Inglis to Warrington???

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So at least £500k a year? Seems a lot, are you sure that’s correct?

Given that St George were keen to retain him you’d think he’d command a similar contract,unless he was keen to swap the Surfing on the southern beaches of Sydney for the ###### & Tesco trolley dodging of the Mersey.

49 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So at least £500k a year? Seems a lot, are you sure that’s correct?

Depends how the contract is written and how the payments are spread.  £10k a week for 52 weeks a year is over £500k but the payments may be weighted to the season as essentially match fees.  he may earn less in the off season.

Just a thought, I have no idea if the Super League contracts are evenly spread payments over the full year.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Latrell Mitchell to Warrington in 2031? :kolobok_biggrin:

That's an interesting perspective on this discussion, Futtocks - Latrell thinking, as you might say!

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I hope he's as over the injuries that ruined his last couple of NRL seasons as he thinks he is.\

I wonder which Warrington player has asked the Roy Haggerty question? :kolobok_biggrin:

The Roy Haggerty question? I'm intrigued!!!

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

5 hours ago, Mark S said:

And we have Leeds Rhinos trying to shrink the cap! Some teams have no ambition beyond stating in SL.

I think uncle Gary is mindful of the flashy new stand the rhinos have to pay for ? Hetherington has always struck me as a modern day Maurice Lindsay. On the surface wants what's best for the sport on the whole,but scratch a little bit below the surface and he wants whatever is best for his own club at that moment in time.

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

17 minutes ago, Wilderspoolmemories said:

The Roy Haggerty question? I'm intrigued!!!

From The World's only Roy Haggerty Web Page: "Roy was at training in 84 when Billy Benyon (then Saints coach) and the Chairman came down to announce that the club had signed Mal Meninga, arguably one of the greatest centres of all time, even then. Roy, who was playing centre at the time, turned one of the other guys and said "I don't know why they've signed another centre, where are they going to play him?"."

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Our two marquee players are Widdop and Austin. Inglis will not be one, he isn't being signed on a huge salary apparently, it's more him wanting to try playing in the UK than the money and Jason Clark, Bryson Goodwin and Matt King have sung the clubs praises to him. It's a gamble i suppose for all parties,but he must be fit enough to play, I very much doubt we'd sign a man that wasn't fit to play. I'm looking forward to watching him in a wire shirt!

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

From The World's only Roy Haggerty Web Page: "Roy was at training in 84 when Billy Benyon (then Saints coach) and the Chairman came down to announce that the club had signed Mal Meninga, arguably one of the greatest centres of all time, even then. Roy, who was playing centre at the time, turned one of the other guys and said "I don't know why they've signed another centre, where are they going to play him?"."

That's brilliant! 

34 minutes ago, Wilderspoolmemories said:

I think uncle Gary is mindful of the flashy new stand the rhinos have to pay for ? Hetherington has always struck me as a modern day Maurice Lindsay. On the surface wants what's best for the sport on the whole,but scratch a little bit below the surface and he wants whatever is best for his own club at that moment in time.

There’s nothing wrong with that. It’s his job. 

As long as he lists the HJ as his residence, the 14 day quarantine should ensure we get at least one match out of him before he disappears again.

Is he good under the high ball? I can’t remember from his time in the NRL. However that is how Steve Price likes our centres to receive the ball, so he’d better get used to it. In fact it’s the only way our centres receive the ball. Ask Toby King?

Hmmmmm... Greg Inglis was one of the best players ever to pull on a shirt to play rugby league...but, during his last full season (2018) he was disrupted by a shoulder injury and was (by his own high standards... pretty poor) this culminated in being apprehended after a drink driving offence, for which (somehow?!?!?) avoided conviction. He lost the Australian captaincy and very soon afterwards, he retired. 

Since then he has been in therapy for his mental health whilst adjusting to life away from playing. 

those issues, physical and mental... make this ( in rugby terms) a very risk signing. Add to that the moving and living in another country, away from close family and support networks, adds to the risk.

that has to be balanced against the opportunity to parade one of the biggest names in the sport in a Wire shirt! The deal is twelve months... and it seems the financial commitment is being well managed. 

I remember being a disappointed Trinity fan when I heard we had signed Ray Price to come out of retirement after 3 years... my disappointment was short lived as he was an inspiration to the team and the club...

will the same be said of Inglis with hindsight??? I hope so... moreover, I think it’s worth the risk! 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

It’s what this forum is about for 50% of them Barry, so sad but they seem to enjoy rubbishing and deriding everything about rugby league. 

What's even sadder is there are also a lot of people on here getting excited because a 34 year old who won't have played for 2 years (and was well past his best even then) has signed for a Super League club. 

And we wonder why the Aussies look down at our competition as being little better than Queensland Cup. 

4 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Past his best,yes

A liability,stop being ridiculous.

His success in Superleague will be decided entirely on his fitness.

When you are swallowing up that much of the cap, you’re spending more time off the pitch than on it, and when you are on it you can’t be relied on to preform to the standard that got you $1mil a year contract in the first place, you’ve become the worst type of liability that there is in the modern game; a liability on the cap.

1 hour ago, The Great Dane said:

When you are swallowing up that much of the cap, you’re spending more time off the pitch than on it, and when you are on it you can’t be relied on to preform to the standard that got you $1mil a year contract in the first place, you’ve become the worst type of liability that there is in the modern game; a liability on the cap.

None of that has anything to do with your post I quoted and has even less to do with him signing for Warrington,but nice job of moving the goalposts.

7 hours ago, gavin7094 said:

What's even sadder is there are also a lot of people on here getting excited because a 34 year old who won't have played for 2 years (and was well past his best even then) has signed for a Super League club. 

Most players will have close too 1 year of not playing the way its going and there are players in our league that have had two years out through injury and made good returns. Its a small risk signing, 12 months at a modezt salary they could make more on shirt sales alone. 

3 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Most players will have close too 1 year of not playing the way its going and there are players in our league that have had two years out through injury and made good returns. Its a small risk signing, 12 months at a modezt salary they could make more on shirt sales alone. 

Modest salary? Do you really believe that?

Looking at the bigger picture - with a likely exodus of top British talent to the NRL, a past-his-best former international will be a welcome sight in Super League.

At this stage last year I’d be questioning the value of the signing, but bearing in mind where we now stand in UK RL, I’m looking forward to seeing how it plays out. 

10 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

That's exactly my point.  It is a gimmick signing that might sell some merchandise.  When we start taking ourselves seriously, RL in the UK might move forward.  Until then, we're a professional sport relying on a series of gimmicks for any attention from a wider audience, then salivating when we get a bit of publicity.  I just can't see an upside to this.  He's either a relative failure, in which case it's been a short term waste of money or he is a great success, in which case we look like no better than Queensland Cup standard. 

In either case, I'd rather have seen the playing spot in Warrington's roster going to a promising young British centre from the Championship or League 1.  Someone who might blossom into the kind of player who could cause the Aussies problems for the next 10 years. 

Beating the Aussies gets you the right kind of attention.

Archived