TWP's Bob Hunter interview

He was on TheFan590 today with Blair and Brunt. He didn't have much to say. He said the RFL included them, Catalan and Toulouse in the aid request to the government more out of politeness than anything else but warned them it was unlikely they'd get anything. Neither host asked if they applied to the Canadian gov't for aid.

He said SL had a meeting today and should put out a statement tonight but I see no sign of it.

He's hopeful the season will resume but realistically doesn't think TWP will play any games at Lamport. He said there's no point in playing here with no crowds.

After the interview the hosts were openly skeptical TWP would survive.

2 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

He was on TheFan590 today with Blair and Brunt. He didn't have much to say. He said the RFL included them, Catalan and Toulouse in the aid request to the government more out of politeness than anything else but warned them it was unlikely they'd get anything. Neither host asked if they applied to the Canadian gov't for aid.

He said SL had a meeting today and should put out a statement tonight but I see no sign of it.

He's hopeful the season will resume but realistically doesn't think TWP will play any games at Lamport. He said there's no point in playing here with no crowds.

What were their reasons on Twp's survival? Actual concrete opinions based on facts or more tin foil hat syndrome. 

I think that they have good reason to be sceptical. Let’s be honest, 99.9% of Canadians don’t care about rugby league, maybe they never will. For sure 99% don’t know that rugby league exists, let alone that it has a pro team called Toronto, so should Mr Argyle say enough is enough and pulls the plug, or he feels that having a transatlantic team in a post COVID world is too difficult then there is nothing else tying the team to Toronto. One thing that is often overlooked is that once the game gets going again properly and fans can attend, then there will be great amounts of enthusiasm in those areas that have a rugby league culture, is there enough people in Toronto missing the game, or have they moved on to the next thing? It will be the level of passion for the game to remain in Toronto that will help it survive. I don’t live in Ontario, what do those there think?

Blair and Brunt feel the Toronto market is just so saturated with sports teams and leagues that with people having less disposable income in the immediate future the lesser lights are just going to be forgotten. When the survival of the CFL is in question then TWP, the CPL, whatever the pro basketball league is called are definitely questionable re: their long-term viability.

Although if MLB shoots itself in the foot as they appear to be doing then suddenly everything changes.

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

Blair and Brunt feel the Toronto market is just so saturated with sports teams and leagues that with people having less disposable income in the immediate future the lesser lights are just going to be forgotten. When the survival of the CFL is in question then TWP, the CPL, whatever the pro basketball league is called are definitely questionable re: their long-term viability.

Although if MLB shoots itself in the foot as they appear to be doing then suddenly everything changes.

How's that different to any other team in rl though?

2 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Survival of TWP will all depend on what Arygle is willing to spend, as it always has.

I think Rugby League is in for a big shock post COVID though.  Whether TWP survives will be the least of our concerns.

For the interview, it's here:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/590/writers-bloc/toronto-wolfpack-ceo-clubs-challenges-pandemic/?fbclid=IwAR0LHFddayvLNjfo5D_9Szt4bRKecMLGzUezT2yjEfydAgQWQ8mKDyvwGu8

If Toronto is not given any games at Lamport, they should receive their share of the Sky Funding.  

14 hours ago, Omott91 said:

How's that different to any other team in rl though?

For one thing other teams don't have to fly their opponents back and forth across the Atlantic and pay for their accommodation while here. 

That didn’t sound at all positive. Could the end be nigh for t’Wolfpack? 
If the worst case scenario of no fans at Lamport until 2022 happens, Argyle would surely be very tempted to pull the plug. After all, the whole Toronto schtick is happy fans rubbing each other’s shoulders having a good time. 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

After all, the whole Toronto schtick is happy fans rubbing each other’s shoulders having a good time. 

Isn't that the point of all sports?

But in general I pretty much agree with you.

25 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Sure but especially so at Lamport with the beer garden and whatnot 

I forgot that Lamport was famously the only stadium in the world with beer and party zones.... ?

