6 again rule and 1 ref a big hit for the NRL

It seems to me that the faster pace results in more fatigue and therefore a more staggered formation because players can't keep up. That leads to less structured play and players standing deeper and receiving the ball in more space. The attacking plays feel more like they did in the early-mid 90s.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

When I was watching the Storm v Raiders my thought was that we are @&*$:#)@:’ak at the WC as the fitness levels of the Aussies, NZ and Tongan players in the NRL will vastly improve.

Will the tournament be under those rules though?

8 hours ago, dkw said:

Anyone agree there's been a lot less infringements in the last 2 games compared to the Parra v Broncos game? I'm guessing coaches saw just how damaging it is to be on the end of multiple 6 agains and have got the players to clean up the ruck. 

The mess at the PTB has always been due to players & coaches and these early games under the revised laws confirm that

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

The mess at the PTB has always been due to players & coaches and these early games under the revised laws confirm that

Yes , and the irony is they then complain about slow rucks in games 

8 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Maybe not.  But the players currently in the NRL will still be a lot fitter and have greater endurance than they had 10 weeks ago.

Certainly agree but your comment was regarding the WC which will be under those rules.

i think we also saw a little disparity in fitness between teams some of those games.  The standards will improve even further imo.  

Loathe as I am to just import changes from the NRL, if this proves consistently effective in the NRL at tidying up the mess at the ruck area, and we have a couple of months to judge it, is there not a good argument to utilise it in the UK competitions after the restart?

46 minutes ago, M j M said:

Loathe as I am to just import changes from the NRL, if this proves consistently effective in the NRL at tidying up the mess at the ruck area, and we have a couple of months to judge it, is there not a good argument to utilise it in the UK competitions after the restart?

I think it is worth remembering that the ruck in the NRL was in much better shape than the UK game before these changes. The play the ball was much cleaner and while there were tactical penalties conceded by defending teams, overall there was less interference (maybe because the two ref system had already clamped down on this).

I do fear that if we tried this here it would decend into chaos as the ruck area is already a lottery when it comes to penalties with both the tackler and ball carrier breaking every law they can think of in every tackle.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

I think it is worth remembering that the ruck in the NRL was in much better shape than the UK game before these changes. The play the ball was much cleaner and while there were tactical penalties conceded by defending teams, overall there was less interference (maybe because the two ref system had already clamped down on this).

I do fear that if we tried this here it would decend into chaos as the ruck area is already a lottery when it comes to penalties with both the tackler and ball carrier breaking every law they can think of in every tackle.

Maybe it would allow us to do the clampdown which we've always wanted - but instead of the game being blighted by lots of penalties it will very quickly become a very dangerous thing to be a team which likes to interfere at the ruck.

Just now, M j M said:

Maybe it would allow us to do the clampdown which we've always wanted - but instead of the game being blighted by lots of penalties it will very quickly become a very dangerous thing to be a team which likes to interfere at the ruck.

Yes, I would very much hope so.

But unlike the NRL, we also want to clamp down on the tackled player actually playing the ball properly as well... there was an edict to enforce this when the Super League kicked off but was duly ignored by all. The NRL had already been through this and got the proper play the ball back.

This change is all about penalizing the defending team for interference and I really worry it would make the discipline of the tackled player and the execution of the play the ball even worse as players try and 'win' a reset tackle count.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

This change is all about penalizing the defending team for interference and I really worry it would make the discipline of the tackled player and the execution of the play the ball even worse as players try and 'win' a reset tackle count.

You’d hope refs can tell genuine interference from milking. The NRL refs have. 

I think it will come in. If not this summer then eventually. 

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

You’d hope refs can tell genuine interference from milking. The NRL refs have. 

I think it will come in. If not this summer then eventually. 

I believe that this would only work if we also enforced proper play the ball's as well. Otherwise the ruck area will become even more messy with tackled players knowing they can get away with terrible play the balls while also knowing any sign of interference gives them a repeat set.

I think this is working out in the NRL because their ruck was already well managed and less of a mess. We are not there yet.

On 29/05/2020 at 09:40, dkw said:

I think combined with less subs we jyst won't see teams sticking to "big lads down the middle" anymore, mainly because they can't as it will see them tire very quickly. Balls are going wider, earlier in the 2 games I've seen so far. 

If you like that then go to watch Basketball. 

I have not seen the games, but if its as suggested then the game is going down hill.

But I've not seen them, alI can say is that even currently the game is too fast and too easy to make yardage.

