Draft system

NFL Draft and system.As a result of the lockdown Why not not bite the bullet and follow the NFL system and draft process. The league can be expanded to cover more teams, and with better publicity will raise more sponsors to the game, —- just thinking !!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • John Drake changed the title to Draft system
4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

A draft doesnt require a college or school system. Just a development pathway independent of the clubs.

Doesnt work in any way with how the game is set up at the moment though 

“Just” is doing a lot of heavy lifting there...

55 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

I can’t wait until the world goes back to normal. 

You mean big crowds at Station Road and Burnley being champions again?

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Only really possible without promotion and relegation.  So that makes it a no for me. (#bringbackthe8s!)

How ever a big part of the NFL draft is the draft combine, which if emulated could find some amateurs players ready to move to the big leagues.  There could be a dozen more Matty Ashton's out there and we wouldn't know!

7 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Only really possible without promotion and relegation.  So that makes it a no for me. (#bringbackthe8s!)

How ever a big part of the NFL draft is the draft combine, which if emulated could find some amateurs players ready to move to the big leagues.  There could be a dozen more Matty Ashton's out there and we wouldn't know!

You talk as if we have the same numbers of young players. We don't!

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

No colleges to draft from, Yeomanslad. Other than that it’s a great Yeomanslad.

No colleges needed for the AFL to have a draft system.

Just now, Mister Ting said:

You talk as if we have the same numbers of young players. We don't!

I don't think you need that many draft age youngins, and they don't nessecarily have to be age capped like the draft combine, and it doesn't nessecarily have to be draft like (just a scout based combine would be cool by me). Just riffing here really off the idea!

48 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

A draft doesnt require a college or school system. Just a development pathway independent of the clubs.

Doesnt work in any way with how the game is set up at the moment though 

Agreed. I can't belive the sporting ignorance in here. We would require a system similar to the NRL, but like the AFL, which does have a draft system. One that is also a major event every year in the AFL calender. Now I'm not suggesting we could be as successful with our draft, but is is something worth pondering.

3 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Why?

Not having a system that is conducive to a draft system is a big problem, no? And it’s not an easily changeable system either. 

I’ve got no issue with a “secondary” draft system, if you want to call it that, where players from non-traditional areas, those who aren’t at clubs, foreign players etc could be picked up but using it as a primary route to determine the outcome of the careers of 18 year-olds is not a good idea, IMHO. 

This was tried in Australian RL back in the early 90's. It lasted one season after Terry Hill and plenty of other players took the league to court and won.

I guess if you had buy in from the players it could work, but only in an ideal world, and this is RL in the UK. So it would never work.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

17 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Not having a system that is conducive to a draft system is a big problem, no? And it’s not an easily changeable system either. 

I’ve got no issue with a “secondary” draft system, if you want to call it that, where players from non-traditional areas, those who aren’t at clubs, foreign players etc could be picked up but using it as a primary route to determine the outcome of the careers of 18 year-olds is not a good idea, IMHO. 

I prefer a system that goes for 20 year old players. At 18, it seems they could be a little too young.

43 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

How would you go about adapting the current player development system to accommodate a Super League draft?

You would stop all club affiliations , and draft from the community clubs at 18/19 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

You would stop all club affiliations , and draft from the community clubs at 18/19 

Yeah and for that to work you’d have to prevent u19s signing professional forms. No chance, matey. Some players have already been capped by that age.

17 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Yeah and for that to work you’d have to prevent u19s signing professional forms. No chance, matey. Some players have already been capped by that age.

Just a hypothetical response to the question asked 

1. A draft could potentially create a lot of post season interest. 

2. A draft would ensure that no one Club could sign all the best players, it would spread talent and keep the game competitive. 

For those two reasons I'm in favour of a Draft. 

Archived