Sign in to follow this  
jamescolin

Featherstone Rovers v St Helens 1959

Thinking of the past I suddenly remembered going to see us v St Helens in 1959. There were over 17,000 there that day and I has trouble seeing the match from the railway end terraces. I struggled through and found two bricks which I stood on and enjoyed the rest of the game. A long time ago but I remember Woolford, Mullaney and Clamp and I think Clawson and Greatorex were also playing.  Wonderful day with great memories of our win.  Incidentally didn't we beat Australia as well around that time? Can't believe I was only 24 at that time. Refresh my memory was it snowing? 

1 hour ago, jamescolin said:

Thinking of the past I suddenly remembered going to see us v St Helens in 1959. There were over 17,000 there that day and I has trouble seeing the match from the railway end terraces. I struggled through and found two bricks which I stood on and enjoyed the rest of the game. A long time ago but I remember Woolford, Mullaney and Clamp and I think Clawson and Greatorex were also playing.  Wonderful day with great memories of our win.  Incidentally didn't we beat Australia as well around that time? Can't believe I was only 24 at that time. Refresh my memory was it snowing? 

Not far out with the attendance 17,531 third round Cup Rovers won 20-6 but not snowing that day.It was snowing in the League Match inApril 1961 when Rovers won 28-11 in front of 7400.Terry Clawson didn't play in the 59 game but did in the 1961 match.We did beat Australia in November 1959 23-15 in front of 7600 in which Terry kicked 5 goals and scored a try.How good would T.C. have been if he had not caught T.B?. and played all his career with damaged lungs.Happy birthday for the 31st it being Sunday the Vicar may give you a present in church.

Thanks for that  Sentofagain, not a church goer so no present in that quarter. Terry Clawson was a great player. Memory didn't quite serve me right about his appearances.