Super League ‘to restart in August’

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No internationals in any of the models? Ho hum.

The most sensible is the most modest - model 1. As that would also give some flexibility if there were any problems later in the year.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-to-return-on-opening-august-weekend/

Another article with specific dates for each round etc.

One odd thing that leapt out at me from the plans laid out in that article is how many of the midweek rounds are either before or after cup rounds. Model 3 has them before and after the cup final. I know teams are likely to put out second teams in any midweek games but there will be some easy points up for grabs in those midweek games against teams still in the cup.

I think the first model is the most sensible though clubs if they have been told of a likelihood of at least limited crowds returning may go for one that provides more home games. Surely if either model 2 or 3 are adopted we will see the 2021 season shortened as well to reduce burnout going into the World Cup.

Where does this bizarre idea come from that we're guaranteed huge crowds on Boxing Day and New Year's Day? They tried it in the "whatever the league below Super League was called at the time" and it was so successful they don't do it any more.

It's been nearly 30 years. Let's not extend the season into January because the Chairmen are all getting mixed up between "when things were better" and "we were younger and it was all more fun".

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

How do non SL clubs fit in to the CC round on 23rd August.

The participation of the 5 non SL clubs still in the cup probably depends on whether or not their own league seasons resume. If they aren't playing league games already then they may not want to bring players off furlough just to play (probably) only one cup game. Maybe the clubs below SL are working on a similar plan to restart their leagues?

18 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

One odd thing that leapt out at me from the plans laid out in that article is how many of the midweek rounds are either before or after cup rounds. Model 3 has them before and after the cup final. I know teams are likely to put out second teams in any midweek games but there will be some easy points up for grabs in those midweek games against teams still in the cup.

I think the first model is the most sensible though clubs if they have been told of a likelihood of at least limited crowds returning may go for one that provides more home games. Surely if either model 2 or 3 are adopted we will see the 2021 season shortened as well to reduce burnout going into the World Cup.

You'd hope so but I have my doubts

2 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

It seems a bit light on information around testing,stadium protocol,and training sessions before the ghost games.

Tbf by August the premier League may have already been back for 2 months (looking at a June restart). You'd imagine that would give a clearer picture as to what protocols would need to be in place.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf by August the premier League may have already been back for 2 months (looking at a June restart). You'd imagine that would give a clearer picture as to what protocols would need to be in place.

The protocols and the cost in soccer is already documented - and everything that requires disinfecting.

It would also seem that pre-season training is longer and more intensive than this restart is going to be.

More haste less everything...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Shorter term, the option to finish in January isn’t the worst idea. Given the game will have been away for the best part of five months by the time August rolls around, a shorter season that ends in November or December is probably not that preferential. After being away for five months, the last thing the game needs is to be away again a few months later.

That said, how it effects next year’s season and the subsequent World Cup needs answering and weather in November to January isn’t the best, so postponements could cause problems. 

I see a lot of criticism here, but not many alternatives. 

We’re in extraordinary times. Playing a few games in the winter months as a one off exercise to complete a disrupted season seems like the least of our troubles. 

What the hell else could they do in the circumstances?

5 minutes ago, John Drake said:

We’re in extraordinary times. Playing a few games in the winter months as a one off exercise to complete a disrupted season seems like the least of our troubles. 

Should see some meaningful games on Boxing Day.

4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I come at it from the perspective that the 2021 season should be impacted as little as possible on the basis that England winning the 2021 world cup will do more for the game than basically any English club achievement could. 

The first option is my preference. November Grand Final with a shorter off/pre season. 

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Quite, the sport can't afford to just take a season off, so we have to come up with realistic scenarios to get going again.

And those realistic scenarios don't include using this situation for various people to declare now is the ideal time to bring in their predictable hobby-horses, licensing and abolishing or materially changing the salary cap being prime amongst them.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

I come at it from the perspective that the 2021 season should be impacted as little as possible on the basis that England winning the 2021 world cup will do more for the game than basically any English club achievement could. 

The first option is my preference. November Grand Final with a shorter off/pre season. 

Exactly this. The World Cup and the impact of one (and a RLWC win) is far greater reaching than a normal Rugby League season. As little interruption on next year should be the aim (though I’d happily see a 23 game season next year). 

There’s actually very little criticism here. It’s a bizarre remark, if I’m honest. Most posts on this thread have asked questions and sought more information, of which this is understandably lacking of given the circumstances, rather than criticised. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Exactly this. The World Cup and the impact of one (and a RLWC win) is far greater reaching than a normal Rugby League season. As little interruption on next year should be the aim (though I’d happily see a 23 game season next year). 

Agreed. Next year should be shortened to help our chances at the world cup, not to give this season longer to finish.

A November finish seems the most sensible, only concern would be the number of midweek games. Finishing in January would be absurd anyway but even more so seeing as it’s a World Cup year.

There are a number of part time clubs still in the cup. What happens to them if Champ and L1 are cancelled? And would part time players want to play?

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Agreed. Next year should be shortened to help our chances at the world cup, not to give this season longer to finish.

Everything we do as a sport in this country should be highly geared towards England working towards, becoming and retaining number one status on the planet. 

28 minutes ago, John Drake said:

We just got a £16m loan because the government made a manifesto pledge to deliver the Rugby League World Cup. Some recognition of the importance of that competition should feature.

But I don’t see much criticism. The first option makes the most sense to me. The others I think are based more on fantasy than reality and could do real damage to the RLWC.

Archived