Hull KR future unclear

46 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Nothing screams 'small time' more than an owner of one of supposed 'elite' clubs complaining that his club might be unsustainable because some supporters might ask for their season ticket money back...

Well that would make the whole of British Rugby league small time. Which of course it is, so I don't think there's any shame about being honest about the financial reality.

To be honest the bigger the club, the more vulnerable they are to bankruptcy if they had to refund season tickets. If Saints or Warrington had to find 2 million quid or whatever it is, it would be all over. 

As I’ve said before,  RL isn’t viable full time and to have a future we all have to cut our cloth accordingly and go part-time.

Take the hit now, as going part time and sustainable is better than kidding ourselves the RL is a full-time sport that can withstand years and years of ‘making’ a loss.

‘ Get real’ is the message.

On 16/05/2020 at 21:02, moorside roughyed said:

You are spot on mate. This situation could be a bridge too far for the game. That said I hope we're all wrong and we come out the other side. Good health and stay safe mate. ?

My honest feeling is that this will be a bridge too far for the game.You are right that clubs like ours Swinton and Oldham have an ageing diminishing fan base which is very worrying.Other clubs also have this issue as well.

We can only hope that we are all wrong and we come out the other side stronger.

Likewise Good Health to you and your family and stay safe too?

On 16/05/2020 at 20:07, Robthegasman said:

My prediction is that we will end up seeing a two division set up,Super League and a new look Championship with I think either 10 or 12 clubs in each division.And the current clubs that don’t make the final cut will either become a community type club or amateur club or they will fade and die.

Absolutely

I am convinced that rather than have some convoluted, unweighted end of season free for all clubs outside SL this season; next year should be set at 2 leagues regardless. Existing SL plus SL wannabees / the rest. The days of minimum standards for SL appear to have gone out of the window, so anything goes. SL wannabees need to commit to being full time, not dual reg with anyone in the same league, and similar reasonable expectations of teams in the top tier. I would cap the top league at 18. Ok, means a lot of fixtures, but its an interim year for the game.

At the end of next season, with this format, upto 5 relegated (no exemption) and one promoted (leaving 14 teams) and then franchise kicks back in.

14 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

Absolutely

I am convinced that rather than have some convoluted, unweighted end of season free for all clubs outside SL this season; next year should be set at 2 leagues regardless. Existing SL plus SL wannabees / the rest. The days of minimum standards for SL appear to have gone out of the window, so anything goes. SL wannabees need to commit to being full time, not dual reg with anyone in the same league, and similar reasonable expectations of teams in the top tier. I would cap the top league at 18. Ok, means a lot of fixtures, but its an interim year for the game.

At the end of next season, with this format, upto 5 relegated (no exemption) and one promoted (leaving 14 teams) and then franchise kicks back in.

What criteria will you have,if any,for these franchises?

At the moment it seems the owners of Super League clubs are disputing the salary cap.I did think Mr Elstone was going to sort out the arguments amongst the clubs and present a united,singular voice,to assist in commercial matters.

If the salary cap is reduced,will the franchised clubs still have to run reserve sides,and academies?

Where will all the 'spare' players go to - should reserves and academies be reduced?

Will on-field results still be considered?

Will stadia be considered?

If the country is to undergo a 'deep depression' financially,will attendances still come into the reckoning?

What if all the clubs return to part-time?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Archived