Our turn next?

Where does it leave us? Watching (and hopefully learning) to see if the Football season restart creates problems with close-contact sport in the UK. To be blunt, they can afford to deal with any negative outcomes better than we can.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It leaves us with 9 weeks to get ready , for a nine round SL played from the start of August ( have a 9 s magic weekend as a warm up 2 weeks before kicking off ) finishing with a semi then final mid October , re start 2021 season early , boxing day giving clubs byes after traveling to Canada and plenty of time to prepare for the WC 

What I don’t quite get is why the inferior code is suddenly talking about introducing all sorts of rule changes to reduce contact and we are not (nor has the NRL, of course, in fact they have increased contact time with the six-again rule). Are they simply using Covid as an opportunity to make their game less tedious to watch or do they really need to do that?

I’ve seen no reports of us making ‘Covid secure’ rule changes, or anything in the government guidance on elite sport training to that effect, so I can only assume there’s no issue. 

6 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

What I don’t quite get is why the inferior code is suddenly talking about introducing all sorts of rule changes to reduce contact and we are not (nor has the NRL, of course, in fact they have increased contact time with the six-again rule). Are they simply using Covid as an opportunity to make their game less tedious to watch or do they really need to do that?

I’ve seen no reports of us making ‘Covid secure’ rule changes, or anything in the government guidance on elite sport training to that effect, so I can only assume there’s no issue. 

Quite simply the RFU have hired Lovejoy to create a forged document showing that William Webb Ellis on a lost page of his diary - found naturally underneath a Leicester Car Park - noted that each side should consist of 13 fine upstanding gentlemen and that Artists should be positioned behind the dead ball line to sketch, record and present the drawing to the Referee so show if the ball was correctly grounded.

P.S the Artist role worked well for many years until a young Mr S Dali bolloxed it up!

7 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

It leaves us with 9 weeks to get ready , for a nine round SL played from the start of August ( have a 9 s magic weekend as a warm up 2 weeks before kicking off ) finishing with a semi then final mid October , re start 2021 season early , boxing day giving clubs byes after traveling to Canada and plenty of time to prepare for the WC 

Why would we give multiple teams a bye each week in a twelve team league?

59 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Quite simply the RFU have hired Lovejoy to create a forged document showing that William Webb Ellis on a lost page of his diary - found naturally underneath a Leicester Car Park - noted that each side should consist of 13 fine upstanding gentlemen and that Artists should be positioned behind the dead ball line to sketch, record and present the drawing to the Referee so show if the ball was correctly grounded.

P.S the Artist role worked well for many years until a young Mr S Dali bolloxed it up!

Lovejoy again? They are pushing it. Last time they found a page from William Webb Ellis’ ‘diary’ it said Rugby School footballers were entitled to receive a stipend & side investments in Coffee Shoppes and other places of purveyance as long as they kept within ‘ye old remittance cappe’.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Why would we give multiple teams a bye each week in a twelve team league?

My suggestion is we start early ( Boxing day ) , this would require Toronto to play all away ( UK ) first , and then all home at the end of the season , due to this I would give every club traveling to Canada either a week off to prepare or a week after to recuperate , an early start will also stretch out the season in preparation for the WC 

18 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

My suggestion is we start early ( Boxing day ) , this would require Toronto to play all away ( UK ) first , and then all home at the end of the season , due to this I would give every club traveling to Canada either a week off to prepare or a week after to recuperate , an early start will also stretch out the season in preparation for the WC 

Ahh, I see “we must start on Boxing Day” is the new “we need 9s” in Rugby League circles. 

You’d also be giving teams byes who didn’t play Toronto and I presume you’re happy with that?

4 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Ahh, I see “we must start on Boxing Day” is the new “we need 9s” in Rugby League circles. 

You’d also be giving teams byes who didn’t play Toronto and I presume you’re happy with that?

No , it isn't , I've suggested it primarily to give the sport ( players ) longer to prepare for and maximise conditioning for the WC , I see it as a one off due to the current situation we are in 

IMO we need to end whatever season ( this is SL only by the way ) we have this year by the end of October , for contract reasons and to not then impinge on next season , we've already had 11 weeks off , it would take another 6/7 to get anywhere near the fitness levels required ( RL conditioning isn't like football , were they will have just needed a treadmill/stepper or bike to keep aerobic capacity ) so a start early August would give 3 months for Shortened season 

I've suggested a magic 9 s as an alternative to playing friendlies a couple of weeks prior to starting 

Hopefully by boxing day fans will be allowed and I'd expect bumper crowds which would certainly help financially , as I said it would require Toronto to be given a full away then full home fixture list , to negate any advantage this would give them there would be enough free weeks to give clubs byes when travelling 

Just a thought , much like the ones a couple of month ago I was saying weren't needed back then as we didn't know when we might be able to restart , that time is now upon us , so now is the time to sit down and organise the next 18 months 

I'm no fan of 9 s , but as a fair and equal warm up for all the clubs it could be ideal , giving the clubs the chance to give all their squads a run out 

Archived