Sky to honour TV agreement for 2020 season

Just now, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I'd say it's more good work on the part of Sky than Elstone, but it gets us to the same conclusion - semantics I guess. 

Elstone met with Sky and had discussions regarding this. Let’s not just beat the bloke for anything we can pin on him, he’s done something good and should be commended. 

Very much a Super League only agreement. And positive for the game in that regard.

However, it looks like, unless we get a very generous benefactor, that's it for the Championship and League 1 for the year.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Elstone met with Sky and had discussions regarding this. Let’s not just beat the bloke for anything we can pin on him, he’s done something good and should be commended. 

To be clear, this isn't about 'beating' Elstone - we've got to the conclusion we all hoped for. That said, I just can't believe this has come about because of work by him - Sky appear to have been well onboard with what was needed to keep the game alive and I doubt it took much persuasion. 

Edit: The main takeaway i'm getting from this is Sky are interested in the long term future for SL, which bodes well for the new TV deal, fingers crossed.

4 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

To be clear, this isn't about 'beating' Elstone - we've got to the conclusion we all hoped for. That said, I just can't believe this has come about because of work by him - Sky appear to have been well onboard with what was needed to keep the game alive and I doubt it took much persuasion. 

He attended a meeting with them and this is the outcome. 

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Very much a Super League only agreement. And positive for the game in that regard.

However, it looks like, unless we get a very generous benefactor, that's it for the Championship and League 1 for the year.

well, yes - that is the content the Sky contract is primarily for....

Just now, philipw said:

well, yes - that is the content the Sky contract is primarily for....

Indeed. But it gives greater clarity into what is and isn't possible.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

He attended a meeting with them and this is the outcome. 

So that deserves giving him credit? That's literally the bare minimum requirement of his job as CEO of SL. Like I've said, I'm not interested in making this negative about Elstone, more that we equally beat Sky with a stick as often as we do SL/RFL - on this occasion it appears they are the ones who deserve some credit. 

3 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

So that deserves giving him credit? That's literally the bare minimum requirement of his job as CEO of SL. Like I've said, I'm not interested in making this negative about Elstone, more that we equally beat Sky with a stick as often as we do SL/RFL - on this occasion it appears they are the ones who deserve some credit. 

Yes, it does. 

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Sweet - well must dash, i'm off to tell my board I deserve credit (possibly a pay rise?) deserved or not because I've sat in on so many meetings the past few weeks. Meanwhile, back in reality that's not how it goes down. 

Are you the CEO, discussing big events as per Elstone? 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Are you the CEO, discussing big events as per Elstone? 

Nope, I'm MD - the one who actually does all the work! 

But in all seriousness - without being privvy to the actual discussions, we're both just taking opposing views on who steered this. My gut feel is Sky were more than willing to do what was required to keep the show on the road - i've eluded to them showing this kind of sentiment in other threads re contractual renewals before. Elstone no doubt played a role (being the CEO) but I doubt he made this happen. 

Good news but underlines how fragile rugby league is.

What is the strategic thinking/planning,other than moving from one crisis to another. Its alright criticising union but at least they have a fall back situation. I like Ken Davy but how much longer can SL put up with one man financing a club playing infront of 5,000 speccies in a 25,000 stadium? Grounds of Cas and Wakefield are an embarrassment and put off potential sponsors/investors,,two clubs in one city,no prospect of Newcastle and London being regular clubs in SL,Salford etc,etc,

Basically,just shows how weak SL is,when they have little option but to put up with the above. No easy solutions but no strategic thinking either.

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Nope, I'm MD - the one who actually does all the work! 

But in all seriousness - without being privvy to the actual discussions, we're both just taking opposing views on who steered this. My gut feel is Sky were more than willing to do what was required to keep the show on the road - i've eluded to them showing this kind of sentiment in other threads re contractual renewals before. Elstone no doubt played a role (being the CEO) but I doubt he made this happen. 

Course you are hahaha.

So whether he went in all guns blazing (unlikely) or went in and discussed with Sky about the issues the game faces, the need for the money, the plans for a restart etc and discussed a plethora of other things (more likely), he’s still come out with a good result. 

5 minutes ago, cookey said:

Good news but underlines how fragile rugby league is.

What is the strategic thinking/planning,other than moving from one crisis to another. Its alright criticising union but at least they have a fall back situation. I like Ken Davy but how much longer can SL put up with one man financing a club playing infront of 5,000 speccies in a 25,000 stadium? Grounds of Cas and Wakefield are an embarrassment and put off potential sponsors/investors,,two clubs in one city,no prospect of Newcastle and London being regular clubs in SL,Salford etc,etc,

Basically,just shows how weak SL is,when they have little option but to put up with the above. No easy solutions but no strategic thinking either.

The people propping up loss-making rugby union clubs have to put a hell of a lot more in than the people who prop up loss-making Super League clubs.

1 minute ago, M j M said:

The people propping up loss-making rugby union clubs have to put a hell of a lot more in than the people who prop up loss-making Super League clubs.

They area lot more of them and they have far more money.Simples.

I'd be interested to know the average age of the 12 SL owners if anyone cares to tell me. I suspect over 60yrs and probably close to 70 yrs.

All I'm saying is that we cant keep papering over the cracks,someone has to have a vision. We wont all agree on it,indeed,inevitably people will disagree and have a better solution but we cant just keep going with the existing 12 clubs,with low crowds,poor grounds,debts etc.

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Course you are hahaha.

So whether he went in all guns blazing (unlikely) or went in and discussed with Sky about the issues the game faces, the need for the money, the plans for a restart etc and discussed a plethora of other things (more likely), he’s still come out with a good result. 

I'd suggest you know little about business acumen if you think Elstone did any more than go into these talks and get what he was given. What was his bargaining chip in the discussions? Sky are well aware of SL clubs finances and how the sport would collapse without the money (not in their interests) so any decision they made was their own. Elstone would've just had to sit there, nod and say thank you....to Sky. 

3 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I'd suggest you know little about business acumen if you think Elstone did any more than go into these talks and get what he was given. What was his bargaining chip in the discussions? Sky are well aware of SL clubs finances and how the sport would collapse without the money (not in their interests) so any decision they made was their own. Elstone would've just had to sit there, nod and say thank you....to Sky. 

Reading that I’m not sure you’re going to take off your anti “$uper Greed” glasses, so let’s not bother. 

Archived