Inglis to Warrington???

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Isn’t Gareth Ellis still playing?

Inglis is only 33

Only 33, and having had more of a break from this punishing game than he's ever had. I just have my fingers crossed he doesn't pull up 20 minutes into his Warrington debut and the whole thing becomes a damp squib.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Trojan said:

When's Wally Lewis coming??

When is the Warrington fanzine going to announce its change of title?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

He did receive a payout (the job at Southcare was part of it), we just don't know the exact details of that deal, and the above was only counted on the cap for 2019, but not the 2020 cap as well.

I guess my point is that Inglis didn't receive any of his playing money beyond the point he retired and (at least for 2019) his off field salary was included in the cap.  So it isn't a case of Inglis being paid and Souths also getting that cap space back.

But I do accept your point about a player being 'retired' in order to free up space on the cap being a risk of abuse.  To replicate the Inglis situation though, this would require a player to be complicit in this and not get any of his on field contract and not be free to join another club until his current contract expires… I cannot see any player wanting to earn a decent amount from playing RL agreeing to that.

I do believe that this was genuine from all parties.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I don't see anything wrong with this, the Wolves have lived off Brian Bevan memories for years and he always looked 90

Greg posed for a recent Wolves marketing announcement, here it is:

THIS 92-Year Old is the REAL Superman – Kindness Blog

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I guess my point is that Inglis didn't receive any of his playing money beyond the point he retired and (at least for 2019) his off field salary was included in the cap.  So it isn't a case of Inglis being paid and Souths also getting that cap space back.

But I do accept your point about a player being 'retired' in order to free up space on the cap being a risk of abuse.  To replicate the Inglis situation though, this would require a player to be complicit in this and not get any of his on field contract and not be free to join another club until his current contract expires… I cannot see any player wanting to earn a decent amount from playing RL agreeing to that.

I do believe that this was genuine from all parties.

Souths have been aware of the negotiations, although the move doesn’t have any implications for their salary cap.

Even though Inglis suffered from knee and shoulder injuries late in his career, he wasn’t medically retired like captain Sam Burgess, who finished at the end of last season because of a serious shoulder injury.

When Inglis ended his playing career with 18 months remaining on his existing deal, the NRL salary cap auditor determined that about $900,000 of his $2 million contract would be included in Souths’ cap.

Inglis then moved into a coaching and administrative role at Redfern worth about $100,000 a year, but that agreement will end before the new deal with Warrington begins in December 2020.

3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Isn’t Gareth Ellis still playing?

Inglis is only 33

Gareth Ellis was different, he retired on his own terms and admitted he did it too soon. Greg Inglis retired after being simply too shot to continue playing, having not played for some time before his retirement. His age is irrelevant if he's too shot to play. 

The fact remains that rightly or wrongly RL in the UK sport is seen as significantly lower in quality than the NRL. It's seen as a place where only the best go when they can't cut it with the big boys. You know how it goes, especially if he start tearing it up - it's not "maybe he shouldnt have retired" its "how bad is Super League if a crooked Inglis can smash it".

I think a lot of people are expecting a lot more out of him than he has left to give.

When he "retired" he was an injury prone shadow of the player he once was, to the point of being a liability to the rest of the team.

Unless he has massively improved in the last year (which isn't impossible) I can't see him making a big impact in SL.

If he does make a big impact on the SL playing to the standard he was before he retired, then frankly, the standard of the SL is much further behind the NRL than anybody thought it was.

3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Souths have been aware of the negotiations, although the move doesn’t have any implications for their salary cap.

Even though Inglis suffered from knee and shoulder injuries late in his career, he wasn’t medically retired like captain Sam Burgess, who finished at the end of last season because of a serious shoulder injury.

When Inglis ended his playing career with 18 months remaining on his existing deal, the NRL salary cap auditor determined that about $900,000 of his $2 million contract would be included in Souths’ cap.

Inglis then moved into a coaching and administrative role at Redfern worth about $100,000 a year, but that agreement will end before the new deal with Warrington begins in December 2020.

