U/20's European Championship and RLWC in 2021... Chances of playing in both tournaments?

Just curious to know if there would be any up and coming players for France, Ireland, Scotland or Wales who could potentially play in both of these tournaments next year ? 

Sure a couple u/19's lads played in the Opens European Championship in 2018 after repping in the Belgrade based tournament earlier in the year.

Wonder if any Italian 20's could break through? 

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

Regarding your last question:  No chance.

Regarding your other question, it is also a NO.  Given that England and France are a massive class above the other competing sides, they do not play their pro players in the U19 and U20s matches. 

France to be fair, as it will be off-season, could have some playing.  Whether or not they will be in the open age side by the following year is another issue, but in theory could happen.

Not so sure about France. A number of their players in 2018 were in the Catalans set up and actually had to miss the final to provide back up to them. 

England i can understand but Wales, Ireland and Scotland could have somebody...most likely a heritage player...who could be a bolter for a World Cup squad. If the Euros are played this year and a few 19 year olds are getting a gig it could be a chance to happen. 

Ditto Italy.  Was a young fellow from England in their squad in 2018 who went ok. With the extra time and increase in age could be a few other heritage players from both hemispheres who might be a bolter.  A 20 yr old Anthony Minichello like player would be handy in either comp. 

As an aside be great if a curtain raiser to the RLWC final was an U20's Emerging Nations clash. 

Edited by The Partisan

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

Potential is there for any country I can remember back in the day Henry Paul was selected for the Kiwis after playing for the Jr Kiwis as both sides were on tours of England. Didnt Sam Burgess play for GB against Kiwis as an 18 year old and smash Fuifui Moimoi. European countries with small talent pools to select from like Scotland, Ireland, Italy or Greece would be mad not to include standout players from the Euro U20's in there World Cup squads. Even solid performers in Euro U20's could get a call up if there are injuries to senior players to add to squad depth and for future development.

Edited by kiwis 13 6
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Same question for 2022 now......

Has there been any discussion on an age - based European Championship being held next year  .. be it 19's, 20's or 21's ? 

Playing 21's and then Open age RLWC in same year certainly more achievable. 

Edited by The Partisan

• 11 months later...

Any updates / news on the European Youth comp planned for this year?  

Would be a great achievement..and news story...  if any player was able to represent in the European Championship and then the World Cup. 

Would love to know if the young English lad who played with Italy in 2018 is still linked to them.  

Last update was this one, confirming date (September 1-11), location (Lignano Sabbiadoro, a beach resort in NE Italy) and competing teams (France, Ukraine, England, Ireland, Italy, Serbia, Scotland and Wales) and that it will be u-19s.

https://europeanrugbyleague.com/articles/2148/ukraine-to-take-part-in-euro-u19s-champi

French team had a training camp last week I believe. 

Wales have named a squad: https://wrl.wales/wales-name-u19-squad-for-european-championships