Sign in to follow this  
SL17

Let’s make it happen.

I have #### all money. Everything I spend is on my family and a sport I played and was brought up with.

I don’t really care about expansion as I have a club and a community to protect.

But how do I protect the sport?

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

I have #### all money. Everything I spend is on my family and a sport I played and was brought up with.

I don’t really care about expansion as I have a club and a community to protect.

You hid that well

• Haha 3

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

3 hours ago, SL17 said:

Encourage as many people as possible to go and watch the team you support. Take people with you to games to show them what it’s like, wear a shirt in the supermarket if it’s your local club. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SL17 said:

By ensuring it has sustainable growth and expansion.

• Like 12

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, nadera78 said:

You hid that well

I didn’t expect getting a civil answer from a newt. 

Thanks.

Scorn every decision the game makes, despise all expansion teams and say they’ll never last, abuse referees from roughly 100 metres from the pitch from your seat, claim Rugby League is ###### and it was much better back in the day, call Super League something really funny like Super Greed, not forgetting the $, if your team isn’t in the top tier and moan about everything Sky Sports do when showing Rugby League on TV. 

That’s how most people here do it. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

This is it.

new rise.jpg

6 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Scorn every decision the game makes, despise all expansion teams and say they’ll never last, abuse referees from roughly 100 metres from the pitch from your seat, claim Rugby League is ###### and it was much better back in the day, call Super League something really funny like Super Greed, not forgetting the $, if your team isn’t in the top tier and moan about everything Sky Sports do when showing Rugby League on TV. 

Go on, HW, admit it!  You've been eavesdropping on me again, haven't you?

8 hours ago, SL17 said:

I didn’t expect getting a civil answer from a newt. 

Thanks.

OK precious.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

7 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

You forgot price of ale/entry ticket, and cardboard crowds overseas...:kolobok_wild:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gingerjon said:

But surely you can’t have expansion before sustainable growth? Basically you need to sort this end before pursuing to the other!

Do you not?

7 hours ago, SL17 said:

But surely you can’t have expansion before sustainable growth? Basically you need to sort this end before pursuing to the other!

Do you not?

Why can't you have both?

What do you mean by 'sustainable growth'? Is it just having a few more kids playing the game in your small and insignificant northern town?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

Why can't you have both?

What do you mean by 'sustainable growth'? Is it just having a few more kids playing the game in your small and insignificant northern town?

You liked @gingerjon post! Why are you asking me ?

9 hours ago, SL17 said:

People have said that since the game was invented...

Some clubs have over a 100yrs of history and experience in the sport and local communities yet continue to be basket cases. 

So protecting history/tradition above expansion doesn’t protect the sport IMO. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

You liked @gingerjon post! Why are you asking me ?

God, but you're as thick as mince.

It was you who wrote, "But surely you can’t have expansion before sustainable growth?" It's your statement and I'm simply asking you to explain what you mean by 'sustainable growth'. All perfectly reasonable. What I like is not relevant.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

People have said that since the game was invented...

Some clubs have over a 100yrs of history and experience in the sport and local communities yet continue to be basket cases. 

So protecting history/tradition above expansion doesn’t protect the sport IMO. 

But the history of expansion isn’t outstanding. Yet you put that failure over tradition.

One can’t work without the other. Now if you want to sacrifice basket cases to again see failure.

How does that protect the sport?

SL17

Wot! Still no explanation from you about 'sustainable growth'. 

Allow me to answer for you. To you 'sustainable growth' is possibly little more than your small town team receiving a share of a pot of gold you imagine, in your complete ignorance, is being thrown at 'expansion' and 'expansion' clubs. 

And what if your small town team actually got a few extra quid would they really use it to pay off a Vat bill in a timely manner, or maybe to fund a schools programme? 

Nah! Your small town small time team, along with every other small town team, would put the money straight into players' pockets as they chase a place in Super Greed. 

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

SL17

Wot! Still no explanation from you about 'sustainable growth'. 

Allow me to answer for you. To you 'sustainable growth' is possibly little more than your small town team receiving a share of a pot of gold you imagine, in your complete ignorance, is being thrown at 'expansion' and 'expansion' clubs. 

And what if your small town team actually got a few extra quid would they really use it to pay off a Vat bill in a timely manner, or maybe to fund a schools programme? 

Nah! Your small town small time team, along with every other small town team, would put the money straight into players' pockets as they chase a place in Super Greed. 

Go back and read the thread. Then, I may take time to converse with you.

9 hours ago, SL17 said:

But the history of expansion isn’t outstanding. Yet you put that failure over tradition.

One can’t work without the other. Now if you want to sacrifice basket cases to again see failure.

How does that protect the sport?

Who said anything about sacrificing traditional clubs? 

What I stated was prioritisation of those clubs isn’t the correct approach; most couldn’t organise a p***up in a brewery. 

Just let the sport grow organically. If that means some traditional English clubs are replaced by better run overseas-based clubs or from elsewhere in England, then so be it. Invest in the development of the sport where it’s most appropriate.

Edited by GeordieSaint

On 28/05/2020 at 03:33, SL17 said:

If you live in the heartlands and you want to see the sport thrive then put your hand up and volunteer to help out in the growing area of girls and womens Rugby League. 

Playing numbers are growing and it is very good for the profile of our sport. I am sure the clubs would welcome an extra pair of hands to support.

7 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Who said anything about sacrificing traditional clubs? 

What I stated was prioritisation of those clubs isn’t the correct approach; most couldn’t organise a p***up in a brewery. 

Just let the sport grow organically. If that means some traditional English clubs are replaced by better run overseas-based clubs or from elsewhere in England, then so be it. Invest in the development of the sport where it’s most appropriate.

Nobody did. The word you used (as I quoted) was tradition.