Aussie Insularity Strikes Again

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Wirral Warrior said:

I would agree that there is a fair degree of insularity in the UK...the M62 brigade etc. However the point I am really trying to make is that the leading commentators on the game should have a broader perspective to keep people informed.

If that same debate was happening on the excellent 5 Live Podcast and a change /extention to the Super League season meant we were to delay the Challenge Cup Final and/or Magic to post season, do we think Dave Woods would have referenced the slight issue of a planned 3 Test Ashes Series. Of course he would , as would Phil Caplan, Bill Arthur , Brian Carney , Chris Irvine etc .

Non-one is saying that moving SOO to post season is not the most financially logistical move to make, but at least cancelling an International Series should have been referenced as a consequential issue. Thats my point - the insularity and narrow perspective.

The only enightened Aussie commentators I hear on the sport appear to be Andrew Voss and Steve Mascord.   

Will International travel be happening this year?

The decision is based on the current Covid 19 situation.

Do we know better than they do?

Once you mentioned Mr Mascord you lost me.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

It’s probably far too late now, but I wonder what would have happened if the RFL had started a Lancashire v Yorkshire State (County) of Origin series when the Aussies set up SOO. It if had been taken seriously, put on TV and played in quality stadiums it could have been great.  

Can anyone tell me how big the attendances for the last 10 non WC fixtures in England between Aus and Eng/GB were and how much Australian RL profited for these fixtures?

I’ll give you a clue, it was darn all on both fronts compared to the last 10 SOO fixtures. 

Once you overcome that conundrum, start talking about how much more Australia should be prioritising international fixtures over anything else non NRL and SOO.

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s probably far too late now, but I wonder what would have happened if the RFL had started a Lancashire v Yorkshire State (County) of Origin series when the Aussies set up SOO. It if had been taken seriously, put on TV and played in quality stadiums it could have been great.  

Like most things in Rugby League (and much like the early noughties competition), it would last a couple of years before people got bored of it and then it would have been cancelled. 

10 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Can anyone tell me how big the attendances for the last 10 non WC fixtures in England between Aus and Eng/GB were and how much Australian RL profited for these fixtures?

I’ll give you a clue, it was darn all on both fronts compared to the last 10 SOO fixtures. 

Once you overcome that conundrum, start talking about how much more Australia should be prioritising international fixtures over anything else non NRL and SOO.

Even in a WC game matches against England (or any nation really) don't set the world on fire commercially in Australia.

The funny thing is that all the arguments that the NRL/Australian fans use for why they aren't really interested in going out of their way for internationals are the same ones that the RFL/English fans use for not wanting to play games against the Home Nations or European nations regularly;   they don't sell many tickets, they don't rate very well, there're rarely competitive, aside from the ones that are already playing in the SL none of their players are big draws in England, and most importantly they aren't very profitable.

It just is what it is.

23 hours ago, Allora said:

Will International travel be happening this year?

The decision is based on the current Covid 19 situation.

Do we know better than they do?

Once you mentioned Mr Mascord you lost me.

I mention Mascord as he has an Aussie accent and knows that the Bulldogs come from both Cantebury, Sydney as well as Batley , West Yorkshire.

Whether you are lost or not , at least the guy has some international perspective to draw on.....more so than the great Gus and his sychophantic presenter.

Still dont think you are getting the basic point.

Its a no brainer they, as we, have to make the most financially lucrative decisions to suit the sport their respective hemisphere's.

No issue with that.

These self-styled rugby experts should at least recognise, point out , reference all implications of the decision....which in this case happens to be the cancellation of the first Ashes Test Series in 17 years involving the national team.

From my experience of watching RL in Australia it may not just be the experts who do not have any recognition of the international game.

Maybe thats for another topic...

9 hours ago, Wirral Warrior said:

I mention Mascord as he has an Aussie accent and knows that the Bulldogs come from both Cantebury, Sydney as well as Batley , West Yorkshire.

Whether you are lost or not , at least the guy has some international perspective to draw on.....more so than the great Gus and his sychophantic presenter.

Still dont think you are getting the basic point.

Its a no brainer they, as we, have to make the most financially lucrative decisions to suit the sport their respective hemisphere's.

No issue with that.

