Best live rock performances available to watch on Youtube...

Obviously a very subjective discussion and poll but during the last two or three months of not going out much I've spent a huge amount of time drifting through the Youtube archives watching some of my favourite bands and artists perform. I've watched the Cranberries, the Cocteau Twins, Coldplay, Oasis and stacks of other personal favourites and loved them all but, I have to confess, for pure stage presence and having the ability to wrap the huge crowd around his little finger and get them to perform exactly how he wanted them to, I can't think of anybody to beat this guy on what was the World's biggest stage on this day...

Sheer genius.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

The all-female rock band F@nny (yes, I know) on Beat Club: https://youtu.be/Zcb1HpH42N8

A pretty decent set from a lesser known but talented band.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The all-female rock band F@nny (yes, I know) on Beat Club: https://youtu.be/Zcb1HpH42N8

A pretty decent set from a lesser known but talented band.

Did you discover them during an ...ahem...internet search?

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

4 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Depends what you like. I watched a fab full gig of wishbone ash circa 76 last week.

That's why I indicated it was subjective.

My reason for posting the thread is that I'm not a particularly big fan of Queen, but if I had to choose between watching my favourite bands and gigs and watching Queen at Live Aid, I'm pretty sure I'd go for Queen every time. Mercury put on an incredible performance alongside Brian May, the entire set was mesmeric and the crowd was as one responding.

Superb.

13 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

My reason for posting the thread is that I'm not a particularly big fan of Queen, but if I had to choose between watching my favourite bands and gigs and watching Queen at Live Aid, I'm pretty sure I'd go for Queen every time. Mercury put on an incredible performance alongside Brian May, the entire set was mesmeric and the crowd was as one responding.

Superb.

Never been a fan. Dont like brian May's sound.... his orchestrations and arrangements are very well engineered and produced and Freddie had a good voice and range.... just really not my cup o' tea.... 

I formed this opinion in the first gig I ever went to as a young teen.... they supported mott the hoople. My opinion was reinforced when bohemian rapsody and night at the opera were released.... everybody (bar me) loved them. 

25 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Never been a fan.

Neither have I, like I've already said.

But I was hoping this thread could be about putting your personal favourites to one side in favour of some artist or band that you, perhaps even begrudgingly, have to admit, really stole a particular show.

4 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Neither have I, like I've already said.

But I was hoping this thread could be about putting your personal favourites to one side in favour of some artist or band that you, perhaps even begrudgingly, have to admit, really stole a particular show.

If I'm honest, one band that did that for me was the proclaimers 

The memsahib wanted to go and I really begrudgingly went with the face on. They were brilliant. Way exceeded expectations and for a cracking bonus had miles whatshisface from the wonderstuff supporting 

I had a similar experience with The Proclaimers (memory says Sheffield City Hall 2010 ish), I went expecting mediocrity and was well entertained by 2 of the best singing, song writing musicians we have in Britain. 

The Wonderstuff backed on that day too, 'Size of a cow'. Included a lass who could play a violin better than average too.

2 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Superb.

Here's the thing - there are a lot of Queen songs I really like, but most of the live footage I've seen and heard, they duck the complicated stuff and Freddie avoids the high notes.

For me, despite Mercury's undeniable charisma on stage, I preferred their studio material, when they'd tweaked and layered everything to perfection. Plus their videos showcased a great and often amusing visual style.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Here's a gig that actually convinced the band not to break up. Proper Aussie rock, too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Never been a fan. Dont like brian May's sound.... his orchestrations and arrangements are very well engineered and produced and Freddie had a good voice and range.... just really not my cup o' tea.... 

I formed this opinion in the first gig I ever went to as a young teen.... they supported mott the hoople. My opinion was reinforced when bohemian rapsody and night at the opera were released.... everybody (bar me) loved them. 

Saw them at Leeds TH supporting Mott the Hoopleand wasn't overly impressed.Was'nt overly impressed with Mott the Hoople either.

I'd been conned into taking my nephew who wasn't deemed old enough to go on his own.Now he was mad about Mott the Hoople.

4 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Snap almost completely! Plus another big Wishbone Ash fan. "Argus" remains an all time favourite.

8 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

If I'm honest, one band that did that for me was the proclaimers 

Now that's summat we can agree on.

Went to see the Housemartins at Hull City Hall around 1987 ish and wandered in halfway through the support act the Proclaimers, who made me instantly wish I'd got there earlier. 

They already seemed to have the crowd in a frenzy, belting out songs in their Jock accents and sounded terrific.

Taught me a lesson in not being too late to get in to gigs from then on.

11 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

My reason for posting the thread is that I'm not a particularly big fan of Queen

Agreed. I'm not a Queen fan but somehow I used to have a copy of this... 

...on VHS. I watched it quite often because of Freddie's stage presence. A real performer! 

I went to watch Oasis play at the Sheffield Arena and Ocean Colour Scene were supposed to be supporting them but their guitarist broke his hand in a warm-up gig in Paris the day before. At the Sheffield gig a DJ was playing tunes as a warm-up. The arena then went when dark as he was playing "Do you remember the first time?" by Pulp. When the lights came back up Pulp were playing it on stage. No one knew they were now the support act. The place when mental and they were brilliant. Jarvis is a great front man. I do like bands playing their home towns too

OK, this isn't the Sheffield gig but they're still a great live act and this is on YouTube, so meets the criteria 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

9 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

Saw them at Leeds TH supporting Mott the Hoopleand wasn't overly impressed.Was'nt overly impressed with Mott the Hoople either.

I'd been conned into taking my nephew who wasn't deemed old enough to go on his own.Now he was mad about Mott the Hoople.

Mick Ralph's and Verden Allen had left by then. They weren't the band they had been. But it was my first gig.... I was so excited ?

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Mick Ralph's and Verden Allen had left by then. They weren't the band they had been. But it was my first gig.... I was so excited ?

Was it Ariel Bender on guitar?

I preferred Queen when Paul Rodgers was vocalist. I have the live CD they did.

1 minute ago, Niels said:

Was it Ariel Bender on guitar?

I preferred Queen when Paul Rodgers was vocalist. I have the live CD they did.

Aye luther grosvenor...aka ariel bender.... he was dire....

I'm a huge paul Rogers fan. First album I bought was fire n water. Live, Bad co were a bit disappointing in the 70s. Saw them a few years ago and they rocked.... when perhaps I didn't expect them to.

Sadly Mick Ralph's has had a stroke and is finished. I liked Ralpher.

6 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Aye luther grosvenor...aka ariel bender.... he was dire....

I'm a huge paul Rogers fan. First album I bought was fire n water. Live, Bad co were a bit disappointing in the 70s. Saw them a few years ago and they rocked.... when perhaps I didn't expect them to.

Sadly Mick Ralph's has had a stroke and is finished. I liked Ralpher.

I bought the extended CD re-issue of Fire and Water, every track is strong. 

I will have a look on You tube today to try to find some songs. It will keep me anyway from the Political threads lol. 

7 minutes ago, Moose said:

This performance makes all the others seem tame. There’s been loads of rock guitarists but there was only one Rory Gallagher.

Guitar, Bass and Drums that’s all you need. 

Doc feelgood bad company Jimi Hendrix free jam pistols stone Roses 

Archived