Featherstone Rovers v St Helens 1959

jamescolin

13 hours ago, Squidward said:

Any idea if the recording of that match is in the public domain or is accessible?

Good question mate, wouldn't that be fascinating to watch?

Given that I only found out from gingdong yesterday that Grandstand had been, I wouldn't have a clue about this.

It's the BBC which is funded by the UK people so it's probably been thrown in the bin to save money and pay for management salaries or it's there but less accessible than KGB files in the Kremlin. Now pay your license fees.

18 hours ago, Squidward said:

Any idea if the recording of that match is in the public domain or is accessible?

I would have said almost certainly not, but the RugbyLeagueCares Facebook page (which is well worth a look if you are prepared to countenance FB) recently published footage of about 40 minutes from Grandstand's coverage of a Leeds v Fev game from 1969, which was an astonishing discovery. 

On 31/05/2020 at 20:31, J M Thornton said:

The game played when the record crowd was registered was in 1958 and played out in a snow storm. The Rovers won 5-0 and Cliff Lambert scored the try from an harry Street reverse pass close  to the Saints line. Jack Fennel kicked the goal.

The following year and once again Rovers were drawn against St.Helens in the third round who were making predictions that  on a dry day they would run up a big score. Well this was Joe Mullany's finest game for the Rovers and he scored two tries and dropped a goal. Alex Murphy left the field in tears. The Rovers went on to the semi- final for a second year at Odsal and unfortunately lost them both.

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

i'm sure i remember Joe Mullaney kicking a drop goal from about 20 metres out. worth 2 points in those days in the 59 game that is

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

Archived