Jamie Shaul to Huddersfield...

5 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Unless Hull want him to go. 

Unless he's requested ridiculous contract demands, that doesn't make sense either.

As my mate has pointed out, he's a couple of years away from 10 at the club and, if I'm correct, doesn't that mean only half his salary counts on the cap after that time?

As usual, I might be a bit wide of the mark there but I have a feeling that used to be the case.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

10 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

i like mcintosh, no doubt goulding is a fair player, but i've never watched and game and been that worried about him, him being  a leeds junior he obviously got the sky propaganda machine behind him for 10 minutes till jack walker came along.

Though the possibility of shaul seems a weird one, if mcintosh can play across the backline, shaul is pretty much a fb, can goulding slot in anywhere else perhaps?

I think he's played a bit at 9, but he was signed as first choice full back, can't see why we'd want to replace him to be honest, unless he's got a career threatening injury

On 21/05/2020 at 21:37, arcticchris said:

Are Hull really a club anywhere near to realistically trying to win the SL??

How close we are is up for debate. But that's certainly the ambition, and we wont realise it with Shaul at full back imo. Not that we dont have other areas to improve too of course.

21 hours ago, MZH said:

How close we are is up for debate. But that's certainly the ambition, and we wont realise it with Shaul at full back imo. Not that we dont have other areas to improve too of course.

Not a Hull fan so don’t see them play very often but looking from the outside I would consider him to be one of your top half dozen players so he must either be wanting ridiculous money or you have a major signing lined up and need to clear cap space.

On 24/05/2020 at 12:22, arcticchris said:

Not a Hull fan so don’t see them play very often but looking from the outside I would consider him to be one of your top half dozen players so he must either be wanting ridiculous money or you have a major signing lined up and need to clear cap space.

He's very good at what he does. He is quick, he supports pretty well, he is dangerous in broken field and he defends ok.

His link up play is terrible. He cant play the 3rd pivot at all. And with Sneyd being more of a controller we need a full back that can create. Shaul would go well in the right environment, but not ours. Maybe the new coach will change things up a bit and Shaul will thrive in a new system. But the way we play currently is much better suited to Jake Connor at 1.

19 minutes ago, MZH said:

He's very good at what he does. He is quick, he supports pretty well, he is dangerous in broken field and he defends ok.

His link up play is terrible. He cant play the 3rd pivot at all. And with Sneyd being more of a controller we need a full back that can create. Shaul would go well in the right environment, but not ours. Maybe the new coach will change things up a bit and Shaul will thrive in a new system. But the way we play currently is much better suited to Jake Connor at 1.

A very good summary of Shaul, pretty much the shortcomings that o have stopped him breaking into the England squad.

6 hours ago, MZH said:

this being the downside to playing with a 13 thats an auxilliary prop, which 99% of teams do, and possibly not the most attacking oriented hooker in the league.

if i was hull, i'd just have him following for line breaks and offloads, if the  opposition know he can't get the pass to a centre or winger away, its a waste of time having him make that run.

Play to your strengths.

58 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

this being the downside to playing with a 13 thats an auxilliary prop, which 99% of teams do, and possibly not the most attacking oriented hooker in the league.

if i was hull, i'd just have him following for line breaks and offloads, if the  opposition know he can't get the pass to a centre or winger away, its a waste of time having him make that run.

Play to your strengths.

I always think it's a long time since anyone did anything revolutionary with tactics in the game. I'd love to see a coach try out 2 full backs or something like that (in attack obviously, it would be stupid in defence). Have someone like Shaul drifting about supporting the play. Name Connor at centre but let him play the full back 3rd pivot role. In defence Connor would just drop back into centre. 

Might be a stupid idea but I'd like to see how it would work. There are plenty of athletic second rows who can play a bit wider to compensate.

10 hours ago, MZH said:

That makes a bit of sense and it is certainly easier to find a creative full back than it would be find and attract a top class creative half back and also replace Sneyds great goal kicking.

• 2 weeks later...
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• 2 months later...

Tbf to Shaul he is good at what he does. Which is backing up and running in broken field. He is a good defender when he wants to be aswell. In the right system he might do ok, but he's a terrible fit for this Hull FC side. I'd say he's also one of the worst culprits for dropping his head when things are going wrong. He is one of the first to give up. A problem that has been rife at Hull for the past few years.

Shaul gives the impression that he just hasn’t developed or progressed since his debut. Yes he is a decent broken field runner but his defence isn’t the best and under a high ball, based on what I have seen, he is dodgy. He also isn’t a creative player
So is the lack of development down to him or the (ex) coach or the club?

On 24/05/2020 at 12:22, arcticchris said:

Hull seem to have at Least 4 major signings every season who will lead them to glory.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hull seem to have at Least 4 major signings every season who will lead them to glory.

In my opinion their 7 and 9 are both useful players individually but as a spine collectively they leave far too big a creative deficit to expect the 1 and 6 to make up for in order to make the Grand Final and consistently challenge for the top of the league.

16 hours ago, arcticchris said:

In my opinion their 7 and 9 are both useful players individually but as a spine collectively they leave far too big a creative deficit to expect the 1 and 6 to make up for in order to make the Grand Final and consistently challenge for the top of the league.

very true, houghton may be an excellent tackler but there's nowt going forward

likewise as i've mentioned on here before, sneyd's good when you're ahead and keeping a lead and kicking for territory but apart from that you dont get much else.

21 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

very true, houghton may be an excellent tackler but there's nowt going forward

likewise as i've mentioned on here before, sneyd's good when you're ahead and keeping a lead and kicking for territory but apart from that you dont get much else.

But you need a good pack to lay the platform for your halves to create and some weeks Hull’s pack is imperious and dangerous and other weeks they’re meek and pushovers. 

Archived