• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Les “Bundy” Davidson

Peter Kelly

David “Cement” Gillespie

Trevor “The Axe” Gillmiester

Paul Gallen

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Interesting to see Des Drummond get a few mentions. I never saw any fights with him in, but he used to crash tackle forwards with gusto, was hilarious seeing the look on the forwards face when they managed to get up. But I realised how tough he was when he played for town in an away match at Huddersfield. There was an all in scrap, fights breaking out everywhere. An Huddersfield prop ran at dessie who took a martial arts fighting stance, the prop stopped, shook his head, turned round and went looking for less scary prey ?

13 hours ago, langpark said:

Good point, it's tough one, because not all of these players are 'all of the above'.  For example, Ryan Bailey, in my opinion, was a thug and a nutjob, but not a hardman.  While someone like, Shane Webcke was a hardman, but not a thug nutjob!

It was funny to see the way he backed down against Lee Radford.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Bailey's face was a picture. If ever a bloke realised he'd picked on the wrong man.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

then instances like Alan Prescott playing with a broken arm

Probably the bravest thing ever witnessed on a RL field, he played for 76 minutes with that arm broken laying limp by his side, being Captain he refused to leave the field after teammate's had to with their injuries.

That action is the epitome of being hard.

9 hours ago, bar red said:

Ian Bell, a centre for Barrow but was from the Hull clan. Was seen in a nightclub eating a pint glass. Great player on the pitch.

One of those "He could have been as good as he wants"  players. Only saw him play once for Hull's first team but he was fast and built like one of those proverbial sh*thouses.

Last I heard about him was only a few months ago...

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/police-hunt-wanted-hull-man-3174598

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

23 minutes ago, DavidM said:

If you’re talking about hard , then instances like Alan Prescott playing with a broken arm and Big Sam with a smashed face deserve a mention and big respect 

John Sattler & Paul “one ball”Wood fall into that esteemed category 

Another very hard man was the Leigh Fullback Mick Hogan not for punching anyone or getting into fights - but for his total disrespect for his own safety when defending, only being about 5'-10" and weighing never more than 11.5 stone he played for 12 years making 296 appearances, it didn't matter how big any attacker was he seldomly missed any one on one, such was his tackling technique he got concussed on quite a number of occasions and was stretchered from the field, later in life and he became quite ill for a number of years and sadly left us in his mid fifties, but for those who saw him, he leaves some wonderful memories.

2 hours ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Played 5 a side football against Paul and had the misfortune of colliding with him.

It was like hitting a wall.

I think that's what Phil Hogan felt like when he tried to stop Woodsy in full flight in the BBC2 Floodlit Final. Looked like he'd been hit by a bus when Rovers' physio Cliff Wallis eventually helped him off the field.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

One of those "He could have been as good as he wants"  players. Only saw him play once for Hull's first team but he was fast and built like one of those proverbial sh*thouses.

Last I heard about him was only a few months ago...

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/police-hunt-wanted-hull-man-3174598

Hardly think that's fair advertising the blokes business on a forum. 

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

4 hours ago, Ullman said:

Bailey's face was a picture. If ever a bloke realised he'd picked on the wrong man.

Is this the incident when Radford was sent off?  I have never really understood the perception of that incident from fans.

Yes, Bailey threw a few elbows in the tackle and caught Radford but then Radford swung three punches at Bailey while he was on all fours and didn't see them coming. 

Radford may be a tough guy but I don't think that incident proved it... if that incident were reversed and it was Bailey throwing punches at a blindsided player on the ground he would have been called all the names under the sun.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

18 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Is this the incident when Radford was sent off?  I have never really understood the perception of that incident from fans.

Yes, Bailey threw a few elbows in the tackle and caught Radford but then Radford swung three punches at Bailey while he was on all fours and didn't see them coming. 

Radford may be a tough guy but I don't think that incident proved it... if that incident were reversed and it was Bailey throwing punches at a blindsided player on the ground he would have been called all the names under the sun.

10000% agree with you here. Cowardly by radford. 

Archived