What would you choose?

32 minutes ago, POR said:

True Dave Valentine (scot) and Clive Sullivan ( welsh) but you got to remember Clive only  started playing rugby in the army at catterick north yorks so in reality he was a white rose captain??  

I will see your adopted 'Yorkshire' captain and raise you the two last Lancashire born winning 'Test' series v Aus captains Frank Myler and Alan Prescott.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

God willing and C-19 free travel, the 2024 Ashes series down under has a big fat 'X' on the calander for me and my missus to pack our suitcases and go.

These days being retired and having enough of the folding stuff doesn't create any problems for me, but the first time I undertook an antipodean tour was back in '92, in '88 my brother who lived far away and I was visiting at the time when the '88 series down under was being televised had a discussion of how much it was a desire to attend and go on a tour, our wives said we should save up and make the trip, we decided on £10 a week each so without hestiation he gave me £40 which on my return home I immediately opened a bank account titled "Oz Fund" I added my contribution to it and he duly sent me £40 every 4th week for the next 4 years, luckily we both worked in jobs and had accommodating gaffers that allowed us to save holidays from each years allowance to take a month off in one period in '92, we had saved enough that with a little extra added it enabled us to take along our wives also, only fair really without their suggestion we would never have thought of doing it that way in the first place.

Anyone with an interest in this great game and the affordability should partake in one of these tours for what could be better than an holiday with RL involved and our national team to boot, it is a great feeling for me to attend games in this country to stand and observe the teams walking out side by side entering the field with all the razzamatazz lining up and the anthems but to do it on a football field on the other side of the world gives one a feeling that you are part of it, to me I feel I am also there representing my country - hairs standing on the back of the neck and goosebumps don't come anywhere near describing the feeling. 

The way my brother and I did it was affordable and well worth the effort, I would advise anyone to adopt the method, the timescales are roughly the same about 4.5 years to that '24 proposed tour, if anyone did it they wouldn't regret it, honestly it is that good.

Was talking with her indoors about Australia just this week. Our kids are just about at the age that we can resume a but of backpacking with them (6 and 8).....Australia one of the mentioned countries though the missus used to live in Sydney so is more interested in South East asia

Incidentally she lived in Sydney and never watched an NRL game or a cricket match.... She has been reprimanded many times for this

10 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I will see your adopted 'Yorkshire' captain and raise you the two last Lancashire born winning 'Test' series v Aus captains Frank Myler and Alan Prescott.

So, who would win out of an all-time Yorkshire XIII and all-time Lancashire XIII?

I suppose how you determine eligibility would make a difference too. Would Ellery Hanley be Yorkshire (think he's from Leeds) or Lancashire (because of all the years at Wigan)?

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

I suppose how you determine eligibility would make a difference too. Would Ellery Hanley be Yorkshire (think he's from Leeds) or Lancashire (because of all the years at Wigan)?

Qualification (State of Origin at least, I can’t remember what the criteria was the last time we tried a Roses game) is based upon your club at the time of your senior debut. So in Hanley’s case (Bradford), it would be Yorkshire. 

Archived