Top Ten Sports Films

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Rollerball. Enough said.

There are a few too many dated and self-indulgent parts of 'Rollerball' for me to call it great, or a top ten contender. A fascinating and sometimes thrilling movie, though (and another victim of a pointless remake).

Still...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not saying top 10 but a film I do really like is Bend it like Beckham. Just a fun, pleasant and enjoyable film that touches on cultural and social issues to give it a bit of extra depth but not filled with unnecessary amounts of drama or conflict which seems to be a requirement of too many films these days. 

3 hours ago, Shadow said:

Chariots of Fire

Forgive the topic diversion, but Colin Welland, who wrote that screenplay, was a big Wire fan and later supported Fulham too. This is what he wrote in the match programme when the teams met in London in 1981:

“The Greatest Ever”

Ball out, ball out, hear supporters call

Scrum-half, stand-off, centres pass the ball

It goes to Knowelden, he’s a bolden

Albert Pimblett hears the ball

Sling it out to Bevan, he’s the man to beat ’em all!”

"When I was a lad you couldn’t see my bedroom wallpaper. It was plastered with pictures of primrose and blue, Warrington, The Wires.

They engulfed every nook and cranny of my schoolboy mind – the players’ names were listed solemnly, decoratively, in reverent Gothic print down the spine of every book.

Cowboy Jones, Albert Pimblett, Bryn Knowelden, Albert Johnson, Gerry Helme. They mean nothing to most of you of course.

Great though they were their names were never powerfully buoyant enough to travel this far south on the wind. But maybe one did, the name of the most exciting player I have ever seen on any sports field in any arena, under any rules, anywhere in the world...Brian Bevan.

You would have laughed if you had seen him...bow shouldered, bald, toothless, bandaged from head to foot and chain smoker to boot.

But like me you would have thrilled to the very dregs of your soul to watch him in flight. He was the only player I have ever known who brought the stand to its feet whenever or wherever he touched the ball. Glyn Moses, that fine St Helens full-back, recounts how he played five seasons against Bev and never laid a finger on him.

I remember Workington leading us 8-5 in the Cup with five minutes to go.

It was frosty and the pitch was surrounded with piles of straw.

Bevan took a pass at full tilt. Gus Risman, the greatest full-back of his generation, was crossing to intercept, loping, confident he’d got his angles absolutely right. He dived, Bevan went into overdrive, and Gus flew gracefully over his wake, landing headlong in the straw.

When I close my eyes now I can see him sitting there applauding and shaking his head as Bevan touched down under the posts. He was the greatest. He scored 800 tries in his career, say 15 seasons at the most. Work that one out!

I am a Fulham man now, but if you dig real deep you will unearth a layer of Wirepuller still in me. Certainly, if that frail, little, incongruously bald figure was puffing and blowing on Warrington’s wing again today – I might even be shouting for them!”

2 hours ago, Ullman said:

Remember seeing The Club (an Aussie rules football club in this case) many years ago and thinking it was a very good film.

It was that long ago I can barely remember a thing about it though.

The Club is brilliant if a little a dated. One of the wave of fantastic Australian films at the end of the 70s and 80s and directed by Bruce Beresford, who also made Breaker Morant and Driving Miss Daisy. Could be about rugby league as the main characters are incompetent administrators engaging in internecine warfare behind the scenes at Collingwood.

Extra Time, another Australian Rules comedy lurking on Sky at the moment is also good fun

1 hour ago, Jeff Stein said:

The Club is brilliant if a little a dated. One of the wave of fantastic Australian films at the end of the 70s and 80s and directed by Bruce Beresford, who also made Breaker Morant and Driving Miss Daisy. Could be about rugby league as the main characters are incompetent administrators engaging in internecine warfare behind the scenes at Collingwood.

Extra Time, another Australian Rules comedy lurking on Sky at the moment is also good fun

You can buy it for £3.49 on Amazon. I'd urge anyone who likes sport to do so.

Also, have a read of this: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jul/22/retro-film-review-the-club-is-an-australian-classic

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

A League of their own (despite the presence of Madonna in the cast)
Caddyshack (sloppy and incoherent, but with plenty of funny set-pieces)
Escape to Victory (not actually very good, but entertaining)
The Damned United
Does 'Gregory's Girl' count as a Football film?
The Longest Yard, aka Mean Machine (definitely NOT the pointless remake)

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Yes. And should go on the list.

And I may now have to watch it.

Shame they never ever even considered making a sequel and no sequel was ever made. Ever.

Gregorys Two Girls? Not seen it. 

2 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Then it doesn't exist. Hopefully.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Then it doesn't exist. Hopefully.

It does - mid 90's?

Local Hero and Comfort and Joy after Gregorys Girl were lovely films.  

However....off topic, Clare Grogan and all that

30 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

It was never made, doesn’t exist and cannot be mentioned.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

If @Bob8 is going to laugh at gladiator I’d better not say Flash Gordon then. 

Sorry, the laugh slipped out.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

28 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Ah, dear Clare. Heavenly.

Lovely, as long as she doesn't sing.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived