Spitfire Engine Start Up

I've posted this before, but I did once get buzzed at very low level by the only surviving Lancaster bomber. That's four similar engines without any silencers, and I still haven't forgotten the sensation - as much physical as aural.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Pleasant or unpleasant? 

Well, at first I didn't know what it was, which was pretty alarming. Then I looked out of the window, just as it roared overhead.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Wait a minute..... How old are you and was this in the 1940s?

Cheeky! This was either very late Eighties/early Nineties. I live near the RAF Museum at Colindale, and the historic flights often pass over there towards whichever airfield they use for London fly-bys.

I've seen the Lancaster on other occasions, usually with a Spitfire and Hurricane as part of the display as they pass over North London, but on this particular occasion, it was alone, and much much lower than normal, so maybe they were having technical problems.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 25/05/2020 at 00:29, Futtocks said:

I've posted this before, but I did once get buzzed at very low level by the only surviving Lancaster bomber. That's four similar engines without any silencers, and I still haven't forgotten the sensation - as much physical as aural.

During the Falklands conflict I was training outdoors at Redhill ARLFC when a Vulcan bomber flew overhead At low level probably going to RAF Finningley.  absolutely breathtaking and magnificent.

A similar engine experience was at Silverstone, where this 24-litre Napier-Bentley was racing. Note the lack of silencers! The backfire when the driver was slowing for corners was amazing.

Napier_Bentley_Mallory_Park_paddock.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Best roar in the world when fully restored, I was at Barton Aerodrome for the Manchester air show was on, 40 years or so ago, & they had a MkIV Spitfire take off for a couple of fly pasts, then go to home.

The noise made my hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, but when it did its low level fly past, at speed, that's when I knew that is why it and the Hurricane won the Battle of Britain.

On 24/05/2020 at 15:59, Futtocks said:

If you want physical sensation, recently Hastings & South coast have been low level buzzed by Chinook Helicopters. That is Physical Assault.

42 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

If you want physical sensation, recently Hastings & South coast have been low level buzzed by Chinook Helicopters. That is Physical Assault.

Yes, the Chinook's double rotors create a resonance that really gets inside your head. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived