RIP Jack Addy

After Will Forsyth, another terribly sad day for the club.
Jack was coach just after I first started watching Dewsbury and helped to put together that great team of the early 1990s.
Was always very approachable and I remember him helping me out with a school project once. He was still the face of the club long after we moved to the new ground.
Will be very much missed.

I thought there'd be more comments on this ...... For what it's worth, IMO, the team that Jack assembled with Dave Busfield as 'leader' was the best we've had since the '73 squad..... Some of the rugby that team turned out was of the highest calibre. Great club servant in many roles and good to hear the club is planning something in his honour post-lockdown. 

1 hour ago, Therein73 said:

I thought there'd be more comments on this ...... For what it's worth, IMO, the team that Jack assembled with Dave Busfield as 'leader' was the best we've had since the '73 squad..... Some of the rugby that team turned out was of the highest calibre. Great club servant in many roles and good to hear the club is planning something in his honour post-lockdown. 

For me, Jack was Mr  Dewsbury - not really a lot you can add. Will be badly missed.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Requiesat in pachem Jack, thanks for all you did for us but I remember in particular the free entry you gave me and my pal into Station Road one Sunday- typical of your generosity to us travelling fans and how we were all part of the red amber and black family. God bless.

16 hours ago, Therein73 said:

I don't think that this is any reflection of the affection in which Jack was held, simply of the fact that very few people are visiting these forums now due to the current hiatus. There was a considerable outflow of emotion and reminiscece on Facebook.

Jack was almost a permanent feature of the club for so many years and an unswerving dedicated supporter of everything Dewsbury RLFC. He will be greatly missed and, I hope, we will all get the appropriate chance to bid farewell when the time comes.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Addendum - copied from Facebook, posted by Aidy Marsh:

This post below is from Dav Longo regarding commissioning a bronze bust of Jack Addy as a lasting tribute. I have no doubt some fundraising/donations will take place, details to follow.

I've been in discussion with Barnsley Sculptor Graham Ibbeson (Dickie Bird/Eric Morecambe) the above fund will enable Graham’s team to create a bronze head and shoulder sculpture to commemorate Jack’s time at Dewsbury. The 6.5k target is to commission the art and think this will be a great tribute to Jack. The location of the sculpture is to be decided but outside the stadium would be the best place or in the reception area. Please share amongst ex players, supporters etc. I’ll be speaking with Mark Sawyer tomoz to let him know our intentions. I’ve already briefly discussed it with him.
Thanks Dav

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I think we are all in agreement with the comments made by Therein73. 

Not only did he have the excellent notion to bring Dave Busfield to the club, but Jack also grabbed Nigel Stephenson back from Wakefield. Much admired by everyone, so how do we replace him?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

1 hour ago, Crown Flatter said:

I think we are all in agreement with the comments made by Therein73. 

Not only did he have the excellent notion to bring Dave Busfield to the club, but Jack also grabbed Nigel Stephenson back from Wakefield. Much admired by everyone, so how do we replace him?

Irreplaceable.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Archived