Should Huddersfield's academy get more praise?

On 24/05/2020 at 18:12, The Blues Ox said:

On one hand its a real shame for Halifax that so many players from the area go to Huddersfield and other teams but they really stand no chance of competing with the SL clubs. On the other hand its great to see so many players from the area having a chance in SL as it just shows the talent that the area still produces. At Siddal at the moment it almost feels like Wigan and Leeds get first choice and then Huddersfield take the rest.

It goes in circles i suppose?

30+ years ago, lads from the Huddersfield area would sign for Leeds, Bradford and Halifax, then Sheffield

I'd rather these lads were kept in the British game at the expense of over the hill crocked Aussies!

On 25/05/2020 at 00:10, johnmatrix said:

How many from batley and dewsbury? 

Huddersfield is not a strong rugby league area certainly in jnr rugby 

I'm not totally sure where the lads come from, some come from the Heavy Woollen district, some from Cas/Pontefract areas, other from Oldham area.

What do you define as strong?

On 25/05/2020 at 11:04, OMEGA said:

Not quite so straightforward as that is it!

Leeds, because they’re a bigger club in terms of profile & are seen as a glamour club, attract players from other areas. Leeds often get the first pick of the best talent from Wakefield, Cas, Featherstone, Oldham, Halifax & indeed Huddersfield. Those players are the ones identified as having the best chance of making it all the way through to the pinnacle of the game. It could be argued that Leeds should do better at producing players than they do.

Huddersfield Giants Academy under Andy Kelly has been hugely improved over the last 5 or 6 years and is now rated as ‘Outstanding’ alongside Leeds, Wigan, St Helens & Hull JA.

Spot on, an academy isn't or shouldn't be judged on how many players are members of the England squad, especially when that academy  set up is competing with others with less than half their budget or pulling power.

50 minutes ago, meast said:

It goes in circles i suppose?

30+ years ago, lads from the Huddersfield area would sign for Leeds, Bradford and Halifax, then Sheffield

I'd rather these lads were kept in the British game at the expense of over the hill crocked Aussies!

In my opinion there should maybe another system in place. Apart from a small few that have obvious ability and will go on to SL a lot of the rest are taken by SL clubs on the chance that they further develop. I think there could be a case for partnerships with the players, say Huddersfield sign a Fax lad it would make sense for that lad to have the full time training at Huddersfield but maybe have playing time at Halifax. I know theres a case that dual reg provides that but it doesn't really work like that. Id be interested to find the drop out rates from yound players that are signed between the ages of 12-16. In theory something like the above less players would be lost to the game because of dissalusioment and could possibly aid development of young players while also aiding some clubs that are struggling to have a chance of signing these players.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

In my opinion there should maybe another system in place. Apart from a small few that have obvious ability and will go on to SL a lot of the rest are taken by SL clubs on the chance that they further develop. I think there could be a case for partnerships with the players, say Huddersfield sign a Fax lad it would make sense for that lad to have the full time training at Huddersfield but maybe have playing time at Halifax. I know theres a case that dual reg provides that but it doesn't really work like that. Id be interested to find the drop out rates from yound players that are signed between the ages of 12-16. In theory something like the above less players would be lost to the game because of dissalusioment and could possibly aid development of young players while also aiding some clubs that are struggling to have a chance of signing these players.

That's exactly how the Huddersfield/Halifax/Hunslet reserve side was supposed to work this season!

4 hours ago, meast said:

I'm not totally sure where the lads come from, some come from the Heavy Woollen district, some from Cas/Pontefract areas, other from Oldham area.

What do you define as strong?

Its amazing to me how close some of these areas are.... people talk like Dewsbury and Huddy are completely different areas and they are about 20 mins away

When I say people I do of course mean northerners 

38 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Its amazing to me how close some of these areas are.... people talk like Dewsbury and Huddy are completely different areas and they are about 20 mins away

20 minutes? Not during a normal day due to traffic ?

They are both in the same council area - Kirklees

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

They are, they're both towns within the metropolitan borough of Kirklees, along with Batley, but have very different histories, especially in the textile industries etc, Halifax is only 4.5 miles from Huddersfield too and Bradford 7.

So you can see just how hard it is for so many clubs in such a small area to compete for the best local talent.

• 1 month later...
On 23/05/2020 at 22:30, Emosi Koloto said:

Dom Young was supposed to go to Melbourne Storm for a Summer training camp where they could have a close look at him unfortunately for Dom he broke his foot and had to miss the opportunity.

So unfortunate  Emosi. He loved the game. I love the game. Will he come back to the game. 07787111140

Dom’s already been back in full training and is ready to play games.

Simon Woodford was amazed to find out Dom was still only 17 when he arrived!

Dom’s a Centre/winger who stands around 6’6” & 115kg. He’s very much in the size, weight, speed, athleticism & skill category that the likes of Inglis, Mitchell etc were in at a similar age, whether he becomes half as good as them remains to be seen but he has that potential. 

Jake Wardles around 6’2” and the classiest spcentre I’ve seen come through the British system in years.

With Innes & Louis Senior Both at 6’5” there’s a potentially huge home grown future threequarter line brewing at Huddersfield.

Archived