12 hours ago, TheReaper said:

I forgot that Lamport was famously the only stadium in the world with beer and party zones.... ?

Not the only perhaps but certainly the best.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’m certainly struggling to think of another rugby stadium where one end is essentially a pub.

Brilliant though isn't it!

(Fev had a beer shack in the standing area when I went, dose that count?)

On 15/05/2020 at 01:18, TIWIT said:

Excuse my ignorance, but who are Blair & Brunt and in what capacity do they operate in?

Edit. I went further down the thread and saw the link for the podcast, curiosity satisfied.

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

Not the only perhaps but certainly the best.

50 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’m certainly struggling to think of another rugby stadium where one end is essentially a pub.

All depends on what one's priorities are for attending a game, mine is being totally focussed on the proceedings on the pitch, I can't see the point of what essentially is paying an admission fee to go to a bar if that is the purpose of people who stand, and chat and booze whether that be in the bar under the stand at a lot of grounds or as at Lamport in the tented area, seems pointless to me in attending in the first place.

This is a real difficult one as TWP effectively are a Manchester club who play home matches in Toronto I guess that they can either.

1/Stick it out in Toronto as a minor sport with a slow increase in crowds (Toronto people though only like winners)

2/Re-locate to the UK (Easiest option) if so where? The M62 corridor is overcrowded with clubs London has the Broncos Newcastle is a joint venture with the RU club 

3/And here is my real outside off the wall feeling a merger ? 

2 options only 

London Broncos  or Toulouse  (In reality taking over the franchise) 

Should TWP feel there is no future for them in Canada the above would make the most sense  DA has family and connections in London and also was well received and looked after in Toulouse.

Opinions 

Cheers 

Paul

5 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

1/Stick it out in Toronto as a minor sport with a slow increase in crowds (Toronto people though only like winners)

Not true.  While attendences increase with winners Torontonians like sport.  If that were true alot of the team's would be in serious trouble.  Attendances increase with almost every club in the world with continued success

7 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

2/Re-locate to the UK (Easiest option) if so where? The M62 corridor is overcrowded with clubs London has the Broncos Newcastle is a joint venture with the RU club 

Don't see it happening, if they leave Toronto I feel it will be through a sale of the club

1 minute ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

This is a real difficult one as TWP effectively are a Manchester club who play home matches in Toronto I guess that they can either.

3/And here is my real outside off the wall feeling a merger ? 

2 options only 

London Broncos  or Toulouse  (In reality taking over the franchise) 

Should TWP feel there is no future for them in Canada the above would make the most sense  DA has family and connections in London and also was well received and looked after in Toulouse.

Opinions 

Cheers 

Paul

Hi Paul, Mr Argyle's first intention to having a presence in the RFL was an approach to Leigh Centurions but Mr Beaumont rejected his suggestions.

So, it would seem that Mr Argyle is or was not averse to having his club in the UK, I agree that there is no room along the M62 corridor for another or a new club, but should a takeover of a present club be dismissed?

I can't see the point of London though, the natives wherever the London club has been based have shown they are not really interested in the sport, and will the soccer mad North East prove to be a successful venture in the long run (I hope so), Toulouse well there is an infrastructure already in France so to me that is a better proposition than Canada.

I think in the next few weeks dependent on what the Canadian authorities deem to be the correct measures for their country could influence the future of TWP, Bob Hunter in the interview didn't sound very optimistic if the Wolfpack can't play games in Toronto this season, should that embargo extend into next year also it could be the straw that breaks the camels back, so would Mr Argyle still have the energy and enthusiasm to stay in the game if he has no option other than to pull the plug in Canada, I suppose only he know's that, but it should make for an interesting time ahead for an onlooker.

Where are all the other threads death riding the other Super League clubs?

Seriously, people read far too much into Toronto, whilst overlooking the fact that a lot of what is said about Toronto applies to other clubs.

There's no speculation or rumouring over what would happen if a less wealthy owner of an English Super League pulled their funding which is just as likely, if not more, just look at Hull KR and Leigh's respective owners and their statements if they didn't get what they wanted.

