Journalists

Hi everyone. New poster.

I was just wondering who you all believe to be the best/most trustworthy journalists in the game? Given the current climate I've had to venture on the web a bit more! Any journalists to avoid at the same time?

Thanks!

32 minutes ago, CareBear said:

Hi everyone. New poster.

I was just wondering who you all believe to be the best/most trustworthy journalists in the game? Given the current climate I've had to venture on the web a bit more! Any journalists to avoid at the same time?

Thanks!

Who do you think are the best/ most trustworthy? 

I think you need to read/view from a variety of places to get an overall perspective from a plurality of sources across the political spectrum - no single journalist or commentator is foolproof.

It takes time and effort to do this though and many don’t bother.

Only taking news from a single source usually leads to blind spots particularly as people tend to gravitate to something that reinforces their own prejudices.

There is a gentleman who on occasion graces these pages with the most thoughtful insights available to the world of rugby league.

He is a much respected poster and it's certainly interesting to listen to his views.

He goes by the name of parksider.

Jonathan Liew isn't a dedicated RL journalist, but when he covers the game, he rarely disappoints.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Phil Caplan. 

Decades of reading his stuff in the Leeds programme and in L/Ex leads me to say... nope. Too many lazy cliches and unsubstantial thoughts; if a full back isn't a "custodian" then a match report is incomplete. His press conference encounters with Brian McDermott back in the day though were unwittingly humourous: someone who lengthily dances around the point vs the world's bluntest man.

Dave Hadfield was the king, just the right balance of clearly loving the sport whilst being smart enough to hold genuine issues to account and writing for a paper which required proper writing skills. I can't think of anyone who can carry his mantle as a RL journalist although clearly Liew is very good when he turns his mind to RL.

The untrustworthy ones, who spout obvious lies or make things up, are easy to spot because they're not writing for credible publications.

Why those that do that are even entertained is to the detriment of the sport, and those who attach themselves.

On 13/05/2020 at 22:05, M j M said:

Dave Hadfield was the king, just the right balance of clearly loving the sport whilst being smart enough to hold genuine issues to account and writing for a paper which required proper writing skills. I can't think of anyone who can carry his mantle as a RL journalist although clearly Liew is very good when he turns his mind to RL.

Agree 100%

Dave H is a lovely bloke too. 

On 14/05/2020 at 12:45, RigbyLuger said:

The untrustworthy ones, who spout obvious lies or make things up, are easy to spot because they're not writing for credible publications.

Why those that do that are even entertained is to the detriment of the sport, and those who attach themselves.

Mick Gledhill?

On 13/05/2020 at 17:44, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

image.png.bd7f3d818e40b47cdc727a2fd3787b3e.png

On 15/05/2020 at 12:51, Clogiron said:

Harry Edgar, Dave Hadfield ,Tony Hannan & Phil Caplan are the best for me. When it comes to books Tony Collins.

Rear! Rear!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Its worth remembering that our journalists are different from the mainstream printed and broadcast media nihilists.. They are  or should be cheerleaders for fans, clubs and game, communicators, analysts, enthusiasts, subject matter experts and  more. We might not agree with all they say, we might feel that they should question the game and its personalities more harshly than they do, but I think they have the balance right.  They provide a two-way channel between fans and the clubs, too.  Our press is more akin the neutral trade press than to the  self-obsessed print and broadcast media. I do not want them to be some sort of Tomás de Torquemada analogue.

Disclosure: I am not connected in any way with any of our journalists. 

On 13/05/2020 at 17:44, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

There is a gentleman who on occasion graces these pages with the most thoughtful insights available to the world of rugby league.

He is a much respected poster and it's certainly interesting to listen to his views.

Allegedly he was banned on TRL _ can you confirm this Webmaster ?-  and has moved to RLFans his nom de plume changing from South Leeds to South Yorkshire ?

On 15/05/2020 at 18:55, Mr Plow said:

Mick Gledhill?

Give the game caller a break - His recent Scoop on twitter from "The Sports Consultant" cheered me up no end especially as it got a pile on from Arron Bower, Steve Mascord and the chairman of Wakefield  - all that was missing was a tweet from Marwan.

Its the oldest trick in the book, devise an idea and market test it by leaking to a sports journalist looking for a scoop and then gauge the amount of flack you get to see if the proposal has legs or not. Remember when Catalans looked like having to pay a bond to the RFL if they got to Wembley despite being Cup Holders at the time - That was a judicious leak and one that put to bed any thoughs of charging Catalans.

Have got an idea who "The Sports Consultant" may be but I will keep it to myself

Care Bear assuming your not from the fourth estate yourself, here a link to another ex-TRL poster who continues to divide opinion on both sides of the globe and even in Chorley...

http://www.leaguefreak.com/super-league-restructure-plans-miss-the-point-the-british-game-is-broken-43458/

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Archived