Best Autobiographies

17 minutes ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Coaches: Both Wayne Bennett's are good reads. Jack Gibson's too. 

Players: Jamie Peacock, Adrian Morley and Barrie McDermott are really candid books.

Yep Jamie peacocks book is a great read.

Would agree with Gene, Clawson, Reilly, Thompson & Mitchell and add Millward, Beetson & Hartley to that list.

One I would really like to read but doubt that we will ever see is Ellery Hanley's.

3 hours ago, dkw said:

Cec Thompson and Tom Mitchell's are both brilliant reads, both people led incredible lives. 

Both of these are excellent and fascinating, but if you're more keen on the laddish behaviour type of tell-all, look elsewhere.

Stanley Gene's autobiography Daydream Believer is informative, touching and quite unhinged.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sean long, even as a wire the book is brilliant warts and all read. I have read loads of auto biography from many sports but when i speak to fans who have read it there are plenty of talking points. 

2 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Sean long, even as a wire the book is brilliant warts and all read. I have read loads of auto biography from many sports but when i speak to fans who have read it there are plenty of talking points. 

Seconded.

Whether you like him as a player or not, this is one book you never get bored of.   You do wonder how he and Gleeson managed to stay employed as professional sportsmen and win so much silverware. 

I feel a bit sorry for some of the other players mentioned in the book though. Nobody is spared embarrassment! ? 

2 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Definitely gonna get Longs book, I’ll add Stanley Gene to my wish list as well

4 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Seconded.

Whether you like him as a player or not, this is one book you never get bored of.   You do wonder how he and Gleeson managed to stay employed as professional sportsmen and win so much silverware. 

I feel a bit sorry for some of the other players mentioned in the book though. Nobody is spared embarrassment! ? 

OK I'm sold....just bought it

18 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Totally agree and not just because Longy signed a copy for me at Wardlesworth's. It in many ways a tribute to his Ghost Writer, Nick Appleyard. Most autobiographies are written in the vein of a primary school teacher reading to a group of 7-8 year olds. But this one in the style of someone sidling up to you in the bar, pint in hand ready to spin a yarn and in Longy's case what a yarn it was...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/05/2020 at 23:19, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

OK I'm sold....just bought it

Just read 'Longy'...... Dear oh dear  northerners are funny folk

If I had ever pooed myself on a night out in Blackpool wearing white linen trousers then I'd never write it in a book. Imagine people knowing I'd worn white linen trousers.... Or worse still knowing I'd been to Blackpool

He really sla gs off the international game... Quite shocking actually. I also disagree with him.... I think players main motivation for playing for their country should be the prestige and not money.... Besides being a successful international in itself directly and indirectly helps the player economically anyway! 

On 25/05/2020 at 10:53, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Totally agree and not just because Longy signed a copy for me at Wardlesworth's. It in many ways a tribute to his Ghost Writer, Nick Appleyard. Most autobiographies are written in the vein of a primary school teacher reading to a group of 7-8 year olds. But this one in the style of someone sidling up to you in the bar, pint in hand ready to spin a yarn and in Longy's case what a yarn it was...

Yep.... Very unusual tone with lots of swearing..... Was interesting if nothing else 

There is a new biography about Olsen Filipaina which takes a deeper look inside a player considered the trailblazer for players of pacific heritage.

Perhaps have a listen to the recent podcast episode of The Rugby League Project which includes an interview with the writer.

Archived