Inglis to Warrington???

On 19/05/2020 at 13:33, Hela Wigmen said:

What is it with signing a multiple Dally M winning, Clive Churchill medalist who’s won the NRL three times, represented Queensland during their most dominant era and Australia? I’m not sure either. 

Warrington will sell plenty of tickets for his debut, they’ll shift a load of shirts with his name on, they’ll probably create other merchandise with him on, they’ll probably sell tickets to forums with him the star and they’ll get no end of website and social media “hits”. 

He will be 34. Wire are into buying old past it centre's.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

He will be 34. Wire are into buying old past it centre's.

bet he can still make Watkins look rubbish though- that's if Watkins hasn't walked out on twp by next season to care for his poorly Tamagotchi or some other crock of...……… excuse.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

6 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

bet he can still make Watkins look rubbish though- that's if Watkins hasn't walked out on twp by next season to care for his poorly Tamagotchi or some other crock of...……… excuse.

None of which is relevant.

16 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

None of which is relevant.

one of our supposed great centres goes over there and quits in no time cos he doesn't have the minerals, one of their greatest centres of all time will come over here and give it everything to prove his legend status - its relevant 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

6 hours ago, gavin7094 said:

That's exactly my point.  It is a gimmick signing that might sell some merchandise.  When we start taking ourselves seriously, RL in the UK might move forward.  Until then, we're a professional sport relying on a series of gimmicks for any attention from a wider audience, then salivating when we get a bit of publicity.  I just can't see an upside to this.  He's either a relative failure, in which case it's been a short term waste of money or he is a great success, in which case we look like no better than Queensland Cup standard. 

In either case, I'd rather have seen the playing spot in Warrington's roster going to a promising young British centre from the Championship or League 1.  Someone who might blossom into the kind of player who could cause the Aussies problems for the next 10 years. 

Beating the Aussies gets you the right kind of attention.

So who is this brilliant centre good enough to beat Australia, that no superleague club has spotted yet?

16 hours ago, gavin7094 said:

That's exactly my point.  It is a gimmick signing that might sell some merchandise.  When we start taking ourselves seriously, RL in the UK might move forward.  Until then, we're a professional sport relying on a series of gimmicks for any attention from a wider audience, then salivating when we get a bit of publicity.  I just can't see an upside to this.  He's either a relative failure, in which case it's been a short term waste of money or he is a great success, in which case we look like no better than Queensland Cup standard. 

In either case, I'd rather have seen the playing spot in Warrington's roster going to a promising young British centre from the Championship or League 1.  Someone who might blossom into the kind of player who could cause the Aussies problems for the next 10 years. 

Maybe you should buy a club and do this then, as you obviously know better than Warrington’s owners, who I’d argue are among the most progressive in SL. 

15 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

one of our supposed great centres goes over there and quits in no time cos he doesn't have the minerals, one of their greatest centres of all time will come over here and give it everything to prove his legend status - its relevant 

I like the way you have taken a specific interpretation on one set of events and combined it with a prediction of future events and then presented the conclusion as some type of fact.

Sums up the internet in one paragraph. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Show us on this doll exactly where Watkins he hurt you? Was it your heart?

16 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Well that’s the pathetic post of the year wrapped up,congratulations.

17 hours ago, gavin7094 said:

mate, no offense in this, but you're exactly what's wrong with RL.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Maybe you should buy a club and do this then, as you obviously know better than Warrington’s owners, who I’d argue are among the most progressive in SL. 

"Most Trying" trying to cobble a team together to win the big pot, they have been doing it for years with no success.

17 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Gene Miles wasn’t much younger and made tries easy for Offiah.

Absolutely.

Ditto Steve Renouf at Wigan.

I remember them both, after initial adjustment, being class to watch.

Good luck, maybe, to Warrington. Inglis in Super League adds excitement.

19 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

What a disgusting post, and one that has absolutely nothing to do with this signing, why even bring Watkins into it.

4 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

What, someone who desperately wants us to beat Australia?  Or someone who wants positive publicity for the right reasons? Or is it just because I don't happen to agree with you that the signing of 34 year old Australian who is many years past his best and who has been retired for 2 years isn't a very progressive signing for one of our biggest clubs? 

For your information, I follow both my club and my country both home and away, whether that's in France, Australia or New Zealand.  How are they the actions of someone who is "exactly what's wrong with RL"?  Or do I do that just to spite myself? 

On 19/05/2020 at 13:33, Hela Wigmen said:

What is it with signing a multiple Dally M winning, Clive Churchill medalist who’s won the NRL three times, represented Queensland during their most dominant era and Australia? I’m not sure either. 

