Super League pushing for return – and with crowds

9 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

What happens to the Grand Final if we can’t have a crowd? Can’t see it taking place in an empty Old Trafford

TV money rules the day so just like the NRL games they may play the final in an empty stadium.

Why not return with seats sold like they have in parliament very staggered

(I'm only mostly joking - reduced seats are better then no seats if the situation were dire)

23 hours ago, Total Rugby League said:

Super League have reaffirmed their determination to get the season back on – and in front of fans. A Super League clubs meeting took place...

View the full article

They can be as determined as they want and shout from the rooftops, but the truth is they like everyone else they will be told when and what they can do and in front of fans.

3 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Why not return with seats sold like they have in parliament very staggered

(I'm only mostly joking - reduced seats are better then no seats if the situation were dire)

And if a seat was in the middle of a long row and the occupier needed the loo, everyone in that row would have to move, and considering that when the seats are occupied the entrance to the ground for everyone would also have to be in order so no one crosses or encroaches the 2meter zone, it just wouldn't or couldn't work, could it?

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

And if a seat was in the middle of a long row and the occupier needed the loo, everyone in that row would have to move, and considering that when the seats are occupied the entrance to the ground for everyone would also have to be in order so no one crosses or encroaches the 2meter zone, it just wouldn't or couldn't work, could it?

To quote the government "We must trust the common sense of the British people" ?

I known it won't work twas jest

Can't see how it's feasible until social distancing guidance is relaxed/removed. That's going to be the key for most things going forward, rather than what is/isn't allowed to open. 

It's quite possible that the entire economy will be technically "open" by September, but as long as distancing guidance remains in a place, lots of activities will be difficult/impossible. Getting even small numbers into a stadium will be among them. 

I suppose at some point, the govt will end distancing, and move to a general rule on size of gatherings - 500/1000 etc - then we could do something. Even 500 would be worth it from the atmosphere perspective, and of course for L1 and even some championship clubs that ain't far off normal. But I don't think this will come before 2021.

The fact that furlough has been extended to at least October 31 tells you how long the distancing restrictions will continue. 

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Would we be able to have the grand final at Tottenham on the day of the, seemingly now cancelled, Ashes test? 

Can't see the point. I doubt they'll be holding us to the booking, and even if large crowds were allowed by then - which I very much doubt - I'm sure we can find a northern stadium available. 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

They can be as determined as they want and shout from the rooftops, but the truth is they like everyone else they will be told when and what they can do and in front of fans.

^ This

The decision is not in the gift of the SL chairman or Robert Elstone

35 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

^ This

The decision is not in the gift of the SL chairman or Robert Elstone

This just weighs up our society of today. We are surrounded by the deaths of thousands of people and all we are worried about is a game of rugby. We appreciate that it is one of the finest sports, but let us get our priorities right.

28 minutes ago, saddleworth said:

This just weighs up our society of today. We are surrounded by the deaths of thousands of people and all we are worried about is a game of rugby. We appreciate that it is one of the finest sports, but let us get our priorities right.

A game of Rugby is not "all" people are worried about. In fact doubt very many people are "worried" about it at all. 

It's perfectly possible to be very aware of the reality of the virus while considering other things in life at the same time. Anyone who pretends it isn't is just trying to shut down people's conversations. 

7 minutes ago, redjonn said:

When they open pubs sport with fans watching will be allowed I would have thought.

I dunno. In theory you can open pubs while maintaining social distancing to a reasonable extent. There's quite an interesting little video on the BBC news website about how Swedish pubs are doing it. I just really struggle to see how you can get more than a few hundred people into a stadium without distancing falling apart completely - and distancing will be with us for a long time yet. 

1 minute ago, Toby Chopra said:

I dunno. In theory you can open pubs while maintaining social distancing to a reasonable extent. There's quite an interesting little video on the BBC news website about how Swedish pubs are doing it. I just really struggle to see how you can get more than a few hundred people into a stadium without distancing falling apart completely - and distancing will be with us for a long time yet. 

yes I would agree.

Just that Jenna Harris when explaining about large gathering was saying the big risk was about how you travel to the event and if you congregate in pubs.The science advice being that being in a large crowd was little risk except for the group you sat amongst - that is if a crowd of 20000 it was the group of say 20 around you that was the risk.

2 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Can't see the point. I doubt they'll be holding us to the booking, and even if large crowds were allowed by then - which I very much doubt - I'm sure we can find a northern stadium available. 

Odsal! ???

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

yes I would agree.

Just that Jenna Harris when explaining about large gathering was saying the big risk was about how you travel to the event and if you congregate in pubs.The science advice being that being in a large crowd was little risk except for the group you sat amongst - that is if a crowd of 20000 it was the group of say 20 around you that was the risk.

That makes sense - of course it does spark some immediate questions:

1) how many people in the crowd of 20k have got it

2) what a group of 20 that gets affected then go on to do (if the 20 round you are the risk then logically if *you* are the risk then you're a risk to the 20 round you.

As i have posted before it should be possible by late August September to have grounds opening with 10% of capacity which could grow quickly so you may be able to expand from season ticket holders only to general sales . The problem then will be family groups and moaning on TRL that's its no fun watching [name team] if you can't sit with your mates....

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

It could be at Trailfinders Paul, they will have enough capacity available to house everyone quite comfortably. 

Cat Sass GIF

giphy.gif

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

8 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Old Trafford though? Youd think they’d move it to a smaller stadium

I dont think a SL Grand Final would be very special if it was held at an empty Doncaster or Leigh stadium..

Archived