Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Manfred Mann

Despite NRL interest, Israel Folau is staying in France in 2021

Recommended Posts

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/they-will-drive-me-to-my-next-club-bateman-lifts-lid-on-contract-saga-with-raiders-20200524-p54vy5.html

 

The relevant paragraph:

Folau rejects Tigers

It could have been one of the biggest sports stories of the year. Israel Folau was contemplating a return home after a conversation with Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire a couple of weeks ago. Maguire, who worked with Folau during their time together at the Storm more than a decade ago, spoke with the dual international to gauge his interest in returning to the NRL next season. However, the 31-year-old is content to remain in the south of France, and is set to extend his deal with the Super League club Catalans for another season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This means that 2021 could be one of the greatest Super League seasons ever. With Greg Inglis, Blake Austin and Gareth WIddop at Warrington, and Israel Folau, James Maloney and Sam Tomkins at Catalans, it could be a Warrington-Catalans Grand Final in 2021. The clash of Folau vs Inglis will definitely fill stadiums, and hopefully get British national media attention, as well as more interest in Super League from Australian fans. Nevertheless St Helens and Wigan should still be in the race, and because of these two star signings many more SL matches are going to be patronised by newly excited fans.

Edited by Manfred Mann
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/they-will-drive-me-to-my-next-club-bateman-lifts-lid-on-contract-saga-with-raiders-20200524-p54vy5.html

 

The relevant paragraph:

Folau rejects Tigers

It could have been one of the biggest sports stories of the year. Israel Folau was contemplating a return home after a conversation with Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire a couple of weeks ago. Maguire, who worked with Folau during their time together at the Storm more than a decade ago, spoke with the dual international to gauge his interest in returning to the NRL next season. However, the 31-year-old is content to remain in the south of France, and is set to extend his deal with the Super League club Catalans for another season.

 

I doubt the NRL would register him so it’s not really got any legs.

  • Thanks 1

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The montpellier rugby union owner is not happy with him as he refused a contract with them after speaking to them and the owner himself, 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

This means that 2021 could be one of the greatest Super League seasons ever. With Greg Inglis, Blake Austin and Gareth WIddop at Warrington, and Israel Folau, James Maloney and Sam Tomkins at Catalans, it could be a Warrington-Catalans Grand Final in 2021. The clash of Folau vs Inglis will definitely fill stadiums, and hopefully get British national media attention, as well as more interest in Super League from Australian fans. Nevertheless St Helens and Wigan should still be in the race, and because of these two star signings many more SL matches are going to be patronised by newly excited fans.

Fantastic news, Benji Marshall could also be heading to Super League. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, barnyia said:

The montpellier rugby union owner is not happy with him as he refused a contract with them after speaking to them and the owner himself, 

 

Your message isn’t finished off Barny.  Had he agreed a contract recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No he was in discussions with montpellier and refused the offer, so the owner came out and slated him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, barnyia said:

No he was in discussions with montpellier and refused the offer, so the owner came out and slated him. 

Ok.  So he was in discussion though.  Must be chasing more money already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am still predicting he will be playing French Union next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just my opinion but I’ll be very surprised if Catalans reach the Grand Final . Too hot and cold , too many questions on temperament and too many games which aren’t in France . Regardless of who they sign to stick a team together I’m just never sold on them over a season 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, barnyia said:

No he was in discussions with montpellier and refused the offer, so the owner came out and slated him. 

Standard union arrogance 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Just my opinion but I’ll be very surprised if Catalans reach the Grand Final . Too hot and cold , too many questions on temperament and too many games which aren’t in France . Regardless of who they sign to stick a team together I’m just never sold on them over a season 

Always worth a punt on a cup run though... I was there for their win at Wembley.... What a day that was

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Allora said:

I doubt the NRL would register him so it’s not really got any legs.

Don’t count on it. Greenberg is gone and that decision will come down to another administrator now. I expect the NRL would have him back if he was to accept an offer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Standard union arrogance 

Here are the words of Montpellier RU owner to the Midi Olympique magazine

"Between him and the MHR, the negotiations lasted two months. His interlocutors at the club today seem to have been cheated, used to raise the stakes. The way they were treated in this case is difficult to qualify ... Folau, he wanted to speak to me on the phone; I took the time for him. And we end up like this… ”

Where do you find precisely the evidence of union arrogance, albeit a standard one ? Not a word about League.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bobrock said:

Here are the words of Montpellier RU owner to the Midi Olympique magazine

"Between him and the MHR, the negotiations lasted two months. His interlocutors at the club today seem to have been cheated, used to raise the stakes. The way they were treated in this case is difficult to qualify ... Folau, he wanted to speak to me on the phone; I took the time for him. And we end up like this… ”

Where do you find precisely the evidence of union arrogance, albeit a standard one ? Not a word about League.

Entitlement 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its going to be a tough year next year financially for the Dragons I think the home crowds are still stuck around the 8000 mark with the odd match (Extra away fans) raising it to 9/10000 + unemployment in the region after Covid 19 will sadly be higher than it is now.

I dont know how much money the Marie and Region throw in nowadays but I would be surprised if its anything like as much as 10 years ago also the Dragons are down around 2/300000 a year over the last few years due to the strong Euro.

Corporate wise though I think only Leeds come anywhere near them and wait until Toulouse eventually get into SL:) it will be double triple that of the Dragons:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Entitlement 

Where ? How ? Can you really believe that no owner of a League club has ever reacted in the same way, using similar words, to a two months negotiation gone wrong ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bobrock said:

Where ? How ? Can you really believe that no owner of a League club has ever reacted in the same way, using similar words, to a two months negotiation gone wrong ?

Entitlement that he'd have the audacity to turn them down and implying the only reason he's staying at Catalans is £. Coming from a club that has been trying to throw money about at Folau and Du Toit, it's very rich.

Of course, it couldn't possibly be that Folau wanted to repay the faith that Guasch and Catalans have shown in taking him on in the first place.

Sour grapes

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/05/2020 at 11:49, Lowdesert said:

Ok.  So he was in discussion though.  Must be chasing more money already.

Yeah it’s completely unacceptable that he explores his options at the end of a one year contract. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Entitlement that he'd have the audacity to turn them down and implying the only reason he's staying at Catalans is £. Coming from a club that has been trying to throw money about at Folau and Du Toit, it's very rich.

Of course, it couldn't possibly be that Folau wanted to repay the faith that Guasch and Catalans have shown in taking him on in the first place.

Sour grapes

hard to believe it took two months for him to decide he wanted to repay that faith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bobrock said:

hard to believe it took two months for him to decide he wanted to repay that faith

He may not have even been offered a contract by Catalans during that period

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

He may not have even been offered a contract by Catalans during that period

Quite possible. Like many other posssible explanations. The only certainty being the arrogance of the Montpellier owner. Or maybe not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bobrock said:

hard to believe it took two months for him to decide he wanted to repay that faith

Why is it, he’s a professional sportsman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bobrock said:

Quite possible. Like many other posssible explanations. The only certainty being the arrogance of the Montpellier owner. Or maybe not

Glad you’ve come to your senses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...