Warrington will sell plenty of tickets for his debut, they’ll shift a load of shirts with his name on, they’ll probably create other merchandise with him on, they’ll probably sell tickets to forums with him the star and they’ll get no end of website and social media “hits”. 

And the club will get fans from Australia through this, which in turn means more attention to and interest in SL over there.

I know that signing Joey for 3 games all those years ago made quite a few Aussie fans adopt Wire as their English team!

(apologies if someone else has said this by now, I'm only on page 1) 

22 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Gene Miles wasn’t much younger and made tries easy for Offiah.

I can't see the relevance of the comparison. 

Miles was 32 not 34.  2 years isn't much when you're 24, but at 34 it makes a big difference, particularly in the backs. 

Secondly, Miles was coming straight off the back of playing 16 games as club captain in a team that finished 7th in the Winfield Cup, having lead them to win it the year before. He hadn't had 2 years away from the game.

Or are Warrington planning on bringing back Offiah too? 

5 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Oh and I forgot to add, was a founder member and player in the establishment of 2 new amateur clubs in development areas of the U.K., both of which have produced professional players and at least one full England International. 

You may not agree with something I've said, but please try to be a bit more careful with your judgements of who people are and what their motivations might be. 

53 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

I can't see the relevance of the comparison. 

Miles was 32 not 34.  2 years isn't much when you're 24, but at 34 it makes a big difference, particularly in the backs. 

Secondly, Miles was coming straight off the back of playing 16 games as club captain in a team that finished 7th in the Winfield Cup, having lead them to win it the year before. He hadn't had 2 years away from the game.

Or are Warrington planning on bringing back Offiah too? 

I can.  Steve Menzies, the Morris twins, Benjy Marshall and the recent Bryson Goodwin spring to mind as well.  I’m sure others would chip in.  No doubt we’ve got to consider injuries and Warrington will soon find out.

Inglis signature will bring plenty of publicity to the game as well, so I can’t see a lot wrong with it at all.

On 20/05/2020 at 16:03, gavin7094 said:

I agree with a lot of what you have written;if not all.

I thought one of the ideas of the academies was to produce players that would benefit the international side.

How would the international side,England,fare without those players going to the NRL?

Perhaps the governing body,or Super League if it is still separate,in charge,running the game,could pay sums of money to clubs who produce the international players?

They do,in the other code,and argue about a salary cap,it would seem

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/may/21/premiership-rugby-financial-fair-play-myners-report-the-breakdown

I recall reading the Warrington fans complaining about their recruitment,only recently.

Once again,the other code has a fella who I find difficult to find fault with

https://www.afr.com/companies/sport/darwins-theory-of-sporting-evolution-20170323-gv4yuj 

I hope this hiatus results in a whole new approach to the sport which moves everything forward...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

This is sports entertainment. Toby King may be a good player, but he won't sell thousands of shirts, tickets, sponsorship, shift hospitality etc. 

This may be a masterstroke, it may be a flop of a signing, but it is exciting and entertaining and gets headlines. 

The constant negativity about a club signing a huge name and not a young lad from an amateur club within a 10 mile radius is rather tiresome. 

24 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I can.  Steve Menzies, the Morris twins, Benjy Marshall and the recent Bryson Goodwin spring to mind as well.  I’m sure others would chip in.  No doubt we’ve got to consider injuries and Warrington will soon find out.

Inglis signature will bring plenty of publicity to the game as well, so I can’t see a lot wrong with it at all.

Again, I can't see the relevance of the comparison.  Why pick these players out? What do these players have in common with Inglis? Their ages? 

As far as I'm aware none of them were away from the game for 2 years.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This is sports entertainment. Toby King may be a good player, but he won't sell thousands of shirts, tickets, sponsorship, shift hospitality etc. 

This may be a masterstroke, it may be a flop of a signing, but it is exciting and entertaining and gets headlines. 

The constant negativity about a club signing a huge name and not a young lad from an amateur club within a 10 mile radius is rather tiresome. 

Constant negativity? Many of the comments on here are very positive, probably more of them than the negative ones.  However, some, including me, have doubts.  But it is a forum for expressing different opinions, after all, isn't it? 

31 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

Constant negativity? Many of the comments on here are very positive, probably more of them than the negative ones.  However, some, including me, have doubts.  But it is a forum for expressing different opinions, after all, isn't it? 

Constant as in no matter who is signed that view will always be put forward. 

Archived