It is probably good practice to quote the source you copied this from.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Truth is, as long as Latrell behaves himself at Souths they have Inglis 2.0 for the next 10 years and will not care one bit that Inglis has gone to Wire. In fact he probably goes with an understanding that he'll have a job back there afterwards. 

Latrell Mitchell to Warrington in 2031? :kolobok_biggrin:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, The Great Dane said:

I think a lot of people are expecting a lot more out of him than he has left to give.

When he "retired" he was an injury prone shadow of the player he once was, to the point of being a liability to the rest of the team.

Unless he has massively improved in the last year (which isn't impossible) I can't see him making a big impact in SL.

If he does make a big impact on the SL playing to the standard he was before he retired, then frankly, the standard of the SL is much further behind the NRL than anybody thought it was.

That's not quite what I saw. I saw a guy who yes had some serious injuries but when he was was playing his ability to be one of the best wasn't hampered because he didn't having anything left physically - more the fact he wasn't there mentally. We all know Inglis has had huge lucrative NRL deals and he retired off his own back, forgoing a huge sum of money, so this isn't just about getting a pay day. In SL it's a new (arguably less intense) challenge for him and all without the Sydney media scrutinising his life on and off the field.

6 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

I am sure the time off will have given his body a good rest and he won't be carrying the niggles into the new season.  But overall I agree, we are not getting the vintage Inglis which is a pity because he is one of the best ever in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It doesn't matter if he received/receives it or not, what matters is that under almost any other circumstances if a player had played on then that money would have been owed to them and that money would have been on somebodies cap.

Whether they did it knowingly or not, Souths have effectively been able to wipe that money from their cap on false pretences, and it's given them a massive leg up on other teams as while portions of Inglis's contract were exempt from the Rabbiohs cap other clubs still have retired players on their cap.

As I said before, Souths probably weren't rorting the cap, but the next clubs to try it on, and they will try it on, all will be.

17 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

What about when he's getting hundreds of thousands of dollars from the club it's self, their affiliated charity, and the NRL it's self, just to sit on the sidelines and pretend he's working for a year?

I mean you're making out as if Inglis was going without when he was effectively on an extremely well payed vacation, that's set to suddenly end just after his prior contract expires... 

BTW, there's been no suggestion that the money he got for his job with Souths Cares was on the cap, and it's extremely unlikely that the money he got from his NRL Ambassador role would be counted on Souths cap (maybe on their third party cap, but not on their main cap), and he couldn't have got that if he hadn't retired.

Sonny Bill Williams (Toronto)

Israel Folau (Catalans)

James  Maloney (Catalans)

Greg Inglis (Warrington)

There was a year when Inglis and Folau were both stars for Melbourne Storm.

How good will Super League be in 2021?

A Catalans-Warrington Grand Final?

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Over the hill and injured.

A once great player, I don’t expect Inglis to light up the SL nor last the season.

My tip is the money would have been better spent elsewhere.

Time will prove me right or wrong.

Who? 

I agree to a certain extent, but there arent many better options 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

50 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Truth is, as long as Latrell behaves himself at Souths they have Inglis 2.0 for the next 10 years and will not care one bit that Inglis has gone to Wire. In fact he probably goes with an understanding that he'll have a job back there afterwards. 

Latrell Mitchell will implode on his owe spoilt self entitlement well before then.

All it'll take is for him to be a passenger in another SOO series and/or to almost single-handedly blow another international and he'll stop being picked for rep matches, then he'll pretty quickly be remembered as one of those guys that never really lived up to his potential.

The sad thing is that it's not really his fault that he's had so much smoke blown up his ###### by the media that he has let it go to his head, I imagine most young blokes would end up the same way if put in his situation.

As an aside, his whole style of play is only possible because he can hide behind the refs. If he had come through 10-15 years ago his 'aggressive' niggly BS would have seen him knocked out a few times, and without it he'd just be another centre. Same's true of Dylan Walker, in fact he's career will probably end up very similar to Walker's given time.

Archived