BOO! Big League Magazine BOO!

Hey up, I've just read this shocking news:

Big League

NOTE FOR BIG LEAGUE SUBSCRIBERS

Big League magazine will cease publication for the remainder of the 2020 NRL season.

In close consultation with the NRL, it was agreed that the ongoing costs of producing a high quality magazine in an environment where the season will be played without live audiences was no longer sustainable, despite a loyal and invaluable readership.

If you are an existing subscriber, we will be in touch shortly with some more information. Should you have any questions in the interim, please contact us at subs@magsonline.com.au

Thank you for your loyalty and commitment to Big League magazine

Well I am a subscriber and I am really disappointed.

I read what they say and I realise the strength of their argument.

All the same...

It's a big step to take to close it down for the rest of this year.

I have an online subscription which is the only efficient way of being able to read the magazine, before the round starts, up here in the northern hemisphere.

So good luck to them and I hope their readership is as loyal and committed to them as they hope.

Drat!

Once something  disappears for a period of time it will be difficult for it to return.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

On 28/05/2020 at 04:16, Graham said:

Yes, Irish St and what happens to their journalists, production and distribution staff until 2021. 
Will they stick around loyally or will they look for other opportunities?

Exactly mate,good sports journos are as rare as hens teeth these days and now that Murdoch`s sacking thousands more around the world,the profession will soon die out.

You will be interested to Know then that League Unlimited are producing a Big League type mag this season FREE and in PDF format  - A stonking read

https://leagueunlimited.com/news/34597-leagueunlimited-the-front-row-volume-1-edition-2/?utm_source=forums&utm_medium=notice&utm_campaign=round4_2020

Round-4-Program.pdf

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

On 04/06/2020 at 09:56, THE RED ROOSTER said:

You will be interested to Know then that League Unlimited are producing a Big League type mag this season FREE and in PDF format  - A stonking read

https://leagueunlimited.com/news/34597-leagueunlimited-the-front-row-volume-1-edition-2/?utm_source=forums&utm_medium=notice&utm_campaign=round4_2020

Round-4-Program.pdf 8.7 MB · 5 downloads

Thanks, chief. Good read.

This week’s issue here https://leagueunlimited.com/news/34637-leagueunlimited-the-front-row-volume-1-edition-3/

I don't even think I was contacted and told about this as a subscriber. I don't think I was offered any compensation.

I think it is incredibly weak to stop publishing it.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

7 hours ago, DlEHARD said:

I don't even think I was contacted and told about this as a subscriber. I don't think I was offered any compensation.

I think it is incredibly weak to stop publishing it.

Well as a subscriber after that message above (either from an email or Facebook...  can’t remember which) I have heard nothing from them. I thought they’d have offered a refund or at least something regarding next season’s subscription. The silence from them is deafening.

• 4 months later...

A bit late I know... but I found this background information:

The NRL will be without an official program for the first time in a century with the Big League magazine to be shut down for 2020.

The weekly publication’s six full-time staff were told on Wednesday morning that it would not be produced this year, with NRL games to go ahead without crowds.

Officially owned by the NRL and licensed to News Corp, the magazine has been the record for the game since its inception 100 years ago in 1920.

It also produces the official programs for State of Origin and grand finals, as well as the season guide.

The first two rounds for this season and the overall preview had already been printed and sold.

The decision will leave the code without a recognised magazine this year after Rugby League Week was shut down by Bauer Media Group in 2017.

There are still hopes Big League could be revived for 2021.

Under the long-standing deal between News Corp and the NRL, the league pays the media company an annual fee to produce the magazine.

News Corp then pays for staff salaries and production costs.

Staff had been stood down since the competition was stopped in March, with the view to return on its resumption later this month.

The developments comes as the NRL attempts to cut costs across the game by up to $50 million.

5 hours ago, R L Winger said:

I'm now wondering if it will make it's return in 2021 or is it now confined to the pages of history just like Rugby League Week was back in 2017. 

I’d paid a subscription for the year and got one email, see above. I never did get further information, though to be fair I never used the email contact link they provided. I thought that when they’d decided what would happen in the long run  they’d then let everyone know. I haven’t been able to find any information out there as to what the future holds for the mag if any.

It’s not the money that worries me.

I’ve managed without the magazine of course, but again that’s not the point.

• 3 months later...

Big League gone for Good ?

https://junctionjournalism.com/2020/11/27/editor-fears-for-future-of-big-league-and-australian-magazines/

No activity on Facebook or Twitter Joining Rugby League Week in the hearafter

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, DlEHARD said:

Absolute disgrace if the NRL let Big League die. I loved subscribing to that mag. The online version was so convenient. 

Having had no communication from them and with nothing to show for  annual subscriptions they will have lost a lot of goodwill. I was happy to subscribe year after year to the online version. I’ve now got used to being without it. 

Rugby League Week and now Big League gone......As a kid back in the late 1960's and early 1970's always grabbed a copy of Big League on the way into the ground to watch the games. It told you who was playing and what number was on there backs in all three grades. I would say there will be a new magazine come out to replace them soon even if it is only online.

St-George-Dragons-2024.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 31/03/2021 at 03:17, rondog21 said:

is big league ever going to come back and is it on online and why did it have to close?

It's gone and unlikely to see the light of day again.

When it stopped last season this was put out:

In close consultation with the NRL, it was agreed that the ongoing costs of producing a high quality magazine in an environment where the season will be played without live audiences was no longer sustainable, despite a loyal and invaluable readership.

There were hopes that it could be started again in 2021, but as staff and everything was stood down/ let go, there's no apparent stirrings of life. 

As Monty Python would say "This magazine is no more, it has ceased to be, E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker!"

Archived