These self-styled rugby experts should at least recognise, point out , reference all implications of the decision....which in this case happens to be the cancellation of the first Ashes Test Series in 17 years involving the national team.

From my experience of watching RL in Australia it may not just be the experts who do not have any recognition of the international game.

Maybe thats for another topic...

With the travel situation and the current global pandemic not likely to go away any time soon why would you want them to bang on and lament a lost cause?

It is what it is, the game is in survival mode, many sports are.

I wanted to see the Ashes series, plenty of Aussies did but moping over what’s happened is not going to make you feel any better about it.

Maybe England can play Wales as a better option than nothing at all.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

I see no value in England playing playing Plastic Scots and Plastic Irishman outside of a tournament.

Many may not be able to get to the UK anyway.

They need to be arranging to play someone even if its behind closed doors.

Use it as a money raiser for Rugby League Cares or  whatever. Its about getting a squad playing together  imo.  Would not surprise me if Wane is not arranging these as we write.'

16 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I bet Australia feel the same about Tonga. 

A lot of people feel that way about a lot of nations, but particularly Tonga and Samoa.

They're basically just Aussies and Kiwis in red and blue shirts instead of green and black ones at this point.

But when an Australian says that it's "insular" and "disrespectful"...

10 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

A lot of people feel that way about a lot of nations, but particularly Tonga and Samoa.

They're basically just Aussies and Kiwis in red and blue shirts instead of green and black ones at this point.

But when an Australian says that it's "insular" and "disrespectful"...

I’m glad that those people have chosen to wear red or blue instead of green and gold or black and white as we now have four Tier One nations and an ever improving Tier Two. If only we could get more players deciding to don the red of Wales, the green of Ireland and the navy of Scotland. 

14 hours ago, Allora said:

With the travel situation and the current global pandemic not likely to go away any time soon why would you want them to bang on and lament a lost cause?

It is what it is, the game is in survival mode, many sports are.

I wanted to see the Ashes series, plenty of Aussies did but moping over what’s happened is not going to make you feel any better about it.

Maybe England can play Wales as a better option than nothing at all.

You are still not getting the basic point....

I am not complaining or banging on about no International Football this year whether it be Australia or even Wales. Not bothered. Does not make sense this year. Understood?

I just found it interesting and annoying that a leading ' expert' on the game could provide such a narrowly focussed argument on the impacts of Covid ,without providing the listeners without a fully rounded argument on all the impacts.

Gould is either inept as a pundit, or patronising to the extent that his argument of end of season Origin only impacting on his desire to watch Origin in mid winter in front of a warm fire and that players would be tired.

Inept or patronising.......probably both.

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m glad that those people have chosen to wear red or blue instead of green and gold or black and white as we now have four Tier One nations and an ever improving Tier Two. If only we could get more players deciding to don the red of Wales, the green of Ireland and the navy of Scotland. 

Except that it's totally unsustainable, it's getting way out of hand to the point that in a lot of ways it's negatively effecting the sport back home in the actual countries of Tonga and Samoa, and it's a massive double standard that requires cognitive dissidence to accept.

I mean if we are holding to everybody to the same standard then Blake Austin and James Tamou have just as much right to play for Great Britain/England and Australia as Andrew Fafita and Jason Taumalolo do to play for Tonga...

10 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Except that it's totally unsustainable, it's getting way out of hand to the point that in a lot of ways it's negatively effecting the sport back home in the actual countries of Tonga and Samoa, and it's a massive double standard that requires cognitive dissidence to accept.

I mean if we are holding to everybody to the same standard then Blake Austin and James Tamou have just as much right to play for Great Britain/England and Australia as Andrew Fafita and Jason Taumalolo do to play for Tonga...

How is it a negative?

On 21/05/2020 at 15:08, Eddie said:

Just watching the Salford vs Hudds Magic game from 2012. They are pushing the exiles game during game... Wish we still had that 

Roses origin would be great but don't like the way southern players have to play for Lancs.... For sone reason I would steer towards Yorkshire if I had to support one

39 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Agreed, but nobody would have guessed so many quality plastic Tongon's would have switched countries.

Exactly and nobody knows if we’d see something similar should a load of players out their hands up for Scotland, Ireland or Wales but it’s worth a try, isn’t it?

Archived