Challenge Cup Final postponement confirmed

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Just read the email. Hopefully it will still happen in some form or other, though not sure all our party will make any rearranged date

...Or where at.

If ... hopefully not ... the league cannot proceed, then at least there ought to be time for the cup.

And if the league could not proceed, hopefully not, then perhaps at least another comp... at top 12 knock out "Grand Final",?  Or poss incl 4 top Championship teams ?

But hopefully the league will continue and we see 22 rounds.

I wonder how many non SL clubs will want to take players off furlough to play in 1895 cup games if as seems likely the Championship and League 1 are cancelled for this year? Would the five that are still in the Challenge Cup want to do so if that happened for what may well be only a single game? If they didn't would their opponents get byes?

If the only division that gets up and running again this year is SL then I don't think the 1895 cup will happen.

55 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

I wonder how many non SL clubs will want to take players off furlough to play in 1895 cup games if as seems likely the Championship and League 1 are cancelled for this year? Would the five that are still in the Challenge Cup want to do so if that happened for what may well be only a single game? If they didn't would their opponents get byes?

If the only division that gets up and running again this year is SL then I don't think the 1895 cup will happen.

I agree, it looks like the only thing that could possibly go ahead still is SL in some simplified form, without relegation. Hopefully building up to a GF later in the year.

A year without the CC might hurt that competition going forward, it is already on the decline in terms of interest and attendances.

Just postpone until next year, we'll look after it!

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

If the challenge Cup is cancelled for 2020, not sure if I am right but is the contract at Wembley due to be renewed at 2021 (2021 being the last year) if this is the case, would this be the time to consider moving the final or is Wembley still the "perfect venue"? Although personally I have no time for 1895 cup I still think it would be better if this was a reserves/under 19s tournament, from my side for the sake of 1 challenge Cup game and the 1895 cup happy for both to be canned for a year. 

Archived