Thur 28 May: NRL: Brisbane Broncos v Parramatta Eels (Sky TV 10.55am)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Brisbane pack looks very good on paper... lots of good individuals; but somehow the whole doesn't add up to the sum of the parts.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Herbie is 14

Oops, yes. Got my substitutes' numbers muddled.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

One tough defensive stint for Brisbane, which seemed to last for most of the second half.

Brisbane Broncos 6:34 Parramatta Eels at the final hooter.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

42 minutes ago, Copa said:

It’s strange to hear a crowd roar for Parra in Brisbane.. ?

We have plenty of fans up here Copa ?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Farnworth was on a bit of a hiding to nothing given the way the game was when he was brought on. Will be interesting to see how he goes, although of course it’s anyone’s guess if there will be an England squad for him to get called up to this season anyway. 

1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Farnworth was on a bit of a hiding to nothing given the way the game was when he was brought on. Will be interesting to see how he goes, although of course it’s anyone’s guess if there will be an England squad for him to get called up to this season anyway. 

I thought he should’ve gone looking for work to try and turn the game. Wasn’t enough effort for me but hopefully he’ll learn. 

Brisbane had their chances and if they had not bombed two try scoring opportunities in the First half who knows. All parra in the second half.

Given the speeding up of the game, there were a lot of unforced errors which is partly down to "ring rust" but sooner or later an NRL side is going to get a compete "trouting" on the scoreboard for as Parra showed once you get a roll on it's difficult to stop near the end.

Andrew Voss commentary style is ideosyncratic, mentions to Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Domino Theory and The Last Dance (NBA dcumentary) plus Blake Ferguson as "the fergosaurus". You could almost think he is snorting columbian marching powder before taking the mike. Obviously the A team commentators are doing Roosters - Rabbtohs ...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

15 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

What about the new rule regarding ruck infringements.  Seems to be getting praise in the Aussie press.

Are we thinking about this too? I suppose we should consider it if it reduces close contact entanglements in the ruck. Seemed to speed the game up even more though and give Parra even more momentum.

I thought the crowd noise worked well. Not perfect, but nothing too out of whack with what was happening ion the pitch. Now we've seen to work, can't really imagine watching a game in any sport in near silence now.        

Enjoyed that . First things first , the Eels really do look the dogs wotsits . Big , strong , direct pack , creation in the middle and plenty of strike speed and power out wide .  Secondly , what a load of tripe was spouted about one ref , like it was the end of the game ( much from the refs ) . It was way better ... and irony of ironies it was even faster . The first half speed was incredible . We saw less ref ( hallelujah ) , much simpler without the second ref getting over involved for the sake of it , and contradicting the other one . It was just better and they should stick with this - it was an eye opener for them . Purely self interest from the refs wanting two on the paddock . Thirdly , it looked like they’d never been away , really physical game with the players in great shape . Fourthly , the 6 again .... great but still an anomaly in that a team should have an option to kick at goal I reckon . There’ll be controversy late in a tight game with teams deliberately slowing it down knowing they can’t give away 2. Coverage was great and crowd noise worked great 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Enjoyed that . First things first , the Eels really do look the dogs wotsits . Big , strong , direct pack , creation in the middle and plenty of strike speed and power out wide .  Secondly , what a load of tripe was spouted about one ref , like it was the end of the game ( much from the refs ) . It was way better ... and irony of ironies it was even faster . The first half speed was incredible . We saw less ref ( hallelujah ) , much simpler without the second ref getting over involved for the sake of it , and contradicting the other one . It was just better and they should stick with this - it was an eye opener for them . Purely self interest from the refs wanting two on the paddock . Thirdly , it looked like they’d never been away , really physical game with the players in great shape . Fourthly , the 6 again .... great but still an anomaly in that a team should have an option to kick at goal I reckon . There’ll be controversy late in a tight game with teams deliberately slowing it down knowing they can’t give away 2. Coverage was great and crowd noise worked great 

I hadn't thought about the penalty issue, definitely will cause a controversy soon. I think the attacking team should have an 'advantage' play on the first new tackle, so they can kill the ball if they want to and take a kick. 

7 hours ago, Southerner said:

I thought he should’ve gone looking for work to try and turn the game. Wasn’t enough effort for me but hopefully he’ll learn. 

Did you think so.  He was only on the pitch 26 minutes but carried the ball 8 times for 80 metres which is a fair effort.  I thought he went looking for work ok and put his hand up for some carries early in the set.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Brisbane had their chances and if they had not bombed two try scoring opportunities in the First half who knows. All parra in the second half.

Given the speeding up of the game, there were a lot of unforced errors which is partly down to "ring rust" but sooner or later an NRL side is going to get a compete "trouting" on the scoreboard for as Parra showed once you get a roll on it's difficult to stop near the end.

Andrew Voss commentary style is ideosyncratic, mentions to Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Domino Theory and The Last Dance (NBA dcumentary) plus Blake Ferguson as "the fergosaurus". You could almost think he is snorting columbian marching powder before taking the mike. Obviously the A team commentators are doing Roosters - Rabbtohs ...

Bossy is the best commentator in the whole game.

new rise.jpg

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I liked the idea and at first sight I thought it worked really well in practice as it is. IMO there are too many infringements under the laws of the game where kicking for goal is an option. 

Big thumbs up from me for the whole thing. As good as could be expected in the circumstances.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

52 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Did you think so.  He was only on the pitch 26 minutes but carried the ball 8 times for 80 metres which is a fair effort.  I thought he went looking for work ok and put his hand up for some carries early in the set.

I didn’t know the stats, I was maybe a bit harsh, just always feel a rookie needs to try and make a name for himself. Could’ve got more involved especially as he was so fresh when opponents are tiring. 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I think Southerner was watching a different game to you Dunbar. He was always there or thereabouts when Broncos were bringing the ball out fro their own 20 on the first or second tackle. Put in a cracking hit to snuff out an Eels attack on their left edge as well. Only got one opportunity in attack and that was a forward pass to him.

Archived