France 'Provincial' League Proposed for 2022

This was announced by the French Federation for 2022 and it looks like it's gonna tie in with one of the proposed Euro xiii leagues with the top two qualifying for that comp.

https://treizemondial.fr/un-championnat-deurope-des-provinces-des-2022/

This is definitely the direction the French game should be going in. It's essentialy each of French Rugby League's most populated catchment areas with the addition of Paris and Lyon. 

I do think it needs tweaking to be a success but it has lots of potential. The key to making this a success is branding each of the teams correctly. For example, Paris and Lyon are included which are big cities but then Toulouse are branded as Midi-Pyrenees. The Toulouse name has alot of power in both codes of Rugby and people don't identify culturally with 'Midi-Pyrenees'. Ditto, Aquitaine Leopards is a better brand than lifeless Nouvelle-Aquitaine. I would also strongly question why Paris needs to be in it straight away. the city has no core rl support, no Elite 1 or 2 team or even a national division team and it's an expensive city to operate in. I would suggest take them out and make it a 7 team comp or replace them with Toulon.

Overall the federation have to be really ambitious about this concept and see this potentially as a pathway to a pro French comp. But they've got to get the branding of each club name right, don't just pull names out of a hat. Think about what resonates with fans and sponsors.

The teams should look like this: 

Catalan Dragons 

Aude Cathars 

Toulouse Olympique 

PACA Or Avignon 

Lyon 

Aquitaine Leopards 

Union Treiziste Tarn (UTT) 

As I read it sounds like a 8 team mini comp or a revised Super XIII idea.

I assume it would be a 14 round home and away season and then a final. 

What ever it is hopefully it can be televised/streamed.

"European Championship of the provinces

It will be set up from 2022. This championship will force us to finish the season in May because the European Championship of the provinces will be following.

8 teams have been identified: Paris, Lyon, PACA, Aude Cathare, Catalans, Midi-Pyrénées, Tarn, New Aquitaine.

The 2 finalists would go to play the European Championship of Provinces in May." (Google Translate)

https://www.ffr13.fr/actualite-a-la-une/communique-actions-perspectives-de-reprise/

I'm in two minds about the sense of having this competition so I'd like to know more about the proposed format and especially what it's objectives are. 

A full eight team home and away schedule seems out of the question given players' club commitments but pools and a final should be doable. 

My initial concern is that the FFR 13 and partners should be working to raise the profile of its Elite leagues and does this proposal detract from that?

2 hours ago, Number 16 said:

I'm in two minds about the sense of having this competition so I'd like to know more about the proposed format and especially what it's objectives are. 

A full eight team home and away schedule seems out of the question given players' club commitments but pools and a final should be doable. 

My initial concern is that the FFR 13 and partners should be working to raise the profile of its Elite leagues and does this proposal detract from that?

This is a great idea but my concern is that the French federation and the club's involved aren't going to maximise this opportunity. I see this as being the first step towards a French pro comp with its key centres and a couple of big cities but I fear that the French just see this as a qualifying comp that will end up being poorly run just like the East v West Origin concept which has been a disaster. 

They should be trying to get this on a national broadcaster and promoting the hell out of it. 

My other reservation is that with the history of French Rugby League they should be aiming for parity with the top UK and NRL clubs and not a Tier 4 European league 

Something else that's worth mentioning is that with Covid the practicality of international club competitions may not be feasible and Toulouse and Catalan should assess the possibility of a home grown French competition and this type of concept could be it.

2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Something else that's worth mentioning is that with Covid the practicality of international club competitions may not be feasible and Toulouse and Catalan should assess the possibility of a home grown French competition and this type of concept could be it.

Are you saying that the teams in the RFL league system should now drop that and  concentrate on being a part of the FFR instead? 

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Are you saying that the teams in the RFL league system should now drop that and  concentrate on being a part of the FFR instead? 

No but in the current climate they should leave all options on the table 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, stevevalerugby said:

And we know how that turned out.

Obviously not ideally, but there was no other real other option.  They couldn't keep going with 10 small clubs in dilapidated grounds. 

On 15/05/2020 at 19:04, barnyia said:

Just hot air as the elections are coming up very soon for the French fédération 

On this note Barnyia who is in the front seat. my friend Bernard Baldy from Cahors sent me a list of who is running and apart from the current president I had never heard of them.

Paul

15 hours ago, barnyia said:

I've no idea, I know gael tallec is on a list/supporting someone but they've not given the name of the candidate 

What are the thoughts of French supporters/media on the reign of Palanques? I know he’s been criticised by some national players but he’s also managed to get RL back in schools if I recall correctly. 

How’s he viewed - has he underachieved? Or is it a bit of poisoned chalice?

Its difficult in France as many of the good people have left the game due to silly infighting over the years and some regimes have been dominated by the blazer and tie brigade, I always have the feeling that the president is in a no win situation however there have been some positives one being the retirement of the Secretary General in Paris after god knows how many years who was a total technocrat and put many obstacles up v anyone who came up with other ideas and threatened the status quo.

Nicolas Laurat was very approachable Jean Paul Ferre before him took a lot of stick but had the game at heart Carlos shook it up but if one comes from either Toulouse or Perpignan it seems the country clubs throw up some resistance just for the hell of it, Palanques has some good ideas and moving the HQ from Paris (The FRL still own the office and rent it out) was a good idea as it was ridiculous being so far away from the heartbeat of the game.

Paul

Most people in the fédération are there for their personal gain and the interest of their clubs , most people involved in clubs are there for there personal gain and their club, so always in fighting, 

Palanque  has got the fédération out of debt but the game is too far gone, no matter how hard he tries or  what changes are made we'll never get back to the glory days or get recognized as a real sport in France. 

Sorry for the negative comments! 

August 2018 50,000 Wembley Catalans make history taking the Challenge cup across the Channel.

June  2019 31,555 Camp Nou Barcelona Catalans create a record Superleague regular season crowd.

January 2020 in the Aude Carcassonne and Lezignan attract nearly 10,000 supporters.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

3 hours ago, barnyia said:

Most people in the fédération are there for their personal gain and the interest of their clubs , most people involved in clubs are there for there personal gain and their club, so always in fighting, 

Palanque  has got the fédération out of debt but the game is too far gone, no matter how hard he tries or  what changes are made we'll never get back to the glory days or get recognized as a real sport in France. 

Sorry for the negative comments! 

Understand Barnyia PM me its worth a last shot ?

Paul

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Was that for a league game? What sort of crowds do most teams in Elite 1 and Elite 2 

Lézignan-Corbières get from 1000 to 100, limoux the same carcassonne around 400, catalans à couple of hundred, like the rest of the teams, the teams in the aude get the most fans but not many! 

....plus this weekend could have seen a near 18,000 crowd in Toulouse for double-header Catalans-Leeds and TO-London Broncos. Hopefully next year.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Archived