Inglis to Warrington???

at  the end of the day inglis himself must feel he can do a job or he wouldn't be coming, a job in an alien environment very different to home takes a special kind of attitude - the attitude of a born winner- hes backing himself on this one - good luck - will be great to see a true legend of the game in sl 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Its ridiculous. It's just stupid RL parochial nonsense.

The idea that there is a league 1 centre as good as Inglis even now. Is just laughable.

There is a section of RL in this country utterly obsessed with seeing the game be the worst it can be

19 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

So who is this brilliant centre good enough to beat Australia, that no superleague club has spotted yet?

Both of these posts miss the point. 

The question shouldn't be 'Is this player the best available to us at the present time?' but rather, 'Of all the players that are available to us, which do we think will be the better in 2, 3 or 5 years time?'. 

Sometimes a player can be a revelation when they take the step up.

Any reservations I have regarding this signing are for the player not the club.

I would name Inglis as my favourite player of the last 15 years and one of the very best of his era. I hope he can come over and showcase this talent otherwise there will be some shine taken off his legacy (whether we like that or not).

Players in any sport who go out at the top of their game are generally revered while those who make ill fated comebacks are often remembered less positively.  I sincerely do not want this to happen to Inglis.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

The question shouldn't be 'Is this player the best available to us at the present time?' but rather, 'Of all the players that are available to us, which do we think will be the better in 2, 3 or 5 years time?'. 

Sometimes yes. But a big signing now is some good pr.

The Value of a modern player in any sport isn't just attributed by their activities on the pitch, though that is of course the root of any success. Cristiano Ronaldo was signed for €100 million Euros aged 34 (which is old for a striker). Shirt sales of his shirt alone made up for that and then some. 

Likewise SBW with Toronto or David Beckham with LA Galaxy. A big name signing is worth more than their ability on the pitch.

22 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

It really shouldn't. This is a 1 year signing. You get somebody else for 2, 3 or 5 years. 

On 19/05/2020 at 13:54, Dave T said:

This is most unusual, an NRL signing that hasn't been written off as a waste of money! 

Oh, I thought that went without saying.

In my opinion it is a waste of money - there!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

This is sports entertainment. Toby King may be a good player, but he won't sell thousands of shirts, tickets, sponsorship, shift hospitality etc. 

I don’t think it’s King that has to worry about his position TBH. 

Rumour is that Gelling won’t be back, and we know that Brand isn’t ready yet (if he even makes it) and Burrell seems better suited to second row. Any club would take a retired Inglis over those three.

I’m not sure what the big fuss is over this displacing talent thing. If Warrington had some super young international class British centre in that position already he’d likely be off to the NRL anyway! 

3 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I don’t think it’s King that has to worry about his position TBH. 

Rumour is that Gelling won’t be back, and we know that Brand isn’t ready yet (if he even makes it) and Burrell seems better suited to second row. Any club would take a retired Inglis over those three.

I’m not sure what the big fuss is over this displacing talent thing. If Warrington had some super young international class British centre in that position already he’d likely be off to the NRL anyway! 

No, I was making a point about the young British centre that we have developed. 

But I should have used Brand, that Championship centre we also signed. 

8 hours ago, gavin7094 said:

A good club does both?

I understand your point, and if you look back, i'm often not a fan of these type of signings; but saying that who would be better?

As i said, why can't Warrington be doing both here? Have an experienced bloke mentoring younger players with someone who will be the next Greg Inglis in, to quote, "2, 3 or 5 years time'.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

7 hours ago, MattSantos said:

A good club does both?

I understand your point, and if you look back, i'm often not a fan of these type of signings; but saying that who would be better?

As i said, why can't Warrington be doing both here? Have an experienced bloke mentoring younger players with someone who will be the next Greg Inglis in, to quote, "2, 3 or 5 years time'.

indeed, you don't think toby king, who's a fairly big centre isn't salivating at the possibility of getting mentored by GI.

Likewise, matty ashton, who we picked up from the championship this year, again seems pretty big, and awkward looking for his position, i reckon he'll be banging the door down asking how to use his size and acceleration to the fullest from FB

If he had signed for an NRL team then I'm almost certain their fans wouild be excited and happy, though as with the wire fans we see here there will be some hesitancy due to his injuries and time away. One thing it has done is put RL back in the conversations, brought the game back into propels thinking which is a good thing. Im excited to see him in the English game. 

1 hour ago, dkw said:

If he had signed for an NRL team then I'm almost certain their fans wouild be excited and happy, though as with the wire fans we see here there will be some hesitancy due to his injuries and time away. One thing it has done is put RL back in the conversations, brought the game back into propels thinking which is a good thing. Im excited to see him in the English game. 

Yup.

I also don't think we should be too frightened of making bold signings in case of failure. I'd rather we saw failures (I expect Burrell will be released for example) on the back of bold moves, providing the club can afford it, and there is no reason to believe they can't.

The belief that every signing has to be a 5 year project is quite simply bizarre. 

A good squad will be made up of local lads, squad players, world stars, journeymen etc. Those that get the balance right do well. 

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Not been mentioned but he didn’t retire for medical conditions or injuries - although he’s had a couple.

Seems he’s got his head and his life together and has an old friend already playing at Wire.  I’ll bet, for him, the world is all good.

Archived