Film - The Rugby Codebreakers

The following email has just dropped into my inbox and I thought some forum members might be interested:

QUOTE:  "Just dropping in to say that The Rugby Codebreakers is being broadcast again on Sunday -   it's on BBC 1 Wales but can be viewed in England, details here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_One_Wales

Programme details here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_One_Wales

It'll be on iPlayer for 30 days following transmission.

Please pass on to anyone who may be interested - especially if they haven't seen it!

Stay safe and very best wishes from Wales
Alan Golding"

Thanks for that Alan (if you ever visit our Totalrl.com forum).  I'm going to watch it on Sunday, feet up and a nice hot cuppatea.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

It's a good watch.  Highly recommended.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

It's a good watch.  Highly recommended.  

1 hour ago, Gooleboy said:

Excellent programme, well worth a watch.

Agreed.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

It’s worth it just for the story about Widnes signing Jonathan Davies.

???

Is it ever!

Jim Mills was absolutely fantastic in regaling that tale, absolutely hilarious.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I might add that I'm not ashamed to say that I was very emotional watching some parts of it.

Superb documentary.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

A fantastic programme, one of the best RL documentaries I've seen. I remember it was on YouTube a while back (don't know if it still is) and I watched it when I was hiding from my boss at work. I knew where all the good hiding spots were. By the end of that job I was working maybe 2/3 hours of a 5 hour shift. Also remember watching a few games during the 2017 World Cup on my phone. Never got caught! 

9 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

A fantastic programme, one of the best RL documentaries I've seen. I remember it was on YouTube a while back (don't know if it still is) and I watched it when I was hiding from my boss at work. I knew where all the good hiding spots were. By the end of that job I was working maybe 2/3 hours of a 5 hour shift. Also remember watching a few games during the 2017 World Cup on my phone. Never got caught! 

Are you Boris Johnson? 

People called Romans they go the house

On 14/05/2020 at 00:25, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Can’t find it on YouTube.  

On 13/05/2020 at 22:25, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Nothing to be proud of,  you would have bloody well moaned if you had been docked pay for all those hours you were in hiding wouldn't you?

• 2 weeks later...

I watched it when it was first broadcast and I've since watched it twice on I Player.  It's a superb documentary.  Carolyn Hitt exemplifies the ignorance in Wales of what their ostacised exiles did after they left.  The story of Clive Sullivan and how the people of Hull took him to their hearts was excellent.  Plus of course a British international team, winning a world cup, was ignored by the Beeb.  I don't think that would happen today TBH.

The Billy Boston story is another one of a RL town taking a foreigner to its heart.  Boston, the greatest British outside back of his era, ignored by his local team because of his colour signed for Wigan and played the international football his talent deserved.  Same goes for Colin Dixon, Johnny Freeman, Danny Wilson and of course Clive.  The complaint that we took their best players can't be leveled at us in regard to Billy, Clive, Johnny, Danny and Colin, they clearly didn't want them.  I think it's a poor excuse anyway.  Ok so Wales lost some of its best Rugby Footballers, but then so did England.  The likes of Eric Ashton, Neil Fox, Vince Karalius, Don Fox, Garry Schofield, Ellery, and the rest, never played Rugby Union,  and therefore were never available for England RU.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Archived