Carl Gibson

distantdog

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has to be between Gibsonl and Walmsley for the best local lad to pull on a shirt..

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Remember going to his house up mortimer avenue healey for his autograph whilst he was a leeds player

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

I think that we are comparing apples and oranges.  It is perhaps fair to say that Gibson had the most outstanding career, setting a record  for consecutive games for Leeds as well as playing for Yorkshire and Great Britain.  Mind you, he hasn't had a stand named after him!

No Bi11, and he should have, or maybe the main gate. Still, neither has Ike Fowler. What happened to the club's request for fans to suggest names for the new hospitality boxes top of new stand? They were opportunities to honour past players.

1 hour ago, phildog said:

Tommy played at highest level as well don't forget....Bradford and Hull.

International level??

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

1 hour ago, Bi11 said:

I think that we are comparing apples and oranges.  It is perhaps fair to say that Gibson had the most outstanding career, setting a record  for consecutive games for Leeds as well as playing for Yorkshire and Great Britain.  Mind you, he hasn't had a stand named after him!

He's record got beaten at Leeds by a certain Francis Cummins 

carl still recovered from a broken leg to play a few years at fev and he returned to us 

19 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

He's record got beaten at Leeds by a certain Francis Cummins 

carl still recovered from a broken leg to play a few years at fev and he returned to us 

Thanks KTF, but I was aware that the record had been broken, hence "setting a record" as against "holding the record".  

1 minute ago, Sir Jekyll Stocking said:

And (if memory serves me correctly) he was still a Batley player when he made his international debut.

I believe that to be true, but only from memory. Perhaps someone can confirm that for definite?

2 hours ago, distantdog said:

I believe that to be true, but only from memory. Perhaps someone can confirm that for definite?

If memory serves me correct he was picked by GB coach Peter Fox against France as substitute in 1984? He was still a Batley player at the time and the first to be picked for the national side since winger Norman Field in the sixties.

my Dad's mate Brian Cartwright was kit man for the team that match.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

21 minutes ago, il cattivo said:

If memory serves me correct he was picked by GB coach Peter Fox against France as substitute in 1984? He was still a Batley player at the time and the first to be picked for the national side since winger Norman Field in the sixties.

I've just checked Wikipedia. You were close - only a year out - it was 1985.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

37 minutes ago, il cattivo said:

Thanks. I seem to remember a photo of Carl just before he came on, with Brian Cartwright next to him, perhaps holding a number?

Brian was my Dad's mate too!!

9 hours ago, distantdog said:

Thanks. I seem to remember a photo of Carl just before he came on, with Brian Cartwright next to him, perhaps holding a number?

Brian was my Dad's mate too!!

lovely bloke Brian.

my mum was Kirklees home help to his mother.

she lived on Bonnacord square up Mount.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

2 hours ago, il cattivo said:

lovely bloke Brian.

my mum was Kirklees home help to his mother.

she lived on Bonnacord square up Mount.

Yes he was, and did well for himself too. A bit of a polymath! Didn't he become groundsman at Elland Road? He also write 'A ton full of memories' and wrote poetry too I believe. 

1 hour ago, distantdog said:

Yes he was, and did well for himself too. A bit of a polymath! Didn't he become groundsman at Elland Road? He also write 'A ton full of memories' and wrote poetry too I believe. 

Indeed he did.

i remember him letting me in to Elland Road for nowt when we played Hunslet and been stood in Kop End with 7 other people (late eighties/early nineties).

???

i have a signed copy of 'Ton full of memories ' somewhere in a dusty old shoebox...must dig it out.

Just spoken to my mum.

she visited his Aunty on Belvedere road up Mount....so much for my memory...??

6 hours ago, distantdog said:

I'm currently re-reading "Pitch Battles Galore"which is an interesting read.

12 hours ago, distantdog said:

I looked this up on Amazon but couldn't find it for sale!

I have a copy. PM me if you are interested.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived