What would you choose?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

To be fair, I am not really the right target audience for this question as I have little affiliation/support with a club side these days and so my answer was a little hyperbolic trying to emphasize how important I think international success would be for the sport in this country. 

And I agree, a few Super League titles for London would also be a real boost (but I would probably still take the World Cup win on balance).

What team do you watch most live Dunbar? 

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

What team do you watch most live Dunbar? 

I don't get to many games these days, the last few years has been work and a young family - and I'm an old Dad for a 6 year old so not much energy! (one of the reasons why I try and refrain from commenting on crowds as I don't want to appear hypocritical).

Anyway, when I do get to matches it is internationals and I also get to the Broncos every now and again.

I am hoping to become a more regular Broncos attendee.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

1. England win RL World cup

2. Your team win Superleague and the WCC within a year 

..... If the former how about 2 SL titles and 2 WCC

Obviously London Skolars winning the SL and WCC but in the real world England winning the World Cup will do..

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I will go for a GB test series win down under in 2024, that is a much bigger test for the player's than the WC, bettering the Aussies in a 3 match series and on their own midden nothing comes nowhere near for me.

Fair point.... Would be interesting to see how the Aussie public would respond to a bashing in Oz.... I think it'd get the revved up for international RL

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't get to many games these days, the last few years has been work and a young family - and I'm an old Dad for a 6 year old so not much energy! (one of the reasons why I try and refrain from commenting on crowds as I don't want to appear hypocritical).

Anyway, when I do get to matches it is internationals and I also get to the Broncos every now and again.

I am hoping to become a more regular Broncos attendee.

Bring your kids along to Ealing... I do! Pay for in ground parking and it's a 30 yard walk from car to seat! I bribe them with a Burger King.... They only get a dessert of Broncos win though so that ensures they cheer! 

I'll occasionally even bring her indoors (if I want a booze up ?

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Bring your kids along to Ealing... I do! Pay for in ground parking and it's a 30 yard walk from car to seat! I bribe them with a Burger King.... They only get a dessert of Broncos win though so that ensures they cheer! 

I'll occasionally even bring her indoors (if I want a booze up ?

I may well do that.  And after this lockdown I am sure we will all be happy to do it.

The Mrs is a non drinker so I like the designated driver idea.  The only part I couldn't do is the Burger King... being Italian, I think she would leave me if I took her to Burger King.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I may well do that.  And after this lockdown I am sure we will all be happy to do it.

The Mrs is a non drinker so I like the designated driver idea.  The only part I couldn't do is the Burger King... being Italian, I think she would leave me if I took her to Burger King.

Ha ha...for Italian-  Piccola in Ealing is nice.... Expensive day out with the rugby tickets on top though

A non drinking designated driver wife?- Great work! 

Had my kids out in their Broncos shirts today... Would have been the home game against Bulls tomorow.... The fixture I was most looking forward to....just cannot wait to get back watching live games again - both cricket and rugby 

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Imagine a final of Broncos vs Skolars...... We'd obviuolsy want a year or two to build up crowds first! ?

On current support there’d  be about 2000 there. Lol ? 

14 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Fair point.... Would be interesting to see how the Aussie public would respond to a bashing in Oz.... I think it'd get the revved up for international RL

God willing and C-19 free travel, the 2024 Ashes series down under has a big fat 'X' on the calander for me and my missus to pack our suitcases and go.

These days being retired and having enough of the folding stuff doesn't create any problems for me, but the first time I undertook an antipodean tour was back in '92, in '88 my brother who lived far away and I was visiting at the time when the '88 series down under was being televised had a discussion of how much it was a desire to attend and go on a tour, our wives said we should save up and make the trip, we decided on £10 a week each so without hestiation he gave me £40 which on my return home I immediately opened a bank account titled "Oz Fund" I added my contribution to it and he duly sent me £40 every 4th week for the next 4 years, luckily we both worked in jobs and had accommodating gaffers that allowed us to save holidays from each years allowance to take a month off in one period in '92, we had saved enough that with a little extra added it enabled us to take along our wives also, only fair really without their suggestion we would never have thought of doing it that way in the first place.

Anyone with an interest in this great game and the affordability should partake in one of these tours for what could be better than an holiday with RL involved and our national team to boot, it is a great feeling for me to attend games in this country to stand and observe the teams walking out side by side entering the field with all the razzamatazz lining up and the anthems but to do it on a football field on the other side of the world gives one a feeling that you are part of it, to me I feel I am also there representing my country - hairs standing on the back of the neck and goosebumps don't come anywhere near describing the feeling. 

The way my brother and I did it was affordable and well worth the effort, I would advise anyone to adopt the method, the timescales are roughly the same about 4.5 years to that '24 proposed tour, if anyone did it they wouldn't regret it, honestly it is that good.

19 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Nope, I’m selfish and want to see Saints win as much as possible, as often as possible. 

While a World Cup won would do more for the game, I’m not really bothered by England/GB and just see it as a nice distraction rather than anything else. 

Do you not attend Internationals Hela?

19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do you not attend Internationals Hela?

Sometimes. Admittedly it falls down the pecking order of events for me, way below home games, away games, a few days in France for Catalans and Magic Weekend. Though I will attempt to do a few more World Cup games than I normally would next year due to what I’ve saved this year due to this pandemic. 

18 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

GB ones should be separate, especially as the 2 blokes who've captained 2 British World cup winning sides have been Scottish and Welsh!

Not as bad as Russia claiming the USSRs medals from the Olympics when teams, such as football, were 80%+Ukrainian 

True Dave Valentine (scot) and Clive Sullivan ( welsh) but you got to remember Clive only  started playing rugby in the army at catterick north yorks so in reality he was a white rose captain??  

2 minutes ago, POR said:

True Dave Valentine (scot) and Clive Sullivan ( welsh) but you got to remember Clive only  started playing rugby in the army at catterick north yorks so in reality he was a white rose captain??  

See now you'll just upset the Lancs! 

The first option for sure. As a Wigan fan I have seen my club win SL and WCC multiple times but never in my lifetime have I seen England or GB win a major series against the Aussies or the World Cup.

Winning the World Cup at home would have huge benefit for RL in this country for 20+ years.

8 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Sometimes. Admittedly it falls down the pecking order of events for me, way below home games, away games, a few days in France for Catalans and Magic Weekend. Though I will attempt to do a few more World Cup games than I normally would this year due to what I’ve saved this year due to this pandemic. 

Thanks for the answer Hela, when I go to international games I feel they GB/England are everymuch as *belonging to me as watching the club I have supported for 50+years, I get really involved in watching and supporting them I feel the hits and evade the tackles everybit as much as I do at Leigh games, on the other hand when I attend games not involving any of those teams, and there has been a lot of those or even watching on TV I am merely a spectator observing the proceedings happening in front of me, but as they say each to their own.

*It is for another thread and was done to death last year, but as last season when Hastings, Coote, Austen and previously when Heighington, Fa'asavalu and Chase represented England/GB I can't comprehend that, I know it is within the rules but I would much sooner not entertain them, and the same goes for the coaches also, I am so happy that a Wiganer is the New International coach replacing the Aussie and coming from a Leigh lad that is tantamount to commiting a mortal sin.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thanks for the answer Hela, when I go to international games I feel they GB/England are everymuch as *belonging to me as watching the club I have supported for 50+years, I get really involved in watching and supporting them I feel the hits and evade the tackles everybit as much as I do at Leigh games, on the other hand when I attend games not involving any of those teams, and there has been a lot of those or even watching on TV I am merely a spectator observing the proceedings happening in front of me, but as they say each to their own.

*It is for another thread and was done to death last year, but as last season when Hastings, Coote, Austen and previously when Heighington, Fa'asavalu and Chase represented England/GB I can't comprehend that, I know it is within the rules but I would much sooner not entertain them, and the same goes for the coaches also, I am so happy that a Wiganer is the New International coach replacing the Aussie and coming from a Leigh lad that is tantamount to commiting a mortal sin.

I get that. I hope England/GB win every game but I don’t feel as connected to them as I do St Helens and defeats don’t bother me as much as a Saints defeat. 

I’m not so bothered about non-English born players playing. It’s common across the Australia and New Zealand sides, so I don’t get why we wouldn’t do it but only with players who are better than what we have (Austin on the wing for example wasn’t one such example). 

Archived