Will the scrum survive corona in the short term

I think there is a chance that the scrum could or should get dropped at least for the short term. as we dont have malls and line outs like union its probably the one area you could drop. tackling will be difficult but at least its over with quickly and has limited people. 

that would be fluffing around the edges.. if it is "safe" for them to come into any form of contact with each other then it is "safe".. 

surely tho if we evolve the game to make it safer by tweaking rules then this is the same. for instance the high tackle rule has increasingly lowered down the body as the science shows its safer. surely the front row hugging and binding for a period of time and back rows putting their heads on sweaty ***** is something that can be reduced. i get the point on tackling but its similar but not the same 

Dropping the scrum is going to have a miniscule amount above zero effect. 

Disregarding virus, I can't see why people want to drop it. It's an historic integral part of the game, it does create space for a few moments and it's always a good laugh the 1/200 times it's contested, especially when it's successful against the head and feed; sneaky buggers. 

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

Dropping the scrum is going to have a miniscule amount above zero effect. 

Disregarding virus, I can't see why people want to drop it. It's an historic integral part of the game, it does create space for a few moments and it's always a good laugh the 1/200 times it's contested, especially when it's successful against the head and feed; sneaky buggers. 

When was the last successful one?

Whenever I have seen the ball come out on the "wrong side" since uncontested scrums were intorduced, I have only ever noticed that the Ref finds something wrong and orders down again!

I think it could bery well be dropped and I agree it would be a bit pointless. In German football we saw man marking for corners and tackling yet also "socially distanced celebrations". 

I reckon symbolic moves like this will be brought in to make it look like people are doing the right thing, but I don't think it will have much effect.

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think it could bery well be dropped and I agree it would be a bit pointless. In German football we saw man marking for corners and tackling yet also "socially distanced celebrations". 

I reckon symbolic moves like this will be brought in to make it look like people are doing the right thing, but I don't think it will have much effect.

"Gernan Football" you actually watched did you Tommy, geez.

There must be some potion, medication or even an alternative medicinal practise that can sort you out! 

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Whenever I have seen the ball come out on the "wrong side" since uncontested scrums were intorduced, I have only ever noticed that the Ref finds something wrong and orders down again!

Happens more than ya think. 

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Shouldn't bin scrums, they provide a good laugh from time to time 

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

"Gernan Football" you actually watched did you Tommy, geez.

There must be some potion, medication or even an alternative medicinal practise that can sort you out! 

Haha no I saw the inevitable news stories and clips online. Not got BT sport!

Just for information only, and not for debating further, the 15 man code is considering making changes to the scrum

Please do not comment on the article, so that the topic gets moved to cross code. This is purely for information that rulemakers in a similar sport are also looking closely at the health implications of the scrum. Please keep the discussion to whether this is an avenue that rugby league should be exploring.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

30 minutes ago, flyingking said:

Just for information only, and not for debating further, the 15 man code is considering making changes to the scrum

Please do not comment on the article, so that the topic gets moved to cross code. This is purely for information that rulemakers in a similar sport are also looking closely at the health implications of the scrum. Please keep the discussion to whether this is an avenue that rugby league should be exploring.

"frequent stoppages for washing hands" jumped out at me in that, what a joke that would be.

47 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

One, you got one an absolute plague then! and even that was from the NRL, must do better to convince me Smudgie?

What about the one with big Sam packing down with the opposition. Can be a good crack scrums, shouldn't bin em. 

Completely pointless. If you can get tackled dozens of times a scrum won't make a difference.

The article seems of the sport I won't mention to be focused on professional clubs rushing a back a start. I hope whatever ridiculous changes they enact are temporary and confined to their competitions. I would rather wait until we can play normally than have those rules pushed down to my level.

On 19/05/2020 at 09:29, IM2 said:

surely tho if we evolve the game to make it safer by tweaking rules then this is the same. for instance the high tackle rule has increasingly lowered down the body as the science shows its safer. surely the front row hugging and binding for a period of time and back rows putting their heads on sweaty ***** is something that can be reduced. i get the point on tackling but its similar but not the same 

scientists talking to cricket dont seem to have an issue with sweat so sweaty harrises should be fine... 

I get what you are saying but the time you pack down is also miniscule really.. RU scrums there is a lot of grunt and exertion which you dont get in RL... it is no diffident to team huddling to talk tactics to be honest. 

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

'Uncontested scrums' eh? ?

Isnt that something to do with saving the players so that they can play more games in a short period rather than worries about "touching" 

Archived