Thugs, Nutjobs and Hardmen XIII

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Kelvin Skerrett would be a shoe-in for any starting 13.

Even though I wouldn't call Martin Ketteridge a nutjob but he will need putting in then, he sorted Skerrett out a couple of times, 

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

2 hours ago, Hullfan said:

Hardly think that's fair advertising the blokes business on a forum. 

I was checking his name against his age and when he played for Hull FC to make sure it was the same bloke that played for Barrow.

A google search brought it up but then, I'd already read about it on the Hull Daily Mail website. 

It's readily available and publicised knowledge so if you're going to cast blame, I suggest you contact the paper for publishing it.

But then, it wouldn't have given you a chance to have a go at me would it?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

27 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

I was checking his name against his age and when he played for Hull FC to make sure it was the same bloke that played for Barrow.

A google search brought it up but then, I'd already read about it on the Hull Daily Mail website. 

It's readily available and publicised knowledge so if you're going to cast blame, I suggest you contact the paper for publishing it.

Obviously it's readily available for people, but the fact you've gone out your way to copy the link for the people on here to have a look is a bit out of order. 

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

I wouldn`t like to be the PC who apprehends him !!.  I think he was a mate of Martin Ostler who was already at Barrow, they were both brilliant players but Martin was a little bit more sensible.

6 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

One of those "He could have been as good as he wants"  players. Only saw him play once for Hull's first team but he was fast and built like one of those proverbial sh*thouses.

Last I heard about him was only a few months ago...

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/police-hunt-wanted-hull-man-3174598

I remember those enjoyable Wednesday nights watching the 'A' team games at The Boulevard just after the switch to summer rugby. Bell was usually the star of the show. What a player he could have been.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Is this the incident when Radford was sent off?  I have never really understood the perception of that incident from fans.

Yes, Bailey threw a few elbows in the tackle and caught Radford but then Radford swung three punches at Bailey while he was on all fours and didn't see them coming. 

Radford may be a tough guy but I don't think that incident proved it... if that incident were reversed and it was Bailey throwing punches at a blindsided player on the ground he would have been called all the names under the sun.

My perception of it was that Bailey stayed down because he was too scared to stand up and fight (knowing full well he would have got a pasting) but Radford wasn't going to let chivalry stand in the way of his exacting retribution. I think your last sentence hits the nail on the head. People enjoyed it precisely because it was Bailey receiving his comeuppance.

As it happened Bailey came out on top. It left Hull a man down and no way back into the game. Job done.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

46 minutes ago, Ullman said:

My perception of it was that Bailey stayed down because he was too scared to stand up and fight (knowing full well he would have got a pasting) but Radford wasn't going to let chivalry stand in the way of his exacting retribution. I think your last sentence hits the nail on the head. People enjoyed it precisely because it was Bailey receiving his comeuppance.

As it happened Bailey came out on top. It left Hull a man down and no way back into the game. Job done.

Bailey was swinging his elbow in the tackle and was the first offender in that incident.  It is not entirely clear if Bailey knew that Radford was the player he connected with as there were three in the tackle and Radford was the last Hull player to clear the ruck.

What is clear is that Radford started throwing punches at bailey's head when he was still on the ground on his hands and knees and his head was close to the floor.  I am no fan of Bailey but to suggest that Bailey stayed down there when he was being belted on the ground is a little harsh.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

29 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Bailey was swinging his elbow in the tackle and was the first offender in that incident.  It is not entirely clear if Bailey knew that Radford was the player he connected with as there were three in the tackle and Radford was the last Hull player to clear the ruck.

What is clear is that Radford started throwing punches at bailey's head when he was still on the ground on his hands and knees and his head was close to the floor.  I am no fan of Bailey but to suggest that Bailey stayed down there when he was being belted on the ground is a little harsh.

Harsh but fair ?

3 hours ago, Ullman said:

I remember those enjoyable Wednesday nights watching the 'A' team games at The Boulevard just after the switch to summer rugby. Bell was usually the star of the show. What a player he could have been.

Seen alot of them games myself. The hull academy had a good side them days. 

13 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Started plenty of fisticuffs which usually ended with him hiding behind Peacock.

He once started a fight with a prone Kevin Brown when Brown was at Huddersfield, he soon disappeared behind Peacock and the others when Brown himself having picked himself up, Keith Mason, Luke O'Donnell and David Fa'alogo went after him and gave him a beating ?

17 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Is this the incident when Radford was sent off?  I have never really understood the perception of that incident from fans.

Yes, Bailey threw a few elbows in the tackle and caught Radford but then Radford swung three punches at Bailey while he was on all fours and didn't see them coming. 

Radford may be a tough guy but I don't think that incident proved it... if that incident were reversed and it was Bailey throwing punches at a blindsided player on the ground he would have been called all the names under the sun.

Iirc, hardly a punch landed.

On Ryan Bailey.  In the Academy he came through with the reputation as a thug and it carried on through to 1st team.  I don’t think he ‘hard’ at all and really could have been an outstanding forward if he’d have wanted but he chose a different route for all but 1 or 2 seasons.

In an Academy game I vividly remember him deliberately kneeing Kirk Yeaman in the temple, midfield and blind side of the Ref.  It was a bad one.  He got a warning but later on tried the exact attack, but on our prop James Day, in the ribs while he was on the floor.  

Kirk had very bad recurring headaches for weeks afterwards and these days, with the new protocols, that could’ve meant a season out.  Ryan is probably down in another bracket other that the OP.

On 22/05/2020 at 17:01, fatboystu said:

I was going to say Les Boyd. The guy was an unhinged thug, no more no less.

Not true, well partially.

Yes Boyd was a thug, but to say that was all he had is as wrong as wrong can be. He was an excellent RL player, tough, quick for a prop with a great offload game. He was strong in defence as well.

I'm a Wigan fan, and nobody hated Boyd more than me in the 80's, but to say he couldn't play is way off the mark.

Archived