What would happen to them?

41 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Not true.  While attendences increase with winners Torontonians like sport.  If that were true alot of the team's would be in serious trouble.  Attendances increase with almost every club in the world with continued success

Don't see it happening, if they leave Toronto I feel it will be through a sale of the club

Who would buy it Tbone?

It would have to be someone or a consortium with as much wealth as Mr Argyle, and as I have said in the past it is not yet proven if Toronto are a good fit into the British League system, the time of the year of the season commencing will not alter and the fact that games cannot be played in Toronto therefore they have to play a reduced number of their games at home as Mr Hunter eluded to is not good on the financial aspect.

I doubt it will ever be a money making concern, it will have to be someone who is in love with the sport to buy it, me thinks.

Hi Harry,

I actually think (Just a hunch) that he would stay involved if the club ends up moving, a couple of seasons ago I was at the Toulouse v Toronto match in Toulouse which DA attended he seemed to be throughly enjoying himself after the reception he watched the match on his own outside the bar in the ground drinking beer and really getting into the match I spent 10 mins talking to him seemed very friendly type of guy jeans t shirt trainers type (Not your blazer and tie type of owner at all) I still have his business card in my wallet that he gave me.

Sorry I don't agree about London I really do feel that with the right promotion the crowds can get up to around 3/4000 (Locals again) there is a market in London its all down to promotion the Broncos getting relegated last season was a huge disappointment for the club (10 wins would normally have kept a club up and 2 of them were against Saints the eventual SL champions) Junior development at the Broncos is superb and a credit to the club and the management do a great job one of my wife businesses has been a sponsor for the last 2 seasons and dealing with the club has been a joy she is certainly going to keep the sponsorship going the whole London Broncos experience for her business has been extremely enjoyable.

I understand many think London is a lost cause however I am certain it is turning the corner and as for David Hughes what a guy he should be awarded a medal.:)

Paul

1 minute ago, Omott91 said:

Where are all the other threads death riding the other Super League clubs?

Seriously, people read far too much into Toronto, whilst overlooking the fact that a lot of what is said about Toronto applies to other clubs.

There's no speculation or rumouring over what would happen if a less wealthy owner of an English Super League pulled their funding which is just as likely, if not more, just look at Hull KR and Leigh's respective owners and their statements if they didn't get what they wanted.

What would happen to them?

Quite right, every one is in a precarious position, but considering someone has posted with regards to Mr Hunters interview that is the reason it is being discussed. 

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Quite right, every one is in a precarious position, but considering someone has posted with regards to Mr Hunters interview that is the reason it is being discussed. 

Did you get a reply yet from Twp on your queries from the other day?

Out of curiosity, how did you contact them, through email, Facebook?

45 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Paul, Mr Argyle's first intention to having a presence in the RFL was an approach to Leigh Centurions but Mr Beaumont rejected his suggestions.

So, it would seem that Mr Argyle is or was not averse to having his club in the UK, I agree that there is no room along the M62 corridor for another or a new club, but should a takeover of a present club be dismissed?

I can't see the point of London though, the natives wherever the London club has been based have shown they are not really interested in the sport, and will the soccer mad North East prove to be a successful venture in the long run (I hope so), Toulouse well there is an infrastructure already in France so to me that is a better proposition than Canada.

I think in the next few weeks dependent on what the Canadian authorities deem to be the correct measures for their country could influence the future of TWP, Bob Hunter in the interview didn't sound very optimistic if the Wolfpack can't play games in Toronto this season, should that embargo extend into next year also it could be the straw that breaks the camels back, so would Mr Argyle still have the energy and enthusiasm to stay in the game if he has no option other than to pull the plug in Canada, I suppose only he know's that, but it should make for an interesting time ahead for an onlooker.

I’m pretty sure if Argyle had bought Leigh, he would’ve used the licence to relocate them to Toronto, akin to what Perez has done with Hemel 

Archived