Inglis to Warrington???

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

From what I understand, Inglis (unlike say Sam Burgess) didn't receive any of the money due in his contract after the point in which he retired.

If a player is medically retired and receives his future payments from the club and that payment is then exempted from the club's cap in coming seasons I can see how this would create chaos if the player suddenly came out of retirement to play for another club.

But with Inglis not receiving any payment, does this not change the situation in these circumstances?

I guess if the deal is for the 2021 season and thereby his Souths contract would if expired anyway had he played on. It probably does change.

I just think if the shoe was on the other foot and let's say Daryl Clarke wanted to go the NRL now but was locked in a desl with Warrington for a further 3 years. Can he just 'retire' and then sign for an nrl club? I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, AB90 said:

I just think if the shoe was on the other foot and let's say Daryl Clarke wanted to go the NRL now but was locked in a desl with Warrington for a further 3 years. Can he just 'retire' and then sign for an nrl club? I doubt it.

That would be a conversation between the player and the club though.  I would understand if Souths were disappointed that Inglis retired and then played for another club but this is a different conversation to the issue of the salary cap.

But this not like the Solomona case where he 'retired' only to play again immediately, Inglis will not have played for the time that he was contracted to Souths.

I would have thought he had had the conversation with Souths to at least get their blessing, he is still employed by them in an off field role.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Whilst I am supportive of the salary cap, I think we have seen this week the difference in approach that may be at risk of holding the game back.

We had a story yesterday about people pushing for a salary cap reduction and then the next day we have possibly the biggest SL signing ever announced. 

I know which is more positive for the game.

It’s nice to get a top Australian player coming to the UK that hasn’t been forced out of the NRL, even if he is joining Warrington. 

We need more of this. We need more marquee players. We need to make a bigger deal of clubs signing players and designating them a marquee player. 

Over the hill and injured.

A once great player, I don’t expect Inglis to light up the SL nor last the season.

My tip is the money would have been better spent elsewhere.

Time will prove me right or wrong.

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

From what I understand, Inglis (unlike say Sam Burgess) didn't receive any of the money due in his contract after the point in which he retired.

If a player is medically retired and receives his future payments from the club and that payment is then exempted from the club's cap in coming seasons I can see how this would create chaos if the player suddenly came out of retirement to play for another club.

But with Inglis not receiving any payment, does this not change the situation in these circumstances?

Inglis wasn't medically retired, and nobody said he was.

When Inglis "retired" he and Souths negotiated a payout of his contract, and Souths gave him a cushy job on top of that that wasn't counted on the cap. Souths then went and asked the NRL for cap exemptions to cover some of his impact on the cap.

It turns out that they probably weren't given as big exemptions as was being reported last year, but they were still given exemptions, and now that Inglis is coming back they were effectively given exemptions for nothing.

If those exemptions don't go back on Souths cap next year then this situation will create a precedent where clubs will basically do the same thing when they are struggling to offload an overpaid or past it player that they are trying to get rid of but can't medically retire. They'll organise with the player to "suddenly retire", give him a cushy job where he pretends to work for a while, then go to the NRL and demand cap exemptions (that the NRL will now struggle to refuse without it looking like Souths were the beneficiaries of some kind of favouritism), then after a season or so has gone by let the player miraculously come out of "retirement" and sign with another club, then pretend like nothing happened.

In Souths case I believe they probably legitimately believed that Inglis was retiring for good, but when the next club tries it on it'll be a rort.

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That would be a conversation between the player and the club though.  I would understand if Souths were disappointed that Inglis retired and then played for another club but this is a different conversation to the issue of the salary cap.

But this not like the Solomona case where he 'retired' only to play again immediately, Inglis will not have played for the time that he was contracted to Souths.

I would have thought he had had the conversation with Souths to at least get their blessing, he is still employed by them in an off field role.

I just think it gives to much power to the player (not so much the GI case but retiring and returning in general).

Using the Daryl Clark example, I imagine Warringtons blessing would be along the lines of 'you can go but we require a substantial fee from your new nrl club'. Nrl clubs says no fee. Warrington says to Daryl Clark that you can't leave/break your contract early without us being compensated so decline to release him.

Daryl Clark announces his 'retirement' and is now a free agent able to sign where he pleases.

4 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Inglis wasn't medically retired, and nobody said he was.

When Inglis "retired" he and Souths negotiated a payout of his contract, and Souths gave him a cushy job on top of that that wasn't counted on the cap. Souths then went and asked the NRL for cap exemptions to cover some of his impact on the cap.

It turns out that they probably weren't given as big exemptions as was being reported last year, but they were still given exemptions, and now that Inglis is coming back they were effectively given exemptions for nothing.

