Hull KR future unclear

I think his scenario applies to pretty much all clubs, including several in Superleague. That doesn't make it any less serious of course. 

Interesting that he mentions season ticket refunds. I think that will be the make or break issue for most clubs. Fans are just going to have to live with losing the money this year if they want their clubs to be around next year and after. 

20 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Interesting that he mentions season ticket refunds. I think that will be the make or break issue for most clubs. Fans are just going to have to live with losing the money this year if they want their clubs to be around next year and after. 

I agree. The Magic Weekend is cancelled but I've not bothered asking if there is a refund. Hotel cancelled and money returned so I'm happy with that. 

I just hope they use my pennies wisely 

I'm alright with losing season ticket money as I am a long time Hull FC season ticket holder so its money I was going to spend anyway and I buy the home shirt every year regardless of how much I wear it cos it goes in the collection so I've not lost money as such, it was money already allocated so I'm not missing it. 

I'm an Oldham fan so our club is probably more at risk than most. These are worrying times for us all. No one knows where this thing is going. I'm just hoping and praying the game can stay as intact as it can. We could lose some clubs, I suppose every fan can just hope it's not theirs. Stay healthy and safe everyone. 

9 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

I'm an Oldham fan so our club is probably more at risk than most. These are worrying times for us all. No one knows where this thing is going. I'm just hoping and praying the game can stay as intact as it can. We could lose some clubs, I suppose every fan can just hope it's not theirs. Stay healthy and safe everyone. 

Why are Oldham specifically at more risk than most? 

Anyway, I suspect all clubs are in the same boat. No one knows how the future lies or the finances available to clubs in 2021 and beyond. More so when you consider the TV negotiations scheduled for ‘21. 

31 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

I have said this a few times I genuinely think and fear that we are going to see some of the current clubs as they are now disappear,and possibly at Super League level too.

And it will all come down in the end to Pounds and Pennies. And let’s be frank there is simply not enough money in rugby league to sustain 37 professional/semi professional clubs as the figures currently stand.

My prediction is that we will end up seeing a two division set up,Super League and a new look Championship with I think either 10 or 12 clubs in each division.And the current clubs that don’t make the final cut will either become a community type club or amateur club or they will fade and die.

Surely there cant be many fans asking for season ticket refunds? If you have a season ticket in the first place you are pretty committed to your club. It's hard to see too many asking for money back when they know clubs are struggling. And I know times are hard, but the money was spend months ago. No one is any worse off for not being able to attend.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Why are Oldham specifically at more risk than most? 

Anyway, I suspect all clubs are in the same boat. No one knows how the future lies or the finances available to clubs in 2021 and beyond. More so when you consider the TV negotiations scheduled for ‘21. 

It's a small club with an aged and diminished support base. 

51 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I have said this a few times I genuinely think and fear that we are going to see some of the current clubs as they are now disappear,and possibly at Super League level too.

And it will all come down in the end to Pounds and Pennies. And let’s be frank there is simply not enough money in rugby league to sustain 37 professional/semi professional clubs as the figures currently stand.

My prediction is that we will end up seeing a two division set up,Super League and a new look Championship with I think either 10 or 12 clubs in each division.And the current clubs that don’t make the final cut will either become a community type club or amateur club or they will fade and die.

You are spot on mate. This situation could be a bridge too far for the game. That said I hope we're all wrong and we come out the other side. Good health and stay safe mate. ?

1 hour ago, moorside roughyed said:

It's a small club with an aged and diminished support base. 

I think in the short run -  2020 -  clubs like Oldham will actually be on safer ground than most once the season is cancelled, which it will be eventually at their level. They don't have major assets which need protecting like an owned stadium, and they can furlough or release almost all players and staff. Basically they can contract themselves to almost nothing and mothball. Then restart next year. 

In the longer run there's bigger risks. Firstly, do Covid fears or the big gap in time since last playing mean crowds are much lower than previously? If that happens there are problems. Then there's the funding settlement for the future if the next TV deal is smaller, but that threat was always potentially coming, Covid or not. 

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

None of that's really down to covid though - the reckoning for the pro game was always going to come in 2021 when the new TV deal is signed. 

12 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

I think in the short run -  2020 -  clubs like Oldham will actually be on safer ground than most once the season is cancelled, which it will be eventually at their level. They don't have major assets which need protecting like an owned stadium, and they can furlough or release almost all players and staff. Basically they can contract themselves to almost nothing and mothball. Then restart next year. 

In the longer run there's bigger risks. Firstly, do Covid fears or the big gap in time since last playing mean crowds are much lower than previously? If that happens there are problems. Then there's the funding settlement for the future if the next TV deal is smaller, but that threat was always potentially coming, Covid or not. 

Our clubs got more debt than anything else. I think the game as a whole was on the way out, you've only got to look at recent attendances to the challenge Cup final to see that. This Covid 19 situation has made the state of the game a whole lot worse. Its a worrying time for us all in general not just rugby league. 

15 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm alright with losing season ticket money as I am a long time Hull FC season ticket holder so its money I was going to spend anyway and I buy the home shirt every year regardless of how much I wear it cos it goes in the collection so I've not lost money as such, it was money already allocated so I'm not missing it. 

13 hours ago, MZH said:

Surely there cant be many fans asking for season ticket refunds? If you have a season ticket in the first place you are pretty committed to your club. It's hard to see too many asking for money back when they know clubs are struggling. And I know times are hard, but the money was spend months ago. No one is any worse off for not being able to attend.

I think Hudgell knows that this will be the case with most fans but he's not going to want to sound presumptious by omitting the possibility that some fans may want their money back. By saying "possible refunds" he's also sending out a plea to their fans I think, nowt wrong with that.

You also have to remember a lot of fans spread the cost of their season ticket so plenty will still see their direct debits go out without seeing any RL.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

12 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Our clubs got more debt than anything else. I think the game as a whole was on the way out, you've only got to look at recent attendances to the challenge Cup final to see that. This Covid 19 situation has made the state of the game a whole lot worse. Its a worrying time for us all in general not just rugby league. 

There isn't a sport that isn't being severely affected by Covid-19. Rugby League is by no means unique in that regard.

Getting fed up now of hearing these whining owners, get on with it. It's happening to everyone  and count yourself lucky you or a family member hasn't got the virus and died from it. Somethings are more important I'm afraid 

18 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

Super League 1 and 2 seems best for me

Nothing screams 'small time' more than an owner of one of supposed 'elite' clubs complaining that his club might be unsustainable because some supporters might ask for their season ticket money back...

Archived