promotion and relegation

Just say we get back paying and my team FEV win grand final earning them the right to promotion but due  to circumstance that did not happen I'm sure a super league payment of £1,825,000  sky money into our bank account would sweeten our disappointment?????

48 minutes ago, POR said:

Just say we get back paying and my team FEV win grand final earning them the right to promotion but due  to circumstance that did not happen I'm sure a super league payment of £1,825,000  sky money into our bank account would sweeten our disappointment?????

I can't see Mr Leneghan and co agreeing to that, but good try anyway.

Assuming there will be promotion and relegation in future - Jaime Langley joining the clamour for franchises in 2022

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/london-broncos-coach-jamie-langley-calls-return-franchises-and-says-top-flight-needs-them-back-2855426

Something up because there are too many Chairmen and Coaches breaking cover on this subject all of a sudden..

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Assuming there will be promotion and relegation in future - Jaime Langley joining the clamour for franchises in 2022

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/london-broncos-coach-jamie-langley-calls-return-franchises-and-says-top-flight-needs-them-back-2855426

Something up because there are too many Chairmen and Coaches breaking cover on this subject all of a sudden..

Here we go again, it's like a broken record.

10 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I think it’s more a case of it never going away and the current situation means that the interested parties can push it again

11 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I wonder what that could be, has SL officially gone back under the banner of the RFL yet?

Mr Rimmer stated not long ago that P&R is an integral part of our sport, if he is top honcho now calling the shots then a type of termed licensing/franchise along with a closed shop may hopefully be a thing of the past never to rear it's ugly head again, being so we can get on with rewarding those who on the playing field earn a SL spot and not rewarding those who finish bottom.

Just saying.

To be honest if there was a return to franchising (which I am totally against) why would you give one to London?

Yes they are currently producing some good young players I will give them that but they don’t really have any competition for those players.

But look at the rest we have been trying to plug a team in London for 40 years and the current set up have poor facilities, poor crowds and are totally reliant on a multi millionaire to keep them going. Sorry I just don’t see the attraction.

London is strategic and viable as long as they have a Hughes type benefactor.

RL needs to be realistic, we have currently 10 UK clubs in SL - its not enough.

We are allowing N American clubs into the structure, what is the end plan - it must be SL, so if 2 get in soon then we have 8

We must have 1 but really 2 extra French clubs - we are then 6/7 UK based clubs.

What are Newcastle building towards - how the hell do they get in??

Do we run with Saints, Wire, Wigan, Leeds, Hull and 1 other???

We need 2 tens, outside of which the clubs don't draw gates and live week to week with no ambition but survival

Just a thought, have relegation every 3 or 4  seasons. This way it would allow club to blood younger players without the fear factor for at least 2 seasons allowing them to play with out fear.

London shouldn’t get in, if there were a return to licensing. The whole “strategic” nonsense is exactly that, nonsense. They’re bringing nothing additional to the game, though I’m not sure you can expect them to add anything we don’t already have elsewhere. 

9 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

To be honest if there was a return to franchising (which I am totally against) why would you give one to London?

Yes they are currently producing some good young players I will give them that but they don’t really have any competition for those players.

But look at the rest we have been trying to plug a team in London for 40 years and the current set up have poor facilities, poor crowds and are totally reliant on a multi millionaire to keep them going. Sorry I just don’t see the attraction.

That unfortunately applies to a number of current Super League clubs, or in most cases the only tick is for facilities. Let’s be honest, the biggest difference between the likes of a Huddersfield or Leigh is probably the owners wealth, and I’m not knocking Huddersfield for that, it just highlights that for all the talk about licensing the reality is too many of our teams are too similar in nature for it to work. Licensing works great in mega leagues like we have here in North America, and maybe in Australia, but the UK is not like that and licensing will never work unless you want to blow it all up and start over, and that will only happen if the sport is forced to.

10 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

Deemed as Needed for leverage with tv broadcasting, having a Club in most populous city & national capital seen as a bonus? 

15 hours ago, newbe said:

Just a thought, have relegation every 3 or 4  seasons. This way it would allow club to blood younger players without the fear factor for at least 2 seasons allowing them to play with out fear.

You mean just like it did in the last round of licensing? if you are not a 'newbie' to the sport only a 'newbie' to this site, you will know that the mass blooding of younger player's didn't happen last time. 

14 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Deemed as Needed for leverage with tv broadcasting, having a Club in most populous city & national capital seen as a bonus? 

London is a collection of independent towns inside a much larger barrier, not much different to say the old county boundaries of Lancashire now commonly and collectively know as the North West but with much more greener bits.

London as old Lancashire did (and still does as the North West) has its own parochial insular sporting attitudes and loyalties and each town has to persuade and influence the people of it's locallity to support them, London Bronco's are a Rugby League team that has it's home and plays out of the town of Ealing would they attract people from say Chelsfield, Oxshott or Upminster all still within the London boundaries I doubt it, but people on here proclaim that they are in the Bronco's catchment area because they are all in London, it carries the same weight as if a RL team is originated in say Blackburn and named the North West Mules, I wouldn't expect there would be people lining up to attend from Lancaster or Southport or Trafford. 

In my opinion to grow they need to appeal to the people in the locallity they are based and sell it to them as theirs amd not as a far expansive area with an encompassing name, it worked in the begining 40 years ago being called Fulham.

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

London is a collection of independent towns inside a much larger barrier, not much different to say the old county boundaries of Lancashire now commonly and collectively know as the North West but with much more greener bits.

London as old Lancashire did (and still does as the North West) has its own parochial insular sporting attitudes and loyalties and each town has to persuade and influence the people of it's locallity to support them, London Bronco's are a Rugby League team that has it's home and plays out of the town of Ealing would they attract people from say Chelsfield, Oxshott or Upminster all still within the London boundaries I doubt it, but people on here proclaim that they are in the Bronco's catchment area because they are all in London, it carries the same weight as if a RL team is originated in say Blackburn and named the North West Mules, I wouldn't expect there would be people lining up to attend from Lancaster or Southport or Trafford. 

In my opinion to grow they need to appeal to the people in the locallity they are based and sell it to them as theirs amd not as a far expansive area with an encompassing name, it worked in the begging 40 years ago being called Fulham.

Harry, I'm a born and bred Londoner and you're spot on about the divisions within London for sporting allegiances and actually general allegiances too. To many Londoners from North London just going to the South of the city is weird,  and alien. I'm a bit guilty of that too, I know the north of the city like the back of my hand, but just can't feel comfortable getting around in the south, by which I mean I don't have an innate knowledge in my head of where the districts all connect to each other.  The sporting landscape is very tribalised in terms of support,  and I'm talking football here, because no other sport commands large following and I doubt ever will. People often refer to an area as an Arsenal or Tottenham or West Ham area, even if they couldn't care less about soccer. There's no chance of any sporting team , even football,  getting London wide support.  As for the Broncos, they had a lovely stadium at The Hive, you probably know more than me, but why didn't that work out ? Ealing, nice area though it is , is a dead end for them, as per my previous point, Ealing is a Chelsea or Brentford FC area. For Broncos to succeed they probably need to ground share with a Premier league team,  and stay there for good to become associated with the soccer team . I honestly think a Arsenal RLFC or Chelsea RLFC would get a lot of interest. 

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

In my opinion to grow they need to appeal to the people in the locallity they are based and sell it to them as theirs amd not as a far expansive area with an encompassing name, it worked in the begging 40 years ago being called Fulham.

Their crowds and home venue are ridiculously ######, 1035 attended vs Rovers this Season and that includes 400 away fans travelling down south. They seem to draw 500/750 of their own fans to home games in the Championship and only 650/1250 of their fans to home ties in SL. This at a Club that's been running 40 years including 20 seasons in SL with an enormous catchment area. 

However, Sky knows there's a lot of subscribers who are premier league fans that don't mind watching rugby league when premier league isn't on. So from that point of view i guess it makes sense to have a London Metropolis / London Region team. 

52 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

It did. There were fewer imports both pre and post licensing than there was during licensing and more youth products playing during licensing than pre or post licensing. 

I would be interested in the figures if you have got them. I recall Stevo carrying on that Clubs were still bringing in plenty of Overseas players even though as he put it, "the drawbridge is up".

22 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

However, Sky knows there's a lot of subscribers who are premier league fans that don't mind watching rugby league when premier league isn't on. So from that point of view i guess it makes sense to have a London Metropolis / London Region team. 

So do you reckon that those Premier League fans, who don't mind watching Rugby League and presumably enjoy it, would not tune in if London didn't exist?

If you had said that some Premier League fan's purchase their subscriptions only because they have the added value of also recieving the Rugby League broadcasts and that is what prompted them to subscribe then it would have a point, but I would say the vast majority of those who purchase the Football would carry on even if Sky dropped Rugby League, so from my point of view Smudger I don't think that RL or London in particular has any influence on those who purchase Premier League passes, they have already paid for it so they may as well watch it if it so suits.

On 17/05/2020 at 14:58, Bleep1673 said:

P&R after 3 or 6 games? Get real. Only a woolly back M62er would suggest that

Whats a woolly back Bleep?

I thought it was a stevedore from Liverpool docks around the turn of the last century, please enlighten me if it is different.

London produce a lot of players and have one of the richest owners in the sport. London also has poor crowds (a direct legacy of ownership and successive CEOs alienating people for a decade or more - although this has changed a little recently) and not much of a stadium (although it has improved markedly). It's arguable either way if they improve the image of the sport or not.

I think we can all agree some northern SL clubs produce no players, attract zero investors, have abysmal facilities and negatively impact the wider image of RL. 

I'm not fussed either way about franchising - there are pros and cons.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Archived