Elite 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I’d put a couple of hundred quid into a team (obviously with no expectation of getting any money back) but I don’t think any clubs do that. 

Wasn't this what Batley did a few years ago ? My one share in them means I get a letter from them every so often.

PS I was once offered Fulham shares (during the Chiswick days) but never took the offer up.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

28 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m sure you’d get something along those lines at a fan owned club. 

Nice one ta, I’ll email Rochdale. I liked what Andy Mazey had to say when he was at Swinton. 

need an 8 team English league , 8 team French / Spanish League and an 8 team Celtic League Ireland / Scotland and Wales . A proper six nations international scene . European Cup and a challenge cup . But without the money none of this is possible . 

Chief Crazy Eagle

1 hour ago, superten said:

need an 8 team English league , 8 team French / Spanish League and an 8 team Celtic League Ireland / Scotland and Wales . A proper six nations international scene . European Cup and a challenge cup . But without the money none of this is possible . 

Personally I’d find an 8 team league massively dull, to the extent that I probably wouldn’t watch it. Even the current 12 in SL sees too many repeat fixtures. 

1 hour ago, superten said:

Yeah I like this idea and would work with a European competition running alongside it. 

I've said it for so many years, UK clubs should take a European approach to growth, look at RU's Heineken cup or whatever it's called this week 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Personally I’d find an 8 team league massively dull, to the extent that I probably wouldn’t watch it. Even the current 12 in SL sees too many repeat fixtures. 

The idea would be domestic league of home away for 14 games . Then to run along side European cup and European challenge cup . Top four from the 3 leagues (English , Celtic and French/Spanish ) . To form two pools of six with two teams from each of the leagues in each pool . Play each other home and away for ten games . Top four in each pool making quarter finals . So with 14 domestic league s and ten European games gives each club 24 matches at least.

Chief Crazy Eagle

2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Yeah I like this idea and would work with a European competition running alongside it. 

I've said it for so many years, UK clubs should take a European approach to growth, look at RU's Heineken cup or whatever it's called this week 

The idea would be domestic league of home away for 14 games . Then to run along side European cup and European challenge cup . Top four from the 3 leagues (English , Celtic and French/Spanish ) . To form two pools of six with two teams from each of the leagues in each pool . Play each other home and away for ten games . Top four in each pool making quarter finals . So with 14 domestic league s and ten European games gives each club 24 matches at least

Chief Crazy Eagle

15 minutes ago, superten said:

The idea would be domestic league of home away for 14 games . Then to run along side European cup and European challenge cup . Top four from the 3 leagues (English , Celtic and French/Spanish ) . To form two pools of six with two teams from each of the leagues in each pool . Play each other home and away for ten games . Top four in each pool making quarter finals . So with 14 domestic league s and ten European games gives each club 24 matches at least.

It would be terrible, the fourth best English team would destroy the best from anywhere else. 

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It would be terrible, the fourth best English team would destroy the best from anywhere else. 

not in time if each club in all three leagues got the same tv funding .

Chief Crazy Eagle

8 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Bring back Treize Tournoi. 

It was wonderful the problem was the English teams (Apart from Lancashire Lynx who made the final) didn't take it seriously the french did.

The final in Toulouse (Over 9000 I was there was brilliant) organised by Carlos from Toulouse even though his team were not part of the competition the man is a legend I have seen him at the Dragons cheering them on (Never vice versa at Toulouse:( 

We must do everything we can to help the traditional French teams (Dragons and Toulouse will be fine in SL) but an 8 team comp every year between English/French clubs would be fab ?

COME ON RFL/FRL as bald and bankrupt says LETS DO IT:)))))))

Paul

34 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The problem with the UK game and largely why it hasn't moved forward is it's always looking for a quick fix. 

Yes the French clubs would take a battering for the first few years but, honestly what other options do English clubs have? 

The first RU European cup was a disaster commercially now look at it 

1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

The problem with the UK game and largely why it hasn't moved forward is it's always looking for a quick fix. 

Yes the French clubs would take a battering for the first few years but, honestly what other options do English clubs have? 

The first RU European cup was a disaster commercially now look at it 

You obviously appreciate the difference between where League is played and where Union is? In case it had escaped your notice there aren’t any clubs even at NCL level in Ireland or Scotland, two league one teams in Wales (one of which aren’t NCL level currently) and Elite 1 is probably on par with League One - no how would those teams get to SL level by introducing a European Cup?

23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You obviously appreciate the difference between where League is played and where Union is? In case it had escaped your notice there aren’t any clubs even at NCL level in Ireland or Scotland, two league one teams in Wales (one of which aren’t NCL level currently) and Elite 1 is probably on par with League One - no how would those teams get to SL level by introducing a European Cup?

Your right a Celtic League is a pipe dream but France always has potential and is achievable with good planning.

Don't compare Elite 1 clubs to UK clubs rather look at Catalan and TO and how well their teams are doing? Try and pull the remaining 6 French clubs up to their level. 

The RFL/Super League has thirty-seven, soon to be thirty-eight sides under its jurisdiction, a pretty phenomenal number really, considering the size of the sport and the finances in the sport. The last thing The RFL needs to do when we adapt to the new normal that’s upon us is to plough money into French Rugby League. That’s for the French Government (unlikely), the French game (also unlikely) and any investors who are passionate about the game there (also unlikely) to do. 

15 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Your right a Celtic League is a pipe dream but France always has potential and is achievable with good planning.

Don't compare Elite 1 clubs to UK clubs rather look at Catalan and TO and how well their teams are doing? Try and pull the remaining 6 French clubs up to their level. 

Elite One teams arent even professional clubs 

18 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

France is achievable with good planning? Who’s going to pay for it - you?

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The RFL/Super League has thirty-seven, soon to be thirty-eight sides under its jurisdiction, a pretty phenomenal number really, considering the size of the sport and the finances in the sport. The last thing The RFL needs to do when we adapt to the new normal that’s upon us is to plough money into French Rugby League. That’s for the French Government (unlikely), the French game (also unlikely) and any investors who are passionate about the game there (also unlikely) to do. 

Exactly, why would the RFL put money into Elite 1 any more than the Premier League would put money into Ligue 1. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Exactly, why would the RFL put money into Elite 1 any more than the Premier League would put money into Ligue 1. 

Who is asking the RFL to put money into the French game? 

In regards to yr focus on money for a French league. Catalan and TO receive enough money from sponsors and local authorities to be sustainable, they're not reliant on a single wealthy director. Also all the Aude clubs collectively receive enough funding from local bodies to support a pro team. In my view the biggest issue France has is organisation, competence and unity. Yes they'll have to source the funds and that will be a challenging but it's achievable. 

It's all about putting forward the idea of a pro league with decent branding to potential sponsors and structuring a good business model for each club.

I want to stress the bigger problem French Rugby League has is organisation not funding, their clubs especially Catalan and TO get more monies from local authorities than UK clubs and Catalan in a catchment area of just 400,000 is already one of the bigger income earners in SL 

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

Who is asking the RFL to put money into the French game? 

In regards to yr focus on money for a French league. Catalan and TO receive enough money from sponsors and local authorities to be sustainable, they're not reliant on a single wealthy director. Also all the Aude clubs collectively receive enough funding from local bodies to support a pro team. In my view the biggest issue France has is organisation, competence and unity. Yes they'll have to source the funds and that will be a challenging but it's achievable. 

It's all about putting forward the idea of a pro league with decent branding to potential sponsors and structuring a good business model for each club.

I want to stress the bigger problem French Rugby League has is organisation not funding, their clubs especially Catalan and TO get more monies from local authorities than UK clubs and Catalan in a catchment area of just 400,000 is already one of the bigger income earners in SL 

Have you told the French RL or their clubs this? I bet they’re crying out for someone who knows what they’re doing to tell them how it’s done. 

maybe have an amateur comp France elite one teams , England national league conference teams, Irish elite league( which has 12 teams) Wales north and south conference teams and the Scottish league teams .

Chief Crazy Eagle

52 minutes ago, superten said:

maybe have an amateur comp France elite one teams , England national league conference teams, Irish elite league( which has 12 teams) Wales north and south conference teams and the Scottish league teams .

Sorry superten that would be a backward step, the top french sides will hold their own v the bottom clubs in the championship at home I think the way to go would be to first simply select the English teams based on a match up and enthusiasm for the competition (French teams top 4) 

From the current championship clubs + League 1 I would invite the likes of London Broncos/York/Newcastle/Coventry if I am making sense here:)

Paul

Archived