Your involvement in RL

When I was on the committee at Irlam, Salford Chairman John Wilkinson wanted to buy us new kits, we had previously played in yellow and black hoops, but when it came to deciding the new kits, I asked for a mostly black, with yellow hoops, as the classic Leeds pattern, John then asked about a change/2nd  strip, I said red & yellow. Both were voted unanimously when we put it to the players, the grin on my face was a mile wide that night. I had made a change to a club I loved.

Welding Star * as the sponsor of course.

Start of an ERA. IHRLFC were a great team to play for, we came from all over Salford, and made it a Club & a Team

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 19/05/2020 at 09:51, Bleep1673 said:

Actually, after getting beat 0-102, and breaking both olacranon in the same match demolarised me. That's when I turned to the DARK SIDE, & started playing Union, Roxteth Manor OB, then West London RFC

Why don't you coach little league?

4 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

In London? Nah, I lost interest. I even stopped going to Broncos/Quins games for a while.

In Hastings? Even less of a chance.

Why is Hastings a less likely venue?

Just now, fighting irish said:

Do you know UK Geography in relation to RL?

Tullsen Tollett is the only Hastings born RL player that I know of, & his family took him to Australia rather than risk a trip ooop norf

Bognor

4 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Bognor had a team for a while, Brighton could, should, will hold Magic Weekend, Hastings is just too tricky to get to. Weekend trains are not reliable, A21 is the only major route to & from London, I know, negative, negatives, typical rugby league supporter.

Nows not the time though.

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

Bognor

Bognor had a team for a while, Brighton could, should, will hold Magic Weekend, Hastings is just too tricky to get to. Weekend trains are not reliable, A21 is the only major route to & from London, I know, negative, negatives, typical rugby league supporter.

Nows not the time though.

Rugby League is a working class game, and there is no more working class in East Sussex than Hastings. We even had a Labour MP, until Amber Rudd.

7 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Football is endemic in this bit of Kent and East Sussex in a way that makes most of the rest of the country look like it's a marginal pursuit. Even union barely exists locally beyond being a good runabout on a Sunday morning for a fair number of kids (though, again, that number is dwarfed by the number of kids you see at the local junior soccer teams). Combine that with a genuine shortage (this isn't making excuses) of pitches and playing fields, and it's hard to see how even the most committed volunteer(s) could put together anything other than a merit team.

And that's before you get to exactly where the nearest opponent is. Are Sussex Merlins still going? Even that would be a fair old trip in a coach.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Thanks alot, it's been alot of graft so far and have learnt alot whilst doing it too but can't wait to get going. For 2020 (if any play) and 2021 we will be playing friendlies against several teams both home and away and hopefully going to the London 9s. We have established links with a few clubs for this. We are looking at 2022 for entry into Yorkshire mens. We have a firm interest from approx 20 currently, with the schools programme and promotional events like our sponsors launch night is should be sustainable. 

Brilliant! 

I’m not prying for details of the Fire Ants’ finances but are they ok? I haven’t got a pot to ###### in most of the time but I’d be happy to contribute a few quid in to buy a couple of balls for training or something if it helped, to help get you started, like we did with the Jamaican Sponsorship last year. It’s always great to hear about a new team being set up ?

This is awesome!  Some really great reads in here!

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Not sure where you get your distances from. Colchester is 80 miles from where I live and Kings Lynn over 50. Also in Norfolk 50 miles is well over an hour, unless you’re using our one duel carriageway (the A11), which I wouldn’t be for either of those trips. 

Thanks for the info though, I’ll look into Kings Lynn, though I think they folded a few years ago. I know they (or people who were involved with them) have been promoting the Lithuanian National team since. 

Admittedly, I am not from UK, and all of my UK geography knowledge comes from Rugby League, so the north in other words.  So I am even less familiar with your area.  To answer your question, it was google maps.  First time I searched 'Norfolk' it directed me to a wider region, then second time I searched, it directed me to a town.  So I suppose that would be where they inaccuracies came from.

Yes, I saw that, at one stage I think half the team was Lithuanian (actual Lithuanian-born, not heritage as far as I know).  I think 6 of them played in Lithuania's first ever match last year.  The fact that some of these guys are at least still semi-active does give me hope that maybe they could rebuild the team again.

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

If anyone believes they are too far away from the heartlands or whatever, don't be disheartened. You can do anything these days without leaving your house.

THIS!!!!

1 hour ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Thanks alot, it's been alot of graft so far and have learnt alot whilst doing it too but can't wait to get going. For 2020 (if any play) and 2021 we will be playing friendlies against several teams both home and away and hopefully going to the London 9s. We have established links with a few clubs for this. We are looking at 2022 for entry into Yorkshire mens. We have a firm interest from approx 20 currently, with the schools programme and promotional events like our sponsors launch night is should be sustainable. 

I have been following you guys on twitter actually!  Great work, I can already see from what you've done so far that something serious is going on there.  I think Harrogate has been mentioned many times on this forum too, as being one of those places that should have a team, but doesn't.  All the best with it!

Starting playing properly at Uni after playing Union before (no choice). 

Committee at Uni

Moved to London and after a year out joined South London Storm where I played and was on the committee and did all sorts of bits and peices as you do.

Moved to Sheffield and Played at Hillsbrough

"retired" due to family and work commitments at 31

Me and a couple of other ex Hillsborough Hawks Set up the Drifters who played for a couple of seasons where we just pitched up with some great players and played against teams with a similar ethos of "having a bit of fun" as we couldnt do anything too serious. Had players like Was Sovatabua and Bright Sodje play for as for a couple of games. Was a way to keep people involved who had no time and just played for fun while helping anyone who wanted a game by coaching while playing. 