If those exemptions don't go back on Souths cap next year then this situation will create a precedent where clubs will basically do the same thing when they are struggling to offload an overpaid or past it player that they are trying to get rid of but can't medically retire. They'll organise with the player to "suddenly retire", give him a cushy job where he pretends to work for a while, then go to the NRL and demand cap exemptions (that the NRL will now struggle to refuse without it looking like Souths were the beneficiaries of some kind of favouritism), then after a season or so has gone by let the player miraculously come out of "retirement" and sign with another club, then pretend like nothing happened.

In Souths case I believe they probably legitimately believed that Inglis was retiring for good, but when the next club tries it on it'll be a rort.

The bit in bold is what I am trying to understand.  According to this NRL.com article, Inglis didn't receive any payout from Souths and his off field earnings were going to be counted towards the cap.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/16/inglis-salary-cap-ruling-gives-rabbitohs-$1-million-war-chest/

Quote from the article:

"Instead, the NRL has ruled that the money Inglis earned before his retirement on April 14 – estimated to be about $500,000 – would be included in this season's salary cap along with all off-field earnings for new coaching, ambassador and community roles with the club for 2019."

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, AB90 said:

I just think it gives to much power to the player (not so much the GI case but retiring and returning in general).

Using the Daryl Clark example, I imagine Warringtons blessing would be along the lines of 'you can go but we require a substantial fee from your new nrl club'. Nrl clubs says no fee. Warrington says to Daryl Clark that you can't leave/break your contract early without us being compensated so decline to release him.

Daryl Clark announces his 'retirement' and is now a free agent able to sign where he pleases.

He wouldn't be though - he would still be bound by the contract he has with Warrington.  As Sale and Solomona proved by settling out of court with Castleford.

Great news for Warrington and SL. Can't wait to see him play over here. 

Even at 34 he'll still have plenty to offer.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

19 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Over the hill and injured.

A once great player, I don’t expect Inglis to light up the SL nor last the season.

My tip is the money would have been better spent elsewhere.

Time will prove me right or wrong.

I have a legitimate concern over this. He wasn't the same player in his last couple of years and it was sad to see him struggling with injuries so much, and also now well documented off field issues. I hope the rest has galvanised him though for a final hurrah

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The bit in bold is what I am trying to understand.  According to this NRL.com article, Inglis didn't receive any payout from Souths and his off field earnings were going to be counted towards the cap.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/16/inglis-salary-cap-ruling-gives-rabbitohs-$1-million-war-chest/

Quote from the article:

"Instead, the NRL has ruled that the money Inglis earned before his retirement on April 14 – estimated to be about $500,000 – would be included in this season's salary cap along with all off-field earnings for new coaching, ambassador and community roles with the club for 2019."

He did receive a payout (the job at Souths cares was part of it), we just don't know the exact details of that deal, and the above was only counted on the cap for 2019, but not the 2020 cap as well.

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Would be the greatest ever player to come to SL by a country mile if this comes off! SBW who? 

Andrew Johns?

Stacey Jones also.........Inglis might be superior but i wouldn't say by a country mile

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand he's a massive name in rugby and it's a good signing that puts RL on the map albeit for a short amount of time.

On the other hand I don't know if retired players coming out of retirement having not played a game since the 2018 season is good for the image of UK RL to our Australian/Kiwi counterparts.

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

Would be great to see him play in SL. You could guarantee a few full houses off the back of his name appearing on the team sheet.

Fingers crossed its true and we see an official announcement soon, which you'd imagine would be forthcoming now such news has broke.

After seeing the Cody Walker thing earlier, maybe he'll come over too!

Jason Clark probably deserves a bonus if this happens!

Jason Clark has probably got himself an extension on his contract!

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

On the plus side he is undoubtedly a big name and a great signing for Super League.

He is way past his best though, injury prone and retired. Heaven knows what shape he'll be in to play once all this is over.

Old injured and coming out of retirement Inglis will rip up Super League.

Will he play full back? This is where Warrington will get the best out of him IMO

1 minute ago, andyscoot said:

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand he's a massive name in rugby and it's a good signing that puts RL on the map albeit for a short amount of time.

On the other hand I don't know if retired players coming out of retirement having not played a game since the 2018 season is good for the image of UK RL to our Australian/Kiwi counterparts.

Isn’t Gareth Ellis still playing?

Inglis is only 33

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Old injured and coming out of retirement Inglis will rip up Super League.

Will he play full back? This is where Warrington will get the best out of him IMO

He was always a better centre than a FB

I hope he's as over the injuries that ruined his last couple of NRL seasons as he thinks he is.

I wonder which Warrington player has asked the Roy Haggerty question? :kolobok_biggrin:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived