Possible restart?

townie88

Interesting to read yesterday that two working groups have been set up between champ and L1 clubs to consider how we can potentially restart RL behind closed doors. 

One group considering the logistics behind carrying out the games and possible broadcasting. The other considering revenue opportunities.

What's peoples thoughts? Would you like to see RL back even if it meant only seeing games from a computer/TV screen?

I can see it working if some sort of streaming subscription can be put in place to still get the club some income. 

There are still plenty of hurdles to overcome to make it safe for players and staff to train and play. But these discussions show were taking steps in the right direction.

Hope everyone is safe and well!

I personally don't see it being worth doing for lower level clubs and I am also not sure that Rugby should be re-started until a vaccine is in place as it is different to other sports due to the close contact nature of the game.

Even with streaming if our average home gate is 900 I cannot see anywhere near that number subscribing to view our games and you are also losing Bar takings,half time draw and match day sponsors income so without financial support from the league we would be losing money every game.Lets just hope a vaccine is not too far away and we can all get our lives back to some sort of normal.

Keep safe everyone and spare a thought for everyone who has lost a loved one during this awful Pandemic.

1 hour ago, Cumberland Sausage said:

not sure that Rugby should be re-started until a vaccine is in place

I don’t envy people making decisions on restarting anything , foremost here in this regard sports and the logistics around them . These could literally be life or death decisions . It’s very very difficult . I want to watch sport , I want to go to sport ... it’s a massive morale booster ...but then you’re asking people to risk themselves for our entertainment . But then can we really hold things off in close quarter sports until a vaccine is found ? I notice that timescale is being pushed back on several news reports to ‘ a year or two ‘, and some say that’s rapid . And finding one isn’t even a given . Very tough . How many clubs will survive , even sports could buckle and ours isn’t flush with cash .Risk and reward is a bad dilemma .Good luck to all the sporting administrations in their deliberations , they’ll need it . Huge calls to be made

I don't have the statistics to hand at the moment but I did see a good interview with the head of ONS (Office of national Statistics) in which he indicated the deaths in and therefore risks involved to various age groups. On the basis of these facts there could be a chance of restarting with the players themselves assessing the risks and making their judgements. I also think the advent of more testing offers a better hope rather than waiting for a vaccine of which timing and certainty is unknown. This virus isn't going away any time soon so at some point we will all be making decisions based on our understanding of the risk.

Interesting to see footballs 2nd division calling a halt to the season and promoting teams at the TOP, Reds had the same amount of games left with a 12pt lead and it was called null and void. ? I don't think there's any chance of any games taking place below super league behind closed doors, it's not economically viable. Let's just hope we can get started next season. UTT. 

Archived