Super League pushing for return – and with crowds

3 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

I dont think a SL Grand Final would be very special if it was held at an empty Doncaster or Leigh stadium..

I think if you were allowed 500 people, and creatively tarped the rest in club colours, they'd probably look better than a cavernous empty stadium. 

48 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

I dont think a SL Grand Final would be very special if it was held at an empty Doncaster or Leigh stadium..

I agree. I watched Dortmund play today and it was very strange, although I didn’t think the NRL was that bad when they played the first 2 rounds of their season. I’m not sure how the GF would work though

13 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

I think if you were allowed 500 people, and creatively tarped the rest in club colours, they'd probably look better than a cavernous empty stadium. 

Yet when Salford do that and spread 500 fans around their ground they get slated....?

23 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

What happens to the Grand Final if we can’t have a crowd? Can’t see it taking place in an empty Old Trafford

They only need a field with change rooms and a place for cameras.

I imagine a small stadium could save a lot of rental costs.

40 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Yet when Salford do that and spread 500 fans around their ground they get slated....?

I’m pretty sure the onset of covid 19 will have changed people’s perception on such matters.

12 minutes ago, Copa said:

They only need a field with change rooms and a place for cameras.

I imagine a small stadium could save a lot of rental costs.

Would have to be neutral as well. If Leeds get to the GF it would be unfair to play it at Headingley. 

5 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Would have to be neutral as well. If Leeds get to the GF it would be unfair to play it at Headingley. 

The obvious venue is Odsal - already owned by the RFL so no outlay, and there's plenty of wide open spaces to social distance.

That's assuming it hasn't simply crumbled to dust in the time since it was 'mothballed'

21 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

To look at the situation from a basic point of view, playing behind closed doors can surely raise its own problems. ie: players milling around and in close contact, the use of water bottles and shower facilities, the close presence of emergency staff and the exhaling of bodily fluids on to the playing surfaces.

55 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

The obvious venue is Odsal - already owned by the RFL so no outlay, and there's plenty of wide open spaces to social distance.

That's assuming it hasn't simply crumbled to dust in the time since it was 'mothballed'

I was thinking Odsal but I thought they’d prefer to use a modern stadium such as Headingley or the Halliwell Jones. 

Does Odsal still have a safety certificate or would that not matter if it was behind closed doors?

17 minutes ago, SL17 said:

How’s about moon base alpha. Tesla have the tickets.

Sorry, didn't you hear Moonbase Alpha was lost in 1999 when we lost the Moon. Professor Bergman though is apparently a RL fan, so who knows what might transpire. 

On 16/05/2020 at 12:47, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Would we be able to have the grand final at Tottenham on the day of the, seemingly now cancelled, Ashes test? 

That's a good idea IMO.

The season will not be over when the GF was due to be played and quite possibly Old Trafford will not be available when needed.

There are still a whole host of if's and maybe's and probably there would have to be a crowd limit sufficient to allow social distancing. If the GF is to be played in front of a crowd it would need to be at a huge spacious stadium and Tottenham fits the bill and is already booked.

I can’t see any team being able to stage a game in front of a crowd this year, so if there’s a grand final it can be held in a small stadium, but one that looks good on TV as we could get a lot more casual watchers given that people have been sport starved and it gives RL the chance to give a good impression. Odsal is a dump and looks it on TV, Headingley or HJ must also be out as it could end up being the ground of one of the finalists. Did the York City Knights new stadium get finished, if it did that would be a candidate, and truly neutral given that no one has played there, failing that Leigh or Doncaster.

2 hours ago, Oldbear said:

I can’t see any team being able to stage a game in front of a crowd this year, so if there’s a grand final it can be held in a small stadium, but one that looks good on TV as we could get a lot more casual watchers given that people have been sport starved and it gives RL the chance to give a good impression. Odsal is a dump and looks it on TV, Headingley or HJ must also be out as it could end up being the ground of one of the finalists. Did the York City Knights new stadium get finished, if it did that would be a candidate, and truly neutral given that no one has played there, failing that Leigh or Doncaster.

Oh dear , you really are trying to upset some on here aren't you ? ?

On 17/05/2020 at 06:38, Mr Plow said:

I agree. I watched Dortmund play today and it was very strange, although I didn’t think the NRL was that bad when they played the first 2 rounds of their season. I’m not sure how the GF would work though

NRL first round was with normal crowds.Townsville  opened its new stadium to a full capacity. Only Round 2 was in closed stadiums and it was awful. 

On 16/05/2020 at 21:38, Mr Plow said:

Funnily enough I did think the NRL was terrible behind closed doors, maybe it was a sense of they shouldn't be playing but for me I doubt it will hold any great pleasure in watching it when it returns, the same goes for SL I didn't think about what impact crowds have on pro sport before know, but for my watching pleasure having a crowd there is the difference between watching and not.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Oh dear , you really are trying to upset some on here aren't you ? ?

Honestly I’m not trying too, but let’s just be logical. IF and it’s still a big if, there is a grand final, there’s no way it can be held in front of a crowd, so why on earth go to the expense of hiring a major soccer stadium. Now I don’t know who will be in the GF but I do know Leeds could be, Warrington could be, Saints could be, so don’t use a super league stadium. However this game could attract a number of non RL followers due to the fact that people may be wanting an overdose of sport to compensate for the months with none, so we need a good impression and Odsal does not give a good impression, Leigh, Doncaster do.

This is a fanciful thread.

We will not see  crowds this year.

We will not have any games even behind closed doors as we cannot afford them.

IF we ever came to the point of some  form of play off then it will be the scenery that counts.  The NCL  has iconic backdrops but my vote would go to the Honourable Artillery Co in London. Sky would love it....

42 minutes ago, SL17 said:

We won’t see games because the sport can’t afford it???

Hows about a sport that’s not even training yet. 

Touch elbows.

The testing process costs are beyond Super League club  means . Check out Premier  soccer  for their bills

As for elbows ,  Adrian Morley was pretty good . less so Stuart Fielden...........

19 minutes ago, SL17 said:

The testing is not a cure.Hello..

Have you been tested yet? In fact how many SL players have been tested so far?

Rather making my point that we will not get back any time soon.

Time for bed . Goodnight and sweet dreams....

7 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Honestly I’m not trying too, but let’s just be logical. IF and it’s still a big if, there is a grand final, there’s no way it can be held in front of a crowd, so why on earth go to the expense of hiring a major soccer stadium. Now I don’t know who will be in the GF but I do know Leeds could be, Warrington could be, Saints could be, so don’t use a super league stadium. However this game could attract a number of non RL followers due to the fact that people may be wanting an overdose of sport to compensate for the months with none, so we need a good impression and Odsal does not give a good impression, Leigh, Doncaster do.

Don't get me wrong oldbear , I completely agree with you , and both Leigh and Donny are perfect , but I recall the outrage when I suggested my local ( Leigh ) stadium ?

Archived