Been great fun. Been coaching junior ages at the local Union club as that is where my son wants to play at the moment (only 12) hoping he will switch codes at some point but will be his choice.. he does enjoy watching league more than union so we shall see. 

43 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Brilliant! 

I’m not prying for details of the Fire Ants’ finances but are they ok? I haven’t got a pot to ###### in most of the time but I’d be happy to contribute a few quid in to buy a couple of balls for training or something if it helped, to help get you started, like we did with the Jamaican Sponsorship last year. It’s always great to hear about a new team being set up ?

Hi Eddie, 

That would be great, to be fair the forum definitely helped in pushing me to get the ball rolling. Although luckily we have good sponsorship money and members funding a personalised Total RL ball or NHS ball would be nice as a way of promoting the forum. 

13 minutes ago, langpark said:

This is awesome!  Some really great reads in here!

Admittedly, I am not from UK, and all of my UK geography knowledge comes from Rugby League, so the north in other words.  So I am even less familiar with your area.  To answer your question, it was google maps.  First time I searched 'Norfolk' it directed me to a wider region, then second time I searched, it directed me to a town.  So I suppose that would be where they inaccuracies came from.

Yes, I saw that, at one stage I think half the team was Lithuanian (actual Lithuanian-born, not heritage as far as I know).  I think 6 of them played in Lithuania's first ever match last year.  The fact that some of these guys are at least still semi-active does give me hope that maybe they could rebuild the team again.

THIS!!!!

I have been following you guys on twitter actually!  Great work, I can already see from what you've done so far that something serious is going on there.  I think Harrogate has been mentioned many times on this forum too, as being one of those places that should have a team, but doesn't.  All the best with it!

Yeah there is huge potential it's getting the right balance but I seriously think we can have a good crack at it. 

8 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Hi Eddie, 

That would be great, to be fair the forum definitely helped in pushing me to get the ball rolling. Although luckily we have good sponsorship money and members funding a personalised Total RL ball or NHS ball would be nice as a way of promoting the forum. 

Yeah if you do a supporters membership that would be good, or alternatively yes I could directly buy a couple of balls (seriously I’m only talking £20 or so, not anything significant). Let me know which is best. 

Whilst at Durham Uni, initiated a link up with the Durham City side to moderate degree of success, which Town v Gown got in the way of. Great to see RL in the Uni and City now.

Always was a rugby league evangelist, and still am today, cant recall how many I've introduced along the way.

Moved south, set up a club in '95 and it's still going today. Like Bearman had every role in the club, reaching breaking point many times. We had many good battles with Coventry in NL3 and RLCP. 

This summer would be my last in junior RL coaching which I have done for 7 years, as my lad has reached 16 and only Open Age option.

Far too many good people met along the way - Bearman, IM2 included - and a few bad eggs.

Some of the former players have set up a Virtual Bar on Facebook, where we pop in from time to time for a reminisce - its priceless memories.

I started playing aged 7 in Warrington. Played until I was 40, when an injury I'd sustained (in a rather cynical and dangerous tackle) a few years earlier finally made me re-evaluate my playing career. 

During those 33 years I played for Thornhill, Oxford Cavs, the RAF, Dewsbury Academy among many others and finally ended up back at Thornhill.

I've been an assistant coach (not a very good one), a physio, videoed games, done social media and media work for the club. I am currently vice chair and the clubs junior secretary. 

Rugby has been a massive part of my life,  much to my wife's annoyance, and I can't see it abating in the short term.

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

Not sure where you get your distances from. Colchester is 80 miles from where I live and Kings Lynn over 50. Also in Norfolk 50 miles is well over an hour, unless you’re using our one duel carriageway (the A11), which I wouldn’t be for either of those trips. 

Thanks for the info though, I’ll look into Kings Lynn, though I think they folded a few years ago. I know they (or people who were involved with them) have been promoting the Lithuanian National team since. 

It's kind of funny that Norfolk County in Canada is closer to a rugby league team than Norfolk County in the UK. ?

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

Yeah if you do a supporters membership that would be good, or alternatively yes I could directly buy a couple of balls (seriously I’m only talking £20 or so, not anything significant). Let me know which is best. 

Thanks Eddie, we are currently in the process of setting up a sports club lottery which we get 50% of the proceeds from, it will be a £1 a week once started with top prize being £25,000, once this is up and running I will post the details on here, I think this will be the best way as gives you a chance of winning something. Otherwise happy to receive a NHS Steeden ball if you prefer ?

9 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Thanks Eddie, we are currently in the process of setting up a sports club lottery which we get 50% of the proceeds from, it will be a £1 a week once started with top prize being £25,000, once this is up and running I will post the details on here, I think this will be the best way as gives you a chance of winning something. Otherwise happy to receive a NHS Steeden ball if you prefer ?

No way I thought you were joking, just googled it, they’re great. Ok I’ll get one of them, I work for the NHS will get one for myself too ?

Let me know where you want it delivered to (I can’t see an address on the club website, PM it if you prefer).

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No way I thought you were joking, just googled it, they’re great. Ok I’ll get one of them, I work for the NHS will get one for myself too ?

Let me know where you want it delivered to (I can’t see an address on the club website, PM it if you prefer).

Superstar! Thanks very much! Have pm you. 

Archived