Featherstone Rovers v St Helens 1959

jamescolin

Thinking of the past I suddenly remembered going to see us v St Helens in 1959. There were over 17,000 there that day and I has trouble seeing the match from the railway end terraces. I struggled through and found two bricks which I stood on and enjoyed the rest of the game. A long time ago but I remember Woolford, Mullaney and Clamp and I think Clawson and Greatorex were also playing.  Wonderful day with great memories of our win.  Incidentally didn't we beat Australia as well around that time? Can't believe I was only 24 at that time. Refresh my memory was it snowing? 

1 hour ago, jamescolin said:

Thinking of the past I suddenly remembered going to see us v St Helens in 1959. There were over 17,000 there that day and I has trouble seeing the match from the railway end terraces. I struggled through and found two bricks which I stood on and enjoyed the rest of the game. A long time ago but I remember Woolford, Mullaney and Clamp and I think Clawson and Greatorex were also playing.  Wonderful day with great memories of our win.  Incidentally didn't we beat Australia as well around that time? Can't believe I was only 24 at that time. Refresh my memory was it snowing? 

Not far out with the attendance 17,531 third round Cup Rovers won 20-6 but not snowing that day.It was snowing in the League Match inApril 1961 when Rovers won 28-11 in front of 7400.Terry Clawson didn't play in the 59 game but did in the 1961 match.We did beat Australia in November 1959 23-15 in front of 7600 in which Terry kicked 5 goals and scored a try.How good would T.C. have been if he had not caught T.B?. and played all his career with damaged lungs.Happy birthday for the 31st it being Sunday the Vicar may give you a present in church.

Thanks for that  Sentofagain, not a church goer so no present in that quarter. Terry Clawson was a great player. Memory didn't quite serve me right about his appearances. 

On 21/05/2020 at 13:07, sentoffagain2 said:

Not far out with the attendance 17,531 third round Cup Rovers won 20-6 but not snowing that day.It was snowing in the League Match inApril 1961 when Rovers won 28-11 in front of 7400.Terry Clawson didn't play in the 59 game but did in the 1961 match.We did beat Australia in November 1959 23-15 in front of 7600 in which Terry kicked 5 goals and scored a try.How good would T.C. have been if he had not caught T.B?. and played all his career with damaged lungs.Happy birthday for the 31st it being Sunday the Vicar may give you a present in church.

the game where it snowed with over 15k there was im sure the cup 1/4 final the year before the record crowd game im also sure Terry Clawson played in the record crowd game

4 minutes ago, gingdong said:

the game where it snowed with over 15k there was im sure the cup 1/4 final the year before the record crowd game im also sure Terry Clawson played in the record crowd game

Thanks for that Terry, did play at loose forward in the record crowd game.Didn't he collect a kick through and pass to Cyril Woolford who scored the first try.Put it down to old age my memory must be slipping,surprised no one pulled me up on it before your post.Joe Mullaney at stand off pulled the strings for us scoring two tries and kicking a goal.Terry kicked three goals.When you look at our pack in that game it does not appear to be a patch on our Championship winning six.However they certainly did the business.

On 21/05/2020 at 19:34, jamescolin said:

This is the Fev teamsheet and scorers from that match.

32.gif

The game played when the record crowd was registered was in 1958 and played out in a snow storm. The Rovers won 5-0 and Cliff Lambert scored the try from an harry Street reverse pass close  to the Saints line. Jack Fennel kicked the goal.

The following year and once again Rovers were drawn against St.Helens in the third round who were making predictions that  on a dry day they would run up a big score. Well this was Joe Mullany's finest game for the Rovers and he scored two tries and dropped a goal. Alex Murphy left the field in tears. The Rovers went on to the semi- final for a second year at Odsal and unfortunately lost them both.

11 hours ago, J M Thornton said:

The game played when the record crowd was registered was in 1958 and played out in a snow storm. The Rovers won 5-0 and Cliff Lambert scored the try from an harry Street reverse pass close  to the Saints line. Jack Fennel kicked the goal.

The following year and once again Rovers were drawn against St.Helens in the third round who were making predictions that  on a dry day they would run up a big score. Well this was Joe Mullany's finest game for the Rovers and he scored two tries and dropped a goal. Alex Murphy left the field in tears. The Rovers went on to the semi- final for a second year at Odsal and unfortunately lost them both.

Sorry you're wrong. The record crowd was the 1959 game. The 1958 game had an estimated crowd of 15,700.

At the end of the spectrum was the match against Doncaster at Post Office Road in the 60's.Snow,hail a freeing wind.

A crowd of around 400 turned up.

Is that the lowest gate at POR?

5 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Sorry you're wrong. The record crowd was the 1959 game. The 1958 game had an estimated crowd of 15,700.

can you confirm for me what day we got presented with the championship trophy, am i right in thinking it was against Workington on a Saturday and was on Grandstand

1 hour ago, gingdong said:

can you confirm for me what day we got presented with the championship trophy, am i right in thinking it was against Workington on a Saturday and was on Grandstand

We clinched the title mathmatically by beating Barrow 7-5 at their place on Wednesday 20th April 1997. We were presented with the trophy on Sunday 24th April 1977 when we beat Workington at home 32-13. 

I wasn't there, but as far as I know there were no TV cameras there.

2 hours ago, Bryan S Taylor said:

At the end of the spectrum was the match against Doncaster at Post Office Road in the 60's.Snow,hail a freeing wind.

A crowd of around 400 turned up.

Is that the lowest gate at POR

No, I doubt it. Crowd figures are hard to compare for league games, as members (season ticket holders) were for many years at many clubs not counted in the attendance figure which was based on gate money. The Donacster match to which you refer doesn't necessarily mean there were only 400 people there at all.

However, generally accepted as our lowest ever crowd was v Bradford in 1929/30 which had just 200 paying fans. In the 1930s the average crowd over a season was often under 1,000.

29 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

We clinched the title mathmatically by beating Barrow 7-5 at their place on Wednesday 20th April 1997. We were presented with the trophy on Sunday 24th April 1977 when we beat Workington at home 32-13. 

I wasn't there, but as far as I know there were no TV cameras there.

The game im getting mixed up with is the home game before that 1 played on Sat 10th April at home to Wigan it was televised on Grandsatnd

25 minutes ago, gingdong said:

The game im getting mixed up with is the home game before that 1 played on Sat 10th April at home to Wigan it was televised on Grandsatnd

Saturday the 16th. That was certainly a vital win. I didn't know it was televised, but you are spot on. Ta. Good info. ?

0.28681200 1582307850-IMG_20190617_0002.jpg

39 minutes ago, Bryan S Taylor said:

Thanks for your comments.

I presume that current gates now includes season ticket holders.

Yes.

Up to the 1960s attendance figures reflected 'gate money' largely for tax reasons (therefore unreliable) but a decent guide to the crowd size nonetheless.

FRom the 1970s or so most clubs had adopted the "attendance" figure of how many people watched the game and started to include STH in that figure.

Featherstone, as a members' club right up until 1995, also had a strong band of season ticket holders.

1 hour ago, Bryan S Taylor said:

Thanks for your comments.

I presume that current gates now includes season ticket holders.

I was at that Doncaster game. If my memory serves me right it was 1967 during our cup run and remember we were languishing in 20th or lower in a league of 30. The attendance was in the 600 plus category and I think Donny won 16-10 probably their first ever win at Post Office Road.

Thanks for this. I couldn't remember the score.

I think they opened up the main stand for free, it was that cold 

The species were stamping their feet and singing an advert for baked beans just to keep warm.

Happy days.

3 minutes ago, Bryan S Taylor said:

Thanks for this. I couldn't remember the score.

I think they opened up the main stand for free, it was that cold 

The species were stamping their feet and singing an advert for baked beans just to keep warm.

Happy days.

Round about that time Bramley came and beat us at home too. The Challenge cup had more significance over league games in those days.

5 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Saturday the 16th. That was certainly a vital win. I didn't know it was televised, but you are spot on. Ta. Good info. ?

0.28681200 1582307850-IMG_20190617_0002.jpg

Any idea if the recording of that match is in the public domain or is accessible?

16 hours ago, J Phil Loxton said:

I was at that Doncaster game. If my memory serves me right it was 1967 during our cup run and remember we were languishing in 20th or lower in a league of 30. The attendance was in the 600 plus category and I think Donny won 16-10 probably their first ever win at Post Office Road.

Before the Cup started, but damn good memory of yours nonetheless!

Archived