Challenge Cup fixtures.

I have a couple of Challenge Cup Questions.

From 1993/94 the Challenge Cup was expanded to include a raft of non-league sides. For many years before then, non-league sides in the Challenge Cup seemed to be invited in ad hoc to make up the numbers in the 1st round. However, I know from Featherstone records that from 1896/97 to at least 1920 the Challenge Cup had a number of preliminary rounds of non-league teams leading up to the first round proper with professional clubs in it.

Q1: When did the preliminary rounds stop? Info from facebook group suggests there were preliminary rounds right up to the 1973 split with BARLA.

Q2: Has anybody got/started a list of these games? Obviously all the later records from 1993/94 onwards are available in Rothmans/L'Expess.

Mark,I have some from pre WW1 and the 1920s only picked them up on a random basis looking for other things.In 1929-30 it was reported there was some 109(from memory) entries including 8 clubs playing out a Welsh qualifying group.

On 23/05/2020 at 11:05, marklaspalmas said:

I have a couple of Challenge Cup Questions.

From 1993/94 the Challenge Cup was expanded to include a raft of non-league sides. For many years before then, non-league sides in the Challenge Cup seemed to be invited in ad hoc to make up the numbers in the 1st round. However, I know from Featherstone records that from 1896/97 to at least 1920 the Challenge Cup had a number of preliminary rounds of non-league teams leading up to the first round proper with professional clubs in it.

Q1: When did the preliminary rounds stop? Info from facebook group suggests there were preliminary rounds right up to the 1973 split with BARLA.

Q2: Has anybody got/started a list of these games? Obviously all the later records from 1993/94 onwards are available in Rothmans/L'Expess.

Hi Mark.  Didn't know you were after a list of these - I've got 93/4 - 2005(ish).  I've not verified them, so can't vouch for accuracy.  See if you get anything else more comprehensive, but if not, give me a shout.

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

3 hours ago, Neil_Ormston said:

Hi Mark.  Didn't know you were after a list of these - I've got 93/4 - 2005(ish).  I've not verified them, so can't vouch for accuracy.  See if you get anything else more comprehensive, but if not, give me a shout.

Yeah, Ive got 1993 onwards, ta.

I'm thinking more 1897 to 1973.

10 hours ago, daveh said:

Mark,I have some from pre WW1 and the 1920s only picked them up on a random basis looking for other things.In 1929-30 it was reported there was some 109(from memory) entries including 8 clubs playing out a Welsh qualifying group.

That's great. How do you record your stats? In Excel?

• 2 weeks later...

1st Round Amateur clubs participation, I think was restricted to the winners of the major amateur leagues, ie, Humberside, Yorkshire, Pennine, North-West Counties and Cumbria, but how they were chosen I do not know, there may have been a play-off, there may have been a rolling rotation, Wikipedia (yeah, I know!) has a good record of Challenge Cup fixtures going back quite a way, at least to WW2

Archived