Inglis to Warrington???

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Yeah I'm always skeptical of 'paper talk' but this seems pretty nailed on. It's always been interesting to note that Inglis, despite all the injuries he has suffered over the years, was actually fine physically and I've seen the The Mole elude to a potential return before - although he suggested it could be in Union. Would be the greatest ever player to come to SL by a country mile if this comes off! SBW who? 

Just now, Pulga said:

South should have 900k taken off their salary cap if this happens.

Why? He isn't on their salary cap - he retired of his own accord last season (2019), and was not medically retired. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I reckon you'd have been put in an asylum if you'd have said 5 years ago that in 2021 we'd have a candian team, Sonny Bill Williams, Israel Folau and Greg Inglis playing in Super League

Edit: oh and had a French winner of the Challenge cup the year after they were in the million pound game.

Hes been as good a player any any.  Good to see him getting to grips with his life now and playing again.  

“You’ll be in competition with Luther Burrell fir the centre berth, Greg’.  ‘Ok Pricey, i’ll have a punt.  Where do I sign’.  ?

14 minutes ago, philipw said:

Why? He isn't on their salary cap - he retired of his own accord last season (2019), and was not medically retired. 

Retiring and returning gets a bit cloudy with the salary cap and potentially open a can of worms. 'Retiring' is an easy way to get out of a contract and sign with another team.

22 minutes ago, philipw said:

The NRL gave Souths an unprecedented cap exemption when he retired. It basically freed up $300k on their cap last year and $900k for this year, and it was totally predicated on them being left out in the cold because he suddenly decided to never play again.

His case also lead to a bunch of dodgy medical retirements right after.

If he comes back and the NRL don't hit Souths hard it'll create a precedent, a very bad precedent, that many clubs and players will look to exploit.

6 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Retiring and returning gets a bit cloudy with the salary cap and potentially open a can of worms. 'Retiring' is an easy way to get out of a contract and sign with another team.

We dont live in a binary world - happy with this, especially as he is moving to the SL rather than staying in the NRL

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Would be great to see him play in SL. You could guarantee a few full houses off the back of his name appearing on the team sheet.

Fingers crossed its true and we see an official announcement soon, which you'd imagine would be forthcoming now such news has broke.

After seeing the Cody Walker thing earlier, maybe he'll come over too!

Jason Clark probably deserves a bonus if this happens!

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

47 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

He will be 34 on 15 January...

Had to check the date, tbh. Knew he was retired just didn’t expect a comeback and certainly not on in the UK. 

No idea what kind of player Warrington are getting next year given his decision to retire and him having not played for however long but even if they only got 50% of the player he once was, he’ll still be head and shoulders above everyone.

Also, the very reason we shouldn’t be decreasing the cap. 

Just now, Rupert Prince said:

He will be 34 on 15 January...

To add to this,  what is it with this desire to leak loads a money out of the developing our own players to throw it at Australian geriatrics ?

17 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

The NRL gave Souths an unprecedented cap exemption when he retired. It basically freed up $300k on their cap last year and $900k for this year, and it was totally predicated on them being left out in the cold because he suddenly decided to never play again.

If he comes back and the NRL don't hit Souths hard it'll create a precedent, a very bad precedent, that many clubs and players will look to exploit.

You'd better explain to the NRL that there is a difference between playing for an non-Australian club and retirement. :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

To add to this,  what is it with this desire to leak loads a money out of the developing our own players to throw it at Australian geriatrics ?

What is it with signing a multiple Dally M winning, Clive Churchill medalist who’s won the NRL three times, represented Queensland during their most dominant era and Australia? I’m not sure either. 

Warrington will sell plenty of tickets for his debut, they’ll shift a load of shirts with his name on, they’ll probably create other merchandise with him on, they’ll probably sell tickets to forums with him the star and they’ll get no end of website and social media “hits”. 

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

You'd better explain to the NRL that there is a difference between playing for an non-Australian club and retirement. :kolobok_wink:

Man if he comes back, even if it's in England, they won't need me to tell them, because it'll set off a #######torm of epic proportions.

35 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

From what I understand, Inglis (unlike say Sam Burgess) didn't receive any of the money due in his contract after the point in which he retired.

If a player is medically retired and receives his future payments from the club and that payment is then exempted from the club's cap in coming seasons I can see how this would create chaos if the player suddenly came out of retirement to play for another club.

But with Inglis not receiving any payment, does this not change the situation in these circumstances?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived