If your club played next weekend....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it was "safe" officially to go then yes. I'd expect a lower crowd as a lot of older fans or those in other high risk groups stayed away. I'd also think that in standing sections people would keep their distance.

There does seem to be a worry that if games go ahead behind closed doors that fans will congregate outside. Whilst that happened at the start of this in some cases, I have major doubts whether it would now. That said, the Dortmund v Schalke game today was behind closed doors but the bars in Dortmund were open and full (to a socially distanced level) of football fans watching.

No. Not under the current circumstances.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Definitely not and I hope it is not something the players we support are forced to do anytime soon as I feel it is far too high risk.

Australia is vastly different as in a far better situation in terms of Covid 19 but it still feels reckless starting a full contact sport now. German football will be a test case for the world.

1 minute ago, arcticchris said:

Definitely not and I hope it is not something the players we support are forced to do anytime soon as I feel it is far too high risk.

Australia is vastly different as in a far better situation in terms of Covid 19 but it still feels reckless starting a full contact sport now. German football will be a test case for the world.

Australia has had 98 deaths, it would be reckless to keep being In lock down in Australia IMO.

Whilst I don’t think nows the time to be having crowds  (I don’t think we will for quite a while) we cannot hide away for ever.

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Australia has had 98 deaths, it would be reckless to keep being In lock down in Australia IMO.

Whilst I don’t think nows the time to be having crowds  (I don’t think we will for quite a while) we cannot hide away for ever.

I agree that they are in a position to significantly ease lockdown such as restaurants, pubs and cinemas etc as well as pro sports like Tennis, Darts and Motor racing where close contact between competitors is not a feature.

That said though I will watch the NRL games when they resume I don’t think it is the right time to do so though I respect that other people will have different perspectives.

4 minutes ago, Ash Hope said:

Don't think this thread is necessary or helpful, just my 10 cents.

Of course it is. People are talking about a return of Rugby League and there’s even been talk from Elstone that he’s still hopeful of crowds this year. If/when crowds are allowed, it’s still up to people if they feel comfortable attending and being around crowds because I know some people would not and you can’t blame them. 

36 minutes ago, silverback said:

Nope,Wouldent want any player to put themselves at risk for my entertainment.

I take the point here, but the fact is that any time you go and watch Rugby League the players are putting themselves at risk for your entertainment.

Definately attend - I am at as much risk of dying through driving around in West Kent as from Coronavirus.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

28 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

Agreed - my point is that the question shouldn't be "is there a risk?", but rather "what is the risk, and how much risk is acceptable?".

Ash Hope has a point here, because even though you could argue that no threads on TRL are strictly necessary, there is no prospect of any games taking place next weekend or even next month, so what are we discussing?

I think there is likely going to be a point where when we begin to return to some sort of new normality that people will be allowed to go to restaurants, bars and sports venues and there will have to be a choice made whether one wants to go or not

9 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Not sure how fit young RL players are at risk. I've had it (I'm a 41 year old not that fit man) and it was as bad as a moderate to bad cold

But,lots a these players will go home to mum and dad,maybe pass others on his way home,a lot more people will be involved along the way and during the game,why risk anything until its safe to do so,have had 3 heart attacks so wont be going on a marathon so why send players into what is still unknown problems,

Not a chance whilst the infection rate is hovering just below 1,the testing figures are still at an inadequate 100k per day, the number of new infections are preventing contact tracing from being carried out effectively and the lack of knowledge regarding the effects of last weeks easing of some lockdown measures.

Archived