How to write a novel based on your own life

I have now written six novels all based loosely on my own life and times and inspired by two things: firstly the old saying about work that  "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller" and secondly my love and knowledge of rugby league, its history and most of the people who are involved in it.  They are titled  One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn,  Two Seasons and Three Good Years.

Many rugby league fans and other good folk often  tell me that they would love to write a novel based on their own life but did not know how they could do it. For them I have recently written three A4 pages of useful information and advice on how to.

If you would like me to send them to you just E Mail me at  wgeofflee@gmail.com and you will have them before the sun rises in the morning!

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

Over the years I have done book signings at nine WH Smith stores in Lancashire and eight in West and South Yorkshire and met and talked to a lot of very interesting people. You were probably one of them.

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

Twenty odd years ago, when I worked in Local Government, my section had an admin assistant who I'd love to see write a book on her life:

She was (and I'm sure still is) very very efficient, had a ready wit and had excellent interpersonal skills. However, she had an atypical external life ... hair changed colour most weeks and she generally wore Doc Martins and long skirts to work. At that time, she was writing horror stories and was on some hippyist local charity website offering advice on deportment to closet transvestites. Everybody except the HR boss loved her.

She recently contacted me via a (different!!) website. She hasn't changed; this is how she describes herself on the webpage:

I'm available for workshops in experimental writing and also advanced circular knitting.

I am the only poet in residence for a Border Morris Dancing side in the country. I have several poetry books out: The Anti-definitionary, a dictionary of nonsense words for writers and poets; Thread Theory, a long poem about how textiles and people relate to each other. This was specially written and performed for an event at Huddersfield Literature Festival 2013.

My previous full colour book: Shuddersfield: a collection of poetry, prose and photographs of Huddersfield, is now out of print. I'm currently working on getting it back into print in a new format. ...

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Can you send some information to Newcastle, so they can write a book on how to develop the game so that the rest of the country can learn from them and replicate what they are doing? 

40 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Can you send some information to Newcastle, so they can write a book on how to develop the game so that the rest of the country can learn from them and replicate what they are doing? 

I have already sent details of my latest novel "Three Good Years" up to the Newcastle club. I  also asked  if anyone  knew whether Denis Betts was a big reader because  the title of its first chapter would certainly have made him smile.

It is  called "The Jehovah's Widnes". 

21 hours ago, Geoff Lee said:

I have now written six novels all based loosely on my own life and times and inspired by two things: firstly the old saying about work that  "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller" and secondly my love and knowledge of rugby league, its history and most of the people who are involved in it.  They are titled  One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn,  Two Seasons and Three Good Years.

Many rugby league fans and other good folk often  tell me that they would love to write a novel based on their own life but did not know how they could do it. For them I have recently written three A4 pages of useful information and advice on how to.

If you would like me to send them to you just E Mail me at  wgeofflee@gmail.com and you will have them before the sun rises in the morning!

Have you had a call from Schoey yet Geoff?

28 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Have you had a call from Schoey yet Geoff?

Wouldn't really be much of a life story that one though.   Just a list of people he likes to disagree with.   I can read his columns in the rugby papers for that and save myself the £8.99.

Archived