9 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

I have not seen the games, but if its as suggested then the game is going down hill.

But I've not seen them, alI can say is that even currently the game is too fast and too easy to make yardage.

So your commenting on something you havent seen? Maybe go watch the games first. 

10 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

The new law is a great success so far. Although it is still early days.

There are two elements that make up the 'speed' of the game.

1. The flow of the game as the ball is in play... speed of the ruck being the main area that defines this. 

2. The amount of stoppages and the time it takes to restart play... penalties, scrum, line drop outs etc.

Over the last several years it is the second part that causes the problem. It is the amount and time of the stoppages that is the issue, not the actual flow of the game. We have introduced the shot clock etc. to address this.

This new law allows the referees to address the discipline at the ruck without stopping the game every few minutes for a penalty... particularly early in the game.

It may have a positive effect on the ruck speed  but (far more importantly) it will reduce the stoppages and keep the play moving which is a real bonus. As a spectacle the game is much improved not having a load of penalties being blown but teams still penalised for ruck interference. 

birlliant rule... has to come into super league on the restart. It has IMHO done what people on here have been calling for for ages and gives the outside backs and skill players a chance, limits the impact of the behmoths of front rowers and cleans up the play the ball... 

The games i saw this weekend i thought were fantastic and exciting spectacles and the players looked as skillful as we know they are. 

Super league players will learn, the ruck will clean up. The offending team is punished heavily, a cynical penalty and you get a rest, yes you lose yardage and the tackle count resets but you get to rest and reset the line.. with this new rule you dont and teams have been going the length in 10 tackle sets as they get to hit the tired team hard and with no break.. 

Its been a great addition IMHO.

I’ve loved the whole spectacle of the games . Totally refreshing . I was sick of ref intrusion and robotic nitpicking to tick their KPI’s , I was sick of stoppages and I was a bit sick of how regimented the game was and how the wrestle in the ruck was a defining factor . The changes have just tweaked things for the better , we’re seeing the players play and it’s far better . Now though we’ll see how the coaches adapt and what happens in the coming weeks 

I will say again (and I apologise for sounding like a broken record) this will only work over here if the player in possession is also punished for an incorrect play the ball. Otherwise the defending team will be penalised more than ever and the play the ball will get worse and worse as an attacker looks for the advantage of a fast (messy) play the ball knowing they will get 6 again with any interference judged.

The NRL started this with a much cleaner ruck than us and a properly enforced play the ball which is why it has worked so well over there.

Someone mentions fatigue.  Fatigue comes into the game and hence replacements because of the 10 metre (11 yard) rule.  The game is too fast as it is, the easy yardage after 6 tackles is more boring. Castleford will be making their pitch even shorter than it already is...

It seems at the ruck is now effectively to be aboshed?    Not to mention prop forwards. We are still left with the arbitary hairsbreath decision by the referee and the opportunity of a defender to milk a penalty.  You can get a fast game with tick and pass. Whats the obsession with speed?  I can see how why other clubs are interested in Bateman.

Colour me unconvinced as it stands.

2 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Someone mentions fatigue.  Fatigue comes into the game and hence replacements because of the 10 metre (11 yard) rule.  The game is too fast as it is, the easy yardage after 6 tackles is more boring. Castleford will be making their pitch even shorter than it already is...

It seems at the ruck is now effectively to be aboshed?    Not to mention prop forwards. We are still left with the arbitary hairsbreath decision by the referee and the opportunity of a defender to milk a penalty.  You can get a fast game with tick and pass. Whats the obsession with speed?  I can see how why other clubs are interested in Bateman.

Colour me unconvinced as it stands.

Watch a couple of the games this week and then make a decision on whether you like it or not.

You may be pleasantly surprised. 

7 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Are they free?

No, I don't think there is a way to access them legally in the UK without paying for them.

My two methods are....

Sky Sports as they are showing them all at the moment.

You also have WatchNRL where you can see every game of every round even if Sky drop their number of games.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I will say again (and I apologise for sounding like a broken record) this will only work over here if the player in possession is also punished for an incorrect play the ball. Otherwise the defending team will be penalised more than ever and the play the ball will get worse and worse as an attacker looks for the advantage of a fast (messy) play the ball knowing they will get 6 again with any interference judged.

The NRL started this with a much cleaner ruck than us and a properly enforced play the ball which is why it has worked so well over there.

yes they need to clean that up but we shouldnt be looking at that as a reason not to bring this rule in, just make sure that they police it too.

Archived