Sign in to follow this  
Mumby Magic

One Club Men XIII

Reet next up One club men 13. I know theres some obvious non inclusions but Ive been trying to get a team together. Positions are slightly amiss but heres my loyal 13.

1 John Holmes

2 David Redfearn

3 Kris Radlinski

4 Paul Wellens

5 Craig Lingard

6 John Joyner

7 Rob Burrow

8 Ian Lucas

9 Keiron Cunningham

10 Brian Mcdermott

11 JJB

12 Karl Fairbank

13 Kevin Sinfield

• Like 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

7 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Forgot about him. Lack of backs.

Tends to be the way I guess, v few finish at the top and backs have the most opportunities to move for better money/opportunities elsewhere. 

I imagine you'll get several long serving players like Keith Senior and Ryan Hall off the top of my head, but without going way back it could be difficult to get 1 club backs. (Unless its very short careers I suppose)

55 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Looked at Myler but played for Balmain

I sort of pretended as it was in the off season it didn’t count—— I know there’s plenty of time for him to move on, but for now I’ll replace Myler with Jonny Lomax 

• Thanks 1

Gregory Mounis (over 250 appearances for Les Dracs) would be a more than useful forward, possibly coming off the bench.

Parry Gordon 543 games for Warrington, 2 testimonials over 20 years service. That's  the ultimate one club man. 

Edited by ELBOWSEYE
  • Like 1

Joe Ferguson     Oldham (only club)     627 appearances      1899-1923       Average 26.125 per year for 24 years.

Joe's appearances would have been well over 700 had World War 1 not intervened to prevent a even greater total.

This link shows his details on the Oldham RL Heritage website  https://orl-heritagetrust.org.uk/player/joe-ferguson/

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 2

Vs best off top of my head

1 Slater

2 Hancock

3 ET

4 Gasnier

5 Mullins

6 Lockyer 

7 Mortimer 

8 Roach

9 Elias

10 Harragan

11 Sironen

12 Pearce

13 Gallen

Maybe pick your teams from this list ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_one-club_men_in_rugby_league

The list shows the most appearances as a one-club player to be Albert Goldthorpe of Hunslet with 682. However those appearances include playing 7 seasons at Rugby Union for Hunslet before the Northern Union split in 1985.

The second on the list (but the player who has achieved the feat more than any other since RL was formed) is Joe Ferguson of Oldham with 627 (all after the NU split) and who I mentioned in a post two above this one.

Only two other players top the 600 mark ... John Joyner of Castleford (613) and Harry Wilkinson of Wakefield (605).

The current player with the highest total is James Roby of St.Helens. On the above list it shows 408 although that is up to 22 April 2018 whereas at the end of 2019 his total had risen to 451 and just one more than Wigan's Sean O'Loughlin.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The list shows the most appearances as a one-club player to be Albert Goldthorpe of Hunslet with 682. However those appearances include playing 7 seasons at Rugby Union for Hunslet before the Northern Union split in 1985.

The second on the list (but the player who has achieved the feat more than any other since RL was formed) is Joe Ferguson of Oldham with 627 (all after the NU split) and who I mentioned in a post two above this one.

Only two other players top the 600 mark ... John Joyner of Castleford (613) and Harry Wilkinson of Wakefield (605).

The current player with the highest total is James Roby of St.Helens. On the above list it shows 408 although that is up to 22 April 2018 whereas at the end of 2019 his total had risen to 451 and just one more than Wigan's Sean O'Loughlin.

I am trying (and failing) to think why David Ferriol is not on the list, which I assume excludes the players' junior development.  What am I forgetting?

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I am trying (and failing) to think why David Ferriol is not on the list, which I assume excludes the players' junior development.  What am I forgetting?

He played 2 games for Limoux so not a one-club player.

15 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Vs best off top of my head

1 Slater

2 Hancock

3 ET

4 Gasnier

5 Mullins

6 Lockyer 

7 Mortimer 

8 Roach

9 Elias

10 Harragan

11 Sironen

12 Pearce

13 Gallen

Mullins and ET played for leeds.

3 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

There goes the thread ???

• Haha 1

On 28/05/2020 at 20:25, ELBOWSEYE said:

Parry Gordon 543 games for Warrington, 2 testimonials over 20 years service. That's  the ultimate one club man. 

I see you and raise you, John Joyner 613 games for Cas, 20 years covering 3 decades,also 2 testimonials ?

Edited by fatboystu

Of players from my era of watching RL so late 80s to 2020 and only including current players if past 30 years old:

1. Billy Slater

2. Hazem El Masri

3. Jarrod Croker

4. Matt Cooper
5.Anthony Minichiello 

6. Darren Lockyer

7. Rob Burrow

8. Shane Webcke 

9. Cameron Smith

10. Matt Scott

11. Wayne Pearce

12. Nathan Hindmarsh