Elite 1

If Rugby League in England is to avoid withering and dying we need a strong French competition to provide new players, fans and a TV deal, plus a Champions League style competition. The RFL haven’t pushed this at all, they are clueless, and selfish Super Greed owners haven’t thought of it because they are more interested in their own clubs.

I suggest we reinvigorate Elite 1 (and therefore the lower leagues in France), by keeping the existing strong clubs from places that people have heard of (nobody will want to watch them otherwise) and introducing some new ones in big cities where there is lots of money and where they’ll be well supported.

My idea is fairly simple, we need 12 mega wealthy individuals or groups willing to invest in a club, and there will be minimum requirements around youth set ups, quality of food at home games and stadium size (10,000 minimum).

Teams could be as follows;

Avignon

Carcassonne 

Lyon

Marseille

Montpellier 

Toulouse - move from the Championship

Catalans - move from SL

Paris

Bordeaux

Barcelona

Valencia

Brussels  

The rest of the existing Elite 1 could go into Elite 2, they’re all from small villages anyway and don’t add anything to the game. 

Then we just need a free to air TV deal with the biggest channels in France, Spain and Belgium with two or three live games shown each week, plus highlights programmes etc. And finally each year there would be a Champions league style competition between the best E1, SL and NRL clubs with the final shown on TV around the world. 

If we can do this it will save Rugby League from impending doom. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Or super league 

Manchester 

Newcastle 

Liverpool 

London 

Bath 

Toronto 

Barcelona 

Paris

Dublin 

Edinburgh 

Birmingham 

New York 

As the original teams are small towns 

What no Cardiff I’m sure more Adults and Children play Rugby League in Wales than in Scotland and Ireland.

We need 12 mega wealthy individuals or groups...

Bloody hell, that doesn’t even exist in the SL, let alone for a product that is consistently inconsistent and of no value.

Mate, I love the dream, but seriously, that’s all it is.

Sorry to put a dampener on this (I understand the love of the game and enthusiasm:) however what FRL needs is for the traditional clubs to be assisted.

ELITE 1 (In no particular order)

LEZIGNAN

LIMOUX

CARCASSONNE

ST GAUDENS 

VILLENEUVE SUR LOT

ALBI

CARPENTRAS

AVIGNON

ST ESTEVE 

PIA (Would be great to have back) or PALAU

Other areas from 

VILLEFRANCHE DE ROUERGUE

SALON

ROANNE

CAHORS

LYON (Has had many chances and still has blown it over and over again)

As it seems there is no chance of a TV deal like before SPORT + etc I would run a LIVE YOU TUBE channel one match a week which in fact in this day and age would attract a larger viewership than sat/cable TV anyway.

Most of the teams above have produced some wonderful players over the years and would continue to do so, talk of big cities forget it its not in the DNA (Above is:)

Paul

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

If Rugby League in England is to avoid withering and dying we need a strong French competition to provide new players, fans and a TV deal, plus a Champions League style competition. The RFL haven’t pushed this at all, they are clueless, and selfish Super Greed owners haven’t thought of it because they are more interested in their own clubs.

I suggest we reinvigorate Elite 1 (and therefore the lower leagues in France), by keeping the existing strong clubs from places that people have heard of (nobody will want to watch them otherwise) and introducing some new ones in big cities where there is lots of money and where they’ll be well supported.

My idea is fairly simple, we need 12 mega wealthy individuals or groups willing to invest in a club, and there will be minimum requirements around youth set ups, quality of food at home games and stadium size (10,000 minimum).

Avignon

Carcassonne 

Lyon

Marseille

Montpellier 

Catalans - move from SL

Paris

Bordeaux

Barcelona

Valencia

Brussels  

The rest of the existing Elite 1 could go into Elite 2, they’re all from small villages anyway and don’t add anything to the game. 

Then we just need a free to air TV deal with the biggest channels in France, Spain and Belgium with two or three live games shown each week, plus highlights programmes etc. And finally each year there would be a Champions league style competition between the best E1, SL and NRL clubs with the final shown on TV around the world. 

You’ve got to cut back on that  Downham Market moonshine Eddie.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Congratulations, you’ve nearly ticked all the boxes for a baths!t crazy idea. Add in conferences and you’ve done it. 

I forgot conferences, will remember next time. I also forgot converting players from other sports ?‍♂️

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

We need 12 mega wealthy individuals or groups...

Bloody hell, that doesn’t even exist in the SL, let alone for a product that is consistently inconsistent and of no value.

Mate, I love the dream, but seriously, that’s all it is.

Sorry I thought it was obvious I was taking the ######. I’d love a strong elite 1, really love it, but I can’t see it happening any time soon sadly. 

1 hour ago, barnyia said:

There is a sport deal with occitanie TV and now repeats are being shown on a French internet /TV sports station, France sports or something like that, 

Is Occitanie TV something that most households in SW France have?

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Avignon

Carcassonne 

Lyon

Marseille

Montpellier 

Catalans - move from SL

Paris

Bordeaux

Barcelona

Valencia

Brussels  

I'd suggest you use commercial FTA & go halves on advertising revenue from commercial breaks with them. You cough up for providing the content, they cough up to provide the production. 

33 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Is Occitanie TV something that most households in SW France have?

Depends where your aerial is pointing to, I don't have it, as I don't point towards the montpellier aerial, it's on the satellite boxes too, 

Or you can watch online 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Sorry I thought it was obvious I was taking the ######. I’d love a strong elite 1, really love it, but I can’t see it happening any time soon sadly. 

Well it appears your supposed irony was lost on a few of us. A strange thread altogether then.

27 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If I had any I would

In fact I think Skolars offer a share in the club you can buy

If Broncos did it I'd consider buying something

I’d put a couple of hundred quid into a team (obviously with no expectation of getting any money back) but I don’t think any clubs do that. 

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’d put a couple of hundred quid into a team (obviously with no expectation of getting any money back) but I don’t think any clubs do that. 

I’m sure some do. I think I’m right in saying Rochdale and Hunslet are fan-owned, so they would accept it. I’m sure most clubs would happily accept a cheque for a few hundred quid anyway but I’m also sure you could sponsor players/advertising boards at some clubs. 

46 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m sure some do. I think I’m right in saying Rochdale and Hunslet are fan-owned, so they would accept it. I’m sure most clubs would happily accept a cheque for a few hundred quid anyway but I’m also sure you could sponsor players/advertising boards at some clubs. 

I’d want some shares though, not to just give it to